Why become a member? ×

EMG BTC control, are you experienced?

ead

Whilst I'm on a roll...

I would dearly love to acquire a P-retro from John East but apparently they're beyond the top end of my budget (according to the delectable Mrs ead - can't see the problem personally, but there you go). I did some interweb research and found the EMG BTC unit so I was wondering has anybody used one of these, and if so what do you think of it?

Cheers
A

I had one of these fitted to my old passive Yamaha BBN5 years ago by the Bass Centre while they were still in Wapping (no longer mine - sold it to Owen in this very board). The circuit did a good job in that bass, the layout has a dual concentric knob (bass / treble boost & cut). There was the also the facility to change the settings by going into the panel on the back & changing the way it operates, although you'll have to remove the pickguard and go in through the front on a P bass.

I installed one on my old Japanese Bass Collection and very nice it was too. The treble cut/boost control has four pre-set frequencies which you can change via a couple of DIP switches on the circut board so you can choose between slap friendly hi end or growl friendly upper mids.

I don't imagine for a second that it's as comprehensive or flexible as the P-retro, but it's got a decent tonal palate.

I've got one in my Jazz, it replaced an Artec one and it works fine, nothing fancy it just does the job well. The switchable HF is quite good I did a bit of experimenting with this, there are 4 modes - 2 different frequency boosts and 2 different EQ curve shapes. I have a J Retro in my fretless and I was considering getting a BTC for that too since my J retro has developed a fault after less than a year.
If your budget is tight I'd look at the Artec one too as to be honest there doesn't seem to be much difference in performance - you can't select the HF on the Artec and its not quite so refined but in terms of use they are pretty much the same thing.
Neither will offer you the range of adjustment that you can get from the East ones, though having used one I've discovered that I tend to only dial in one setting anyway so I can probably get the sound I want with the amp and just have the onboard for fine tuning.

I had one in a Zoot for a short while. The bass side was ok but I found the treble side was too hissy, and really not very nice. I also had quick fiddle with a P retro (in a good Tokai P) and thought it was a fabulous piece of work...it really does enhance a P bass without distracting you from its basic character. Like all the best active designs, you quickly forget its an active bass and just use it.

I've got a BTC on my 6er. Hate it to be honest, the bass gives enough bass, but the mid and treble just gets honky and hissy - not nice! Also I'm in the situation where one of the concentric pots sheared, and getting a replcacement is proving to be a bit of a nightmare! John East all the way in my opinion

• Like 1

[quote name='goblin' timestamp='1328109175' post='1521976']
I've got a BTC on my 6er. Hate it to be honest, the bass gives enough bass, but the mid and treble just gets honky and hissy - not nice! Also I'm in the situation where one of the concentric pots sheared, and getting a replcacement is proving to be a bit of a nightmare! John East all the way in my opinion
[/quote]It doesn't have a mid, well mine doesn't anyway. :(

[quote name='goblin' timestamp='1328128809' post='1522440']
I've got a full system (2 single pots and 2 stacked)...it may not have mid for all I know. It's too damn complicated for my liking :lol:
[/quote]

That sounds like a BQC System - volume, blend, bass/treble stack, mid/sweep stack.

[quote name='goblin' timestamp='1328128809' post='1522440']
I've got a full system (2 single pots and 2 stacked)...it may not have mid for all I know. It's too damn complicated for my liking :lol:
[/quote]
Doesn't sound any more complicated than the East system to me (3 stacked pots). They are both very different beasts IMHO with their own little quirks and it really depends what you want form an onboard Preamp. I thought I knew the answer to that but having tried a few different ones out now I'm personally tempted to go passive with my next project.

Well thanks to simon1964 (a scholar and a gentleman) I have a P-retro on its way that has not caused any undue alarm with Mrs ead. I can confirm that all limbs and bodily particles still attached. Result :)

• 1 year later...
  • 7 years later...

I need some guidance on how to fix my EMG-HZ BTC System EQ controls in my Jazz Bass. I still get sound but it is so Diminished and yesterday when I was messing with the bass, I would Juggle the knobs and they are all Very tight in the holes. When I jiggled the plug-in cord the volume corrected itself and became at a normal level. Only to fade out again on its own and I could not get it to repeat this. What do you all think could be going on with my BTC controls? How do I fix this problem?

Thanks,

Marty Fields

[email protected]

1 hour ago, [email protected] said:

I need some guidance on how to fix my EMG-HZ BTC System EQ controls in my Jazz Bass. I still get sound but it is so Diminished and yesterday when I was messing with the bass, I would Juggle the knobs and they are all Very tight in the holes. When I jiggled the plug-in cord the volume corrected itself and became at a normal level. Only to fade out again on its own and I could not get it to repeat this. What do you all think could be going on with my BTC controls? How do I fix this problem?

Thanks,

Marty Fields

[email protected]

Might be better in the repairs section.

I have the BTC circuit paired with the EMG40DC pickups in my recently acquired G&L L5500. 
I love the clear and focused sound but the combination of pups and preamp is very unlike any other G&L I ever owned or played and reminds me a lot of the Spector Euro basses I owned a decade ago.

5103F08D-D83D-4A9B-8B26-77AEB1C48561.jpeg