Why become a member? ×

Rare 'Earnie' Ball Stingray

Wrong, wrong... WRONG! :lol:

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EARNIE-BALL-MUSICMAN-STINGRAY-BASS-GUITAR-1986-COLLECTORS-ITEM-RAREE-/260945148724?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item3cc18afb34#ht_500wt_1202"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EARNIE-BALL-MUSICMAN-STINGRAY-BASS-GUITAR-1986-COLLECTORS-ITEM-RAREE-/260945148724?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item3cc18afb34#ht_500wt_1202[/url]

[quote name='lowregisterhead' timestamp='1327832182' post='1517240']
Ouch. Very wrong. Wrong bridge, wrong pickup position, wrong controls, wrong neck plate, body's probably a faker too... maybe the neck might be original. Should I be a frothing pedant and message the seller?? I suspect he wouldn't give a stuff... :P
[/quote]

i report all ebay scams i see - do this one for me would you ?

ta la

The more I read this listing, the better it gets...

[b][u]"It would be better if this guitar was collected in person but if its collected by courier ye can have the pleasure in arranging this yourself with the risk being yours..."[/u][/b]

I think we be dealin' with pirates here, Jim lad! Aaaarr! :lol: The whole description sounds a lot funnier if you read it in the style of Blackbeard...

[b][u]"PROFFESIONALLY SET-UP..."[/u][/b]

Is the seller referring to whoever is unfortunate enough to buy it?

Edited by lowregisterhead

[quote name='lowregisterhead' timestamp='1328023366' post='1520437']
The more I read this listing, the better it gets...

[b][u]"It would be better if this guitar was collected in person but if its collected by courier ye can have the pleasure in arranging this yourself with the risk being yours..."[/u][/b]

I think we be dealin' with pirates here, Jim lad! Aaaarr! :lol: The whole description sounds a lot funnier if you read it in the style of Blackbeard...

[b][u]"PROFFESIONALLY SET-UP..."[/u][/b]

Is the seller referring to whoever is unfortunate enough to buy it?
[/quote]

Love the Set Up gag, I'll be nicking that one thank you very muchly :D

Can I clarify... that was NOT a Stingray?

I only ask as the buyer (£700+) has left positive feedback! :blink:

Now if this is a genuine buyer (as opposed to the buyer/seller leaving each other feedback to boost ratings or knowing each other), I'm tempted to contact him and point out that he has been fleeced but wonder if he is better left in blissful ignorance... until he comes to sell it! :(

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1329502639' post='1543566']
I'm fairly positive it is genuine.
[/quote]

The bass? :huh:

The headstock looks the wrong shape (the G tuner is skew-whiff, though they do look like MM branded ones) and fake tattoos are easy to come by; the neck plate is all wrong (aside from the fact it isn't a MM plate it looks the wrong size and shape)... isn't it? The bridge also looks cheap even though the mounting screws are located as per MM, the addition in front of the bridge is immaterial.

I genuinely had that tagged as a fake and wouldn't have touched with a BP at 100 paces!

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1329503939' post='1543606']
The bass? :huh:

The headstock looks the wrong shape (the G tuner is skew-whiff, though they do look like MM branded ones) and fake tattoos are easy to come by; the neck plate is all wrong (aside from the fact it isn't a MM plate it looks the wrong size and shape)... isn't it? The bridge also looks cheap even though the mounting screws are located as per MM, the addition in front of the bridge is immaterial.

I genuinely had that tagged as a fake and wouldn't have touched with a BP at 100 paces!
[/quote]

'Fraid so.

All these pics have been lifted from musicmanbass.org

The headstock is fine. Here is an '86-7

... and here's it's skunk stripe (this was the one point I had to check up for myself when this first got flagged) ...

As for the bridge (like I said before) it's either off a Bongo or a SUB...

Bongo 4 ...

SUB 4...

The ebay pics aren't great but I thought I could see the "Music Man" embossing so I'm guessing it's the Bongo bridge.

It was mentioned earlier that the pup placement was wrong... it looks fine to me but I can see how you could make that call given the extra plate in front of the bridge. Compare it to this one...

... also the controls are fine for 3eq.

As for the 4 bolt plate? These were used up to '90-1 and look a lot smaller than you think .

Part of me wonders if it had a refin but there isn't enough firm evedence to say so... apart from that it all adds up to me. ;)

Edited by Ou7shined