Why become a member? ×

The funkiest groove I have seen on YouTube for a while

chardbass

[quote name='Mikey D' post='172758' date='Apr 9 2008, 12:17 AM']I saw him with Jill Scott and really wasn't impressed with playing or sound...but he's definately better in those vids.[/quote]

How so Mikey?

[quote name='Josh' post='173315' date='Apr 9 2008, 05:19 PM']How so Mikey?[/quote]

Awful bass tone, but this may have been to with the sound engineer. And he was actually very sloppy. Not in a cool loose, kind of way, just sloppy.

Also, if you listen to any of her earlier live recordings the bass is more articulate and sits nicer in the groove.

Saying that, he looked like he was enjoying himself. I was too busy checking out Jill anyway to be fair.

Now [i]that[/i]'s what I call 'making a joyful noise'... what an impeccable groove. Just fabulous.
If the Church of England was a bit more like that and a bit less thou-thee-thine and pious, I reckon they'd get a lot more people through their doors on a Sunday :)

• 8 months later...

Just found [url="http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=16358686"]this.[/url]

It's the Jill Scott track from the Jools Holland DVD I mentioned earlier featuring Thaddeus "Terry" Tribbett on bass and his amazing cousin Erik on drums. This epitomises the pair of them for me (wait 'til it gets going in the middle).

Funnily enough this has been posted on a site by the drummer himself, where he has several examples of his playing.

[quote name='Josh' post='169989' date='Apr 4 2008, 07:23 PM']Ahh thats Sharay Reed!

American Gospel Bass Players are by far the most influential and talented guys around, and for me will always make me dive for my bass as opposed to most solo players, great choice Richard!

They naturally know how to groove better than most :)[/quote]

I'm with Josh on this, So many great gospel bass players in the States. I find them much more listenable than a lot of the, way more famous, jazz/funk guys out there :huh:

Nice! Have to say though that the clip reinforces my opinion of what is my least favourite bass sound, which is that wiry, modern Jazz Bass tone; I think I only like Js with flats!

BTW, is it me or is Bootsy dripping the Funk from the very first note he plays on the clip of him?

Nah, bootsy to me is more a leg end than a good player. I listened to the clips back there and there wasn't really anything outstanding there.

Now that Gospel bloke was amazing. He didn't play anything difficult, it was just the way he played it.

I didn't realise that Gospel was so huge in the US until I registered with Talkbs.there's loads of players over there doing Christian stuff.