Why become a member? ×

NBD - G&L content

blind pilot

NBD for me yesterday.

I am saving for my Wal, but I saw Pikeman's G&L L2000 tribute listed on here for a great price, and I have read lots about coaxing a Wal'esque' tone from them. So I bit the bullet, shot up to Steve and picked up the beast.

I was really worried about the neck, as it immediatly felt very 'big' compared to the svelt neck on the Dean.

But after playing for 3 hours with the band, I felt really at home on the neck.

And the tone of this thing...............WOW within about 40 minutes I had it dialed in, and it sounds monsterous, we played through our Tool tribute Set list, and at times, I was told - they could not hear a difference between me and Justins playing on the Wal :blush: :D :rolleyes: :gas: .

[attachment=98211:2012-01-25 22.56.37.jpg]

A picture to tell the story, the poor Dean, now relegated hangs lonely on the Wal..........My new favourite bass...............................

Another vote from me for the L-2000. Their lack of popularity is quite astonishing really and I can only assume down to the fact they don't say 'Fender' on the headstock. The versatility is truely impressive and it's not hard to hone in on pretty close P/J/Stingray tones. Perhaps because they are so chameleonic it's hard to isolate it's basic tone ? I suppose it's good that they aren't as popular as Fenders - a hidden gem.

[quote name='ChristopherGilbert' timestamp='1327577929' post='1513536']
Would you recommend the it to someone who is aiming to play fast/progressive stuff despite it's neck?
[/quote]

Dont get me wrong the neck is not like a cricket bat, I was just so used my Dean, which is super skinny. To me the neck feels wide but not deep, so I find it very comfortable, and found it easy to play the chord styles in the songs we do.

the best thing really would be to try one out!

Machines, I thing you would fine it hard to beat on value for money! I love it!

One of my favourite sounds: Neck pickup, passive. Coils in parallel (down towards floor), roll off the volume (very important !) and treble a bit... huge fat funky P bass tone. Rolling off the volume seems to make a huge difference to the sound of mine when in passive mode - makes it sound much more 'old school'.

[quote name='ChristopherGilbert' timestamp='1327577929' post='1513536']
Would you recommend the it to someone who is aiming to play fast/progressive stuff despite it's neck?
[/quote]

Tone wise absolutely. Regarding the neck, as "blind pilot" says, the best thing is to try one out. The Tribute l2000 comes with only one neck size i.e. 1.75" at the nut and 12" radius. With the USA L 2000's you can have a choice of neck sizes, the most common of which is the jazz neck at 1.5" at the nut.

While the L 2000 Tribute necks are no doubt on the chunky side, I find it comfortable. A compromise you could make is to check out the G&L JB2 Tribute (see link below). While it does not have the same choice of tones as the L2000, it is still an excellent bass, great value for money and has the jazz size neck.

[url="http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/TributeSeries/basses/JB-2/index.asp"]http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/TributeSeries/basses/JB-2/index.asp[/url]

Glad I could do my good deed for the day Jon.
It really is a marvellous bass, I just had the feeling it was going to sit unplayed.
I also now know that I'm a Precision man through and through. Still have GAS for a Jazz though.
Happy to see that it's gone to a good home.
A G&L with a Jazz neck might just be the perfect bass.

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1327582506' post='1513664']
One of my favourite sounds: Neck pickup, passive. Coils in parallel (down towards floor), roll off the volume (very important !) and treble a bit... huge fat funky P bass tone. Rolling off the volume seems to make a huge difference to the sound of mine when in passive mode - makes it sound much more 'old school'.
[/quote]

I find my USA L2000 is even richer and thumpier than the Tributes I used to own. In fact, I spend most of my time switch-fiddling, trying to dial out some of the richness to enable the bass to cut through in a mix. Best setting I've come up with is; neck pickup, passive, parrallel switching (bass-cut), both bass and treble knobs 8/10. To be honest, I've just about given up and I'm favouring my Blazer for live gigs.

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1327596558' post='1514002']
I find my USA L2000 is even richer and thumpier than the Tributes I used to own. [/quote]

I have no doubt that you do. However, a lot of people admit to not being able to tell the difference tone wise. Some even say that in some cases they prefer the Tribs.

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1327599490' post='1514057']
I have no doubt that you do. However, a lot of people admit to not being able to tell the difference tone wise. Some even say that in some cases they prefer the Tribs.
[/quote]

Errrr - I'm afraid I don't quite understand your comments. You seem to be suggesting that I'm almost boasting about the tone of the USA L2000, or perhaps I've misunderstood. In my post, I say that I find the USA L2000 richer and thumpier than my past Tributes to the extent that I spend most of the time trying to get rid of the fullness. In fact, although I don't explicitly say so, I preferred the tone of my maple-necked Tribute to my rosewood-necked USA.

Steve

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1327601946' post='1514116']
Errrr - I'm afraid I don't quite understand your comments. You seem to be suggesting that I'm almost boasting about the tone of the USA L2000, or perhaps I've misunderstood. In my post, I say that I find the USA L2000 richer and thumpier than my past Tributes to the extent that I spend most of the time trying to get rid of the fullness. In fact, although I don't explicitly say so, I preferred the tone of my maple-necked Tribute to my rosewood-necked USA.

Steve
[/quote]

My apologies. :blush: I may indeed have misinterpreted your post, nor did I mean to suggest that you were boasting. As it turns out, we are both making the same point, i.e. Tribs. can be as good tone wise as their U.S. counter parts. I too, have a maple necked L2000 Trib.

A couple of weeks ago this was mine. I have an old injury to my pinky and found that my hand was getting very tired whilst playing a gig due the size of the neck but sound wise these things are the biz. As Pikeman said one of these with a Jazz size neck = heaven!!

I`m glad that someone is enjoying the olde girl!!

Jez

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1327611936' post='1514301']
My apologies. :blush: I may indeed have misinterpreted your post, nor did I mean to suggest that you were boasting. As it turns out, we are both making the same point, i.e. Tribs. can be as good tone wise as their U.S. counter parts. I too, have a maple necked L2000 Trib.
[/quote]

No problem. :)

[quote name='fender73' timestamp='1327613423' post='1514340']
I've heard nothing but great things about these basses - seem to be very versatile - one question, they good for a mixture of slap and fingerstyle?

Thanks

Graeme
[/quote]

Decide for yourself. ;)
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT4AP58jC5o"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT4AP58jC5o[/url]

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1327586910' post='1513792']
Tone wise absolutely. Regarding the neck, as "blind pilot" says, the best thing is to try one out. The Tribute l2000 comes with only one neck size i.e. 1.75" at the nut and 12" radius. With the USA L 2000's you can have a choice of neck sizes, the most common of which is the jazz neck at 1.5" at the nut.

While the L 2000 Tribute necks are no doubt on the chunky side, I find it comfortable. A compromise you could make is to check out the G&L JB2 Tribute (see link below). While it does not have the same choice of tones as the L2000, it is still an excellent bass, great value for money and has the jazz size neck.

[url="http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/TributeSeries/basses/JB-2/index.asp"]http://www.glguitars.../JB-2/index.asp[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks for the advice. I actually just got PMT in Birmingham to order me a G&L L-2500 :mellow: