Why become a member? ×

Sterling by Musicman Sub basses.

dave_bass5

Well we got ours today. :) First impressions? Unbelievably good. It's very rare for me to say that, particularly at the lower end of the market, but I genuinely think that these are, for the sake of SBMM's more expensive models, too good! The guitars are great, but I'll focus on the Ray. First things first, this sounds and feels like a Stingray. Despite OLP's being great basses, I never felt they had the true Stingray sound, where the Sub has it in abundance. Likewise, we sell the Vintage EST96 which is another Stingray copy at a similar price and, while it sounds good, it's not really a Stingray sound. I've compared the Sub directly against the (twice as expensive) SBMM Ray34 and there is very, very little in it. That's comparing a 2-band (Sub) against 3-band eq (Ray34) but the basic tonality is virtually identical. The neck is a delight to play. And, unexpectedly for a Stingray, the bass is exceptionally light, no doubt due to the new tone woods they've used.

Feel free to fire any questions at me. Anyone interested in trying one out, feel free to come in to the shop, or you can order over the phone as well as online:

[url="http://www.effectpowersupplies.com/sterling-by-musicman-194-c.asp"]http://www.effectpowersupplies.com/sterling-by-musicman-194-c.asp[/url]

[quote name='fxpedal.co.uk' timestamp='1341418037' post='1718713']
Well we got ours today. :) First impressions? Unbelievably good. It's very rare for me to say that, particularly at the lower end of the market, but I genuinely think that these are, for the sake of SBMM's more expensive models, too good! The guitars are great, but I'll focus on the Ray. First things first, this sounds and feels like a Stingray. Despite OLP's being great basses, I never felt they had the true Stingray sound, where the Sub has it in abundance. Likewise, we sell the Vintage EST96 which is another Stingray copy at a similar price and, while it sounds good, it's not really a Stingray sound. I've compared the Sub directly against the (twice as expensive) SBMM Ray34 and there is very, very little in it. That's comparing a 2-band (Sub) against 3-band eq (Ray34) but the basic tonality is virtually identical. The neck is a delight to play. And, unexpectedly for a Stingray, the bass is exceptionally light, no doubt due to the new tone woods they've used.

Feel free to fire any questions at me. Anyone interested in trying one out, feel free to come in to the shop, or you can order over the phone as well as online:

[url="http://www.effectpowersupplies.com/sterling-by-musicman-194-c.asp"]http://www.effectpowersupplies.com/sterling-by-musicman-194-c.asp[/url]
[/quote]I really like the idea of a 2 band Ray 5, add to that light weight and I feel the GAS genie rising.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1341419183' post='1718729']
Played one the other day...... Can't believe some of the prices quoted here as I saw the trade price so would think £450 is a retail starter. Ok for that price and the construction looked solid.
[/quote]£329 seems to be the going rate on line.

There does seem (quite rightly, I suppose) to be a fair bit of interest in these basses. In view of that, I have set up a discount code on our website for Basschat members. Simply order any of the SBMM Sub basses online in the normal way here:

[url="http://www.effectpowersupplies.com/sterling-by-musicman-194-c.asp"]http://www.effectpow...icman-194-c.asp[/url]

[color=#ff0000][size=6][b]At checkout, input discount code 'BCSUB' and you will qualify for a 5% discount as well as free UK delivery[/b][/size][/color] (excluding Highlands and Islands where there is a small surcharge).

This will bring the price down to £284.05 for the 4-string and £312.55 for the 5-string. Note: there are a couple of people who have ordered already. Assuming they are on Basschat, if they can e-mail us quoting their order number, we will refund 5% back to their cards so that they have bought at the same price.

We will let this offer run for the duration of July. :)

Edited by fxpedal.co.uk

Cant say fairer than that :)

I could quite fancy a 2 band 5'er, Im saving up for a ClassicRay5 but this could be good too? Hmmm...

The walnut stain is really cool, I want a pre EB in that colour. Is the 5 string really only 38mm at the nut or is that a typo regarding the 4 string model? If I could get the 5 in the walnut with a 2 band EQ and the normal body/pickguard shape I would be all over this :lol:

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1341431741' post='1719031']
The walnut stain is really cool, Is the 5 string really only 38mm at the nut or is that a typo regarding the 4 string model? If I could get the 5 in the walnut with a 2 band EQ and the normal body/pickguard shape I would be all over this :lol:
[/quote]The Walnut Stain is only available on the 4-string in Europe. 38mm nut width refers to the 4-string. That's the biggest difference between the Ray 34 and the Ray 4 in terms of feel in that the Ray 4 has the equivalent of the SLO neck (more like a Jazz bass while the Ray 34 is nearer to a Precision neck).

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1341434649' post='1719114']
Any idea what the 5 string nut width is?

I can see the 38mm nut being a big selling point, a lot of folks ask about options for a Stingray with a narrower nut on here.
[/quote]

yes, but for me it has the opposite effect... which is a relief, as a 2-band walnut stain looked very very sexy indeed, but I don't *need* one... the narrow nut does it for me. I'm safe ;)

However, the 5-string...
I don't need a 5-string. But If I were going to get one, I'd definitely check it out, as I am a sucker for maple fingerboards.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1341434649' post='1719114']
Any idea what the 5 string nut width is?

I can see the 38mm nut being a big selling point, a lot of folks ask about options for a Stingray with a narrower nut on here.
[/quote]The nut width of the 5-string is 45mm according to our ruler!

Went back to see the basses and the walnut type top is going for £319 which seems to be the going rate. Narrow jazz type neck but more chunky thru the profile which wouldn't be to my tastes anyway. But I can't see how they can make these for the money. Will be interesting to see how these hold up as metalwork must be cheap etc...

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1341500349' post='1720111']
Went back to see the basses and the walnut type top is going for £319 which seems to be the going rate.
[/quote]Just [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]£284.05 delivered if you use our discount code: BCSUB. :)[/font][/color]

Edited by fxpedal.co.uk