Why become a member? ×

Front Fret Markers - Unnecessary?

cytania

There may be a lot of reasons for that. There are my hypotheses

The dots existed already on the guitars, so when the bass came out, it had the same fingerboard look.
Back in the days, when Leo Fender created the Precision Bass, it was designed to be used by guitarists. "Don't hurt the customer" ;)
It allowed them to be able to play a low frequencies instrument without changing their skills.

Secondly, the Precision Bass had to seduce (hard job) double bass players, so it had to be also played almost vertically. You watch the neck differently.
Dots on the front helped these "switchers" coming from a bigger instrument (in terms of playing). In 1951, Monk Montgomery was one of very first to handle a 51 PB with Lionel Hampton's Band.

At last i would say it helps the modern bass beginners. When i teach young players, actually they use these dots. When they get more self confident, they can use only side dots.

I agree with you that it is no more useful after few years of playing BUT... i couldn't imagine an old JB without dots. It is a part of the harmony...
Sometimes when i see a classic JB or PB neck without front dots, it lacks something.
Did you ever feel this way or am i completely mad ? :D

For the look without front dots, Warwick, Elrick, Mayones, Vigier basses kill. Designers meant it.

Edited by Emanew

The Jazz built on my Shuker course doesn't have them... it's a visual/legacy thing, you expect them so you miss them. But they're not needed. My old MTD didn't have them, and it gave me the idea for this build. Side dots only, and when you know the fretboard you don't need them either!

[attachment=99043:photo.JPG]

I only use the front ones when I'm up at the dusty end on the high strings and I can't see the side ones. One of the reasons I went over to maple necks actually was i could never see the side dots on my RW on a stage with moody lighting. I don't really need them low down but must admit they are reassuring if you're having a blank moment...
Although my fretless only has side dots and I get around that OK - I think I'd be lost without the side dots above the 12th fret!
If I ever got LEDs though it would just be side dots.
A luthier I know makes lovely basses out of beautiful timber and then goes and sticks a load of flashing lights on it so it looks like Blackpool Illuminations - i asked him why he would do this and he said that some people love them - to each his own I guess...

I prefer the look of a bass without front dots and don't find it a problem not having them most of the time but I have noticed it's easier to locate where you need to be when jumping from the 1st position to somewhere up the dusty end when a bass does have them, my eye must use the end of the fretboard partially as a mental marker which isn't good because I have 21, 22 and 24 fret basses and I sometime find I slightly hesitate.

My Bass Collections don't have them, and neither did the Dean B2. I don't think the TRB5P does either, though I'd have to take it out of the case and check to be certain - shows how much I rely on them.

I've only come unstuck once, and that was on a very very dark stage with the Dean, when I couldn't see the side dots either. Didnt play any more wrong notes than usual, but it was a half-a-crown thruppenny-bit moment.

[quote name='Emanew' timestamp='1328228152' post='1524277']
Sometimes when i see a classic JB or PB neck without front dots, it lacks something.
Did you ever feel this way or am i completely mad ? :D
[/quote]

Not completely! ;) If you saw a 64P for sale without dots, you would be suspicious, no?
I don't use dots, but I like to have them on a P bass for the look of the thing.