Why become a member? ×

EH's new recording.

EdwardHimself

[url="http://soundcloud.com/eddiehimself/control"]http://soundcloud.co...himself/control[/url]

Here is a song I have just recently finished. I would be most appreciative if you would give it a listen :) some of you may remember it from earlier, I posted it about a year ago without any vocals and I wasn't really feeling it until now when I decided to finish it. Guitars, bass, drums, vocals, recording by EH. No stock sounds or anything, everything you hear on this track was either recorded or synthesized by me, apart from the strings at the beginning which were made using a VST synth. Extensive editing was required to get it to sound like this, as my musicianship leaves a lot to be desired lol.

Edited by EdwardHimself

Not my favourite type of metal (melodic bit followed by shouty etc, a la Trivium) but you've done a pretty good job there EH. Wouldn't have surprised me if I had heard that on MTV. Good effort

PS I would edit out the first 40 seconds before the track starts as it's pretty tasteless and may put people off listening to your music

Edited by Clarky

Well actually........ this is rather good. Strong voice there Eddie, and I like the string parts as they provide a nice foil to the raucous parts. I'd have a tad more clarity and level in the drums but that's a minor quibble for me. I listened all the way though no problem, and would listen to some more.

Hope the content doesn't give us too much of a glimpse inside your soul. :shok: :lol:

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1327234208' post='1508020']
Not my favourite type of metal (melodic bit followed by shouty etc, a la Trivium) but you've done a pretty good job there EH. Wouldn't have surprised me if I had heard that on MTV. Good effort
[/quote]

It's what is generally known as "metalcore". Bands like Trivium, Killswitch Engage, 36 crazyfists etc. It's a fair cop I suppose. I never really intended for the song to be put into that sort of category when I first started writing it but yeah I guess that's just how it turned out. And I, for one would be very surprised to hear ANY music being played on MTV :P

[quote]
PS I would edit out the first 40 seconds before the track starts as it's pretty tasteless and may put people off listening to your music
[/quote]

Well, "tasteless" is an opinion, but I knew it was always going to divide opinions. It was more of a joke than anything really. I hasten to add that no people called "Sheila" were harmed in the making of this song :) . I decided to split the track up into 2 parts. If I put this on a CD I would probably have done that anyway, since people would probably get a bit bored of skipping the first 40 s of the song lol.

[quote name='jackers' timestamp='1327235121' post='1508029']
me likey alot :) you have a great voice, and the song is very catchy. The only bit I didn't really like was the intro 40 seconds, but that's a very small gripe :) I would love to hear anything else you have recorded in this type of genre.
[/quote]

I am glad you like it. I don't think all of my songs sound like this. The one I am writing at the moment is in this kind of genre but there are others that are a different type of thing altogether. I think I'm going to try and start doing more recordings. I pretty much didn't bother for the whole of last year and there are new ideas that I have been going over since then.

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' timestamp='1327245693' post='1508246']
Well actually........ this is rather good. Strong voice there Eddie, and I like the string parts as they provide a nice foil to the raucous parts. I'd have a tad more clarity and level in the drums but that's a minor quibble for me. I listened all the way though no problem, and would listen to some more.
[/quote]

It's interesting seeing to the difference of opinion. Some people on the guitar forum thought I wasn't aggressive enough, and I tend to agree with them. I think I need to practice my singing a bit more. The issue with the drums was that my "trusty" SM57 decided to stop working and because I didn't have much money I used completely the wrong type of microphone to record the snare drum with which left the top end sounding tinny. That's why I went for the deeper sort of sound.

[quote]Hope the content doesn't give us too much of a glimpse inside your soul. :shok: :lol:
[/quote]

Well I can't say the lyrics aren't entirely based on my emotions but I don't think I'll be killing anyone any time soon lol.

Edited by EdwardHimself

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1328721661' post='1531705']
Good one! You should put a band together or something
[/quote]

I liked it.

A band doing this would easily get gigs and support slots round this way.

Edit - I thought the strings were a nice intro.

Edited by rOB

[quote name='Duarte' timestamp='1327428655' post='1511116']
I like very much. The bass sounds sick...
[/quote]

Thanks. Yeah, I was pretty pleased with the way the bass turned out. It was a guitar rig bass synth. Took a bit of tweaking, but got there in the end :)

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1328721661' post='1531705']
Real good! I loved the drumming big time, not too flashy, but lots of little trills and fills to keep interesting! And keep the intro, I'm used to listening to Misericordiam...
[/quote]

I really wanted to make sure that I got the balance right with this song not just with the drums but with all the instruments. Keep it interesting, but not ott.

[quote]
Good one! You should put a band together or something

Truckstop
[/quote]

I'm hoping it may be on the cards sometime soon.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1328729456' post='1531859']
[indent=1][/indent]
[/quote]

Thanks for that deep insight into my music bilbo :P

[quote name='rOB' timestamp='1328734222' post='1531986']
I liked it.

A band doing this would easily get gigs and support slots round this way.
[/quote]

As I say, I would love to do a few gigs here and there and play some of my stuff. It would be pretty epic.

[quote]
Edit - I thought the strings were a nice intro.
[/quote]

That wasn't the controversial bit lol :P

[quote name='faiz0802' timestamp='1329477494' post='1542977']
I love this!! It's hard to believe that its a one man job. I don't know about the others, but a guitar solo in there somewhere would make it perfect for me. Top-notch stuff anywho :). What rig do you use?
[/quote]

There was a guitar solo! Albeit a quite short one, just after the key change after the second chorus. I just used guitar rig for this. Actually for the guitars I used both guitar rig and miced up my amp to give contrasting sounds, which really helped make the stereo sound a lot better.

Brilliant, man! Definitely put a band together.

Not criticisms as such, but I personally would have turned the vox up a tiny bit and the bass down ( but only a teeny bit!). Even so, it sounds amazing! Kudos.

P.S. I like the snare sound! Plus, you have the seal of approval from my drummist :P

Edited by Jayben

[quote name='EdwardHimself' timestamp='1329477649' post='1542986']
There was a guitar solo! Albeit a quite short one, just after the key change after the second chorus. I just used guitar rig for this. Actually for the guitars I used both guitar rig and miced up my amp to give contrasting sounds, which really helped make the stereo sound a lot better.
[/quote]

There was? Hmm... I must pay more attention the next time. If this was a band, I would def pay to watch.

• 4 weeks later...

Quality. You should be very chuffed with that. The style is a tad on the "nice" side for me but I was nodding right the way through. I love the change of the vocals going from talking to screaming at the start - very evocative.... oh and the intro is perfectly fine by me. :D

Vocals (which really could do with coming up a bit) kind of remind me of Celldweller at times. :)

Edited by Ou7shined

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1331921319' post='1581007']
Quality. You should be very chuffed with that. The style is a tad on the "nice" side for me but I was nodding right the way through. I love the change of the vocals going from talking to screaming at the start - very evocative.... oh and the intro is perfectly fine by me. :D

Vocals (which really could do with coming up a bit) kind of remind me of Celldweller at times. :)
[/quote]

I'm not sure I would have said "I'll kill you and put you 1.83 metres underground" is exactly "nice" but that is just my opinion obviously lol. I will sort out the vocals and everything at some point to make them more hearable.

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1331926482' post='1581129']
you make me realise how talentless I am :D
[/quote]

To be honest I think editing this recording to make it sound good is not all that different from fixing up an old rust bucket :P

Edited by EdwardHimself