Why become a member? ×

Anyone Played IN A Big Band Before ?

MusicLover20015

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]I'm not sure what you're asking, but I have played in several 9 -10 piece Soul/R n B bands. I wonder if our Belgian friends remember Jess and James?[/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial] [/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]The sound of a [/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][size=4]Hammond[/size][size=4] and a 4 piece brass section with your bass underpinning is the best feeling in the world. Sadly economics will probably ensure that I never play in a band like this ever again. [/size][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial] [/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]You just get a nice clean tone, play as normal, lock in with the drummer and remember that less really is more with so many notes flying around.[/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]

For the first couple of songs, don't take your eyes off the Dots for a second! Even after a few perfect rehearsals, each Big Band seem to have their own 'feel' when playing live, but if you're perfectly sure what [b][i]you're [/i][/b]playing, the rest seems to come naturally. If they aren't using Dots, then as said above, try to lock in with the Drummer, and form a cohesive Rhythm Section for the rest to bounce off. Strangely enough, I'm in the middle of re-acquanting myself with Sight-Reading for a couple of Deps with a Big Band in the next few weeks. Enjoy. ;)

I was never in a big band, but I`ve done monitors for a few!
It gets sonically busy as others above have said, so try to ensure you can hear everything you need for timing, especially the kick drum. If you can`t hear that,you`re fecked :)
As to the organisation, the MDs I worked with never looked less than harrassed at the best of times :D
Good luck!
MM

I did one gig depping for a big band - about 25 strong... the full glen miller, sinatra, micheal buble job.

It was really good fun but hard work - apart from having to play about 45 songs (about 3 hours worth) - you had you keep you eyes on the dots all the time.

My biggest problem was getting lost in the repeats and jumps to codas....especially the ones that arent written down... so I'd make sure you have those sorted at the start - then if you do fall off its easier to get back on.

Otherwise it was great experience - go for it...

It's a rare pleasure to play in a big band (by that I'm assuming 14plus) because these days it's just not economical to run one professionally. They are about, though, because guys who otherwise play in smaller bands get a great buzz out of it. And it really hones your reading skills, which you should have even at an elementary level. I played in one some time ago run by a session musician who got some of Buddy Rich's original charts. One had a time sig Orgasmo Furioso -when asked what it meant the guy said 'go like f**k!

To answer your question, I've seen big bands playing whose bass player - upright or BG, doesn't matter -while playing all the right notes just doesn't put any drive into the band. Your job as the bassist is to push the band forward; you are the engine room. If you're in any doubt about this listen to BB recordings, particularly 'The Atomic Mr Basie'.

And enjoy!

You need to come back and re define your question. Again assuming you mean Big band = Miller, Basie, Heath etc.
First thing you need is an MD. This is where you realise you cannot run a band as a democracy. So you need a good guy out front who knows his onions and all sections can respect.
Next, you had better hope the musos you have got together can Listen. Listening is the most important skill, then feel. If you are really lucky the MD will teach the brass players how to listen to a Rhythm section and what you are there for.
This probably will not happen and each section Sax, Trumpet and Bones will gang together and blame the rhythm section for both speeding up and slowing things down. Because they think they know best and individually have all grown up competing with each other to be the loudest, fastest and highest player. So when the MD has spent a few years trying to get them to play as a section, you may stand a chance they start listening to you.
Think that’s enough to be going on with. Is great fun if you don't weaken

Big band, named for big instruments more than anything else, playing is all abouting locking tight as a rhythm section player, the band is laying on, and listening to you, not to the point where one slip and everything is chaos not by any means but locking tight is the key thing!

Learn your parts till they are sqeaky clean then you can get more adventurous!

I play Bass Trombone in two Big bands, and dep on bass for one on occasion :)

I have done quite a few Big bands [ i am assuming you mean Jazz big band]
Be prepared, to read dots a lot [to start with]
Chords for the walking lines [so be prepared to ad lib lines], and there can be a lot of chord changes and substitutions,
Fast swing written in cut common, latin and funk charts.
You need to be all ears and eyes.
You will need to be aware of key changes, coda's and round and round sections for soloists.
Concentration, focus & discipline are the name of the game.

Enjoy, it can be a great thrill.

Garry

[quote name='MusicLover20015' timestamp='1326566539' post='1499012']
any of you guyys know a website where it can train you to read fluently ? like mini games or something like that @?
[/quote]

Here's a start. ;)
[url="http://readsheetmusic.info/readingmusic.shtml"]http://readsheetmusic.info/readingmusic.shtml[/url]