Why become a member? ×

Today I shall be watching...Guy Pratt!

acidbass

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1326722314' post='1500957']I think the bottom line is Pratt was in the right place at the right time, lots of times, and had a face that fitted in.[/quote]
He clearly had a brass neck, and the mercenary instincts when it came to exploiting his contacts and making the right call at the right time. Oddly, he didn't want to join Icehouse, to do a "pub" tour, demonstrating his ignorance of the "pub" venues in Australia, which hold crowds in excess of 1,000. Those "pub" tours saw him playing top billing with band such as Simple Minds, Talking Heads and Psychedelic Furs in support slots, and directly contributed to Icehouse acquiring support slots on European tours with the likes of Simple Minds and David Bowie, and a US tour with Talking Heads.

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1326723887' post='1500997']
He clearly had a brass neck, and the mercenary instincts when it came to exploiting his contacts and making the right call at the right time. Oddly, he didn't want to join Icehouse, to do a "pub" tour, demonstrating his ignorance of the "pub" venues in Australia, which hold crowds in excess of 1,000. Those "pub" tours saw him playing top billing with band such as Simple Minds, Talking Heads and Psychedelic Furs in support slots, and directly contributed to Icehouse acquiring support slots on European tours with the likes of Simple Minds and David Bowie, and a US tour with Talking Heads.
[/quote]

As well as some kind of facial similarity to Gordon Ramsay(?!) I am getting the impression that he has similar arrogance traits.

But hey, how many famous musicians have been right ***** ( Blackmore for instance) but have produced great music..

Great Guy Pratt recordings anyone?

Think it's a bit weird that people have such strong opinions on the guy. Seems like a bit of jealousy to be frank.

Good bassist and anyone who says otherwise is simply lying. Comes across well anytime I've seen him interviewed. Haven't seen his routine but I imagine it's like most comedy routines; you like it or you don't.

Strange tone to this thread.

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1326723887' post='1500997']
[/quote]

Yeah, i read all that in the book.

Talking of the book, if anyone wants my copy of it to read and then maybe pass on get in touch. I know there is already a book or two doing the rounds but i know ill never read my hard copy of it, not now i have the iBooks version.
No charge of course.

@3rdUncle. Yep, very jealous of what he has done in his life but i would never knock his talent.

Edited by dave_bass5

Has anyone seen the footage of Guy with Womack and Womack on The Tube, about 88/89?
He's playing a Steinberger and absolutely killing it on Soul Love and It's all over now.
Great Player...

[quote name='3rdUncle' timestamp='1326725495' post='1501045']Think it's a bit weird that people have such strong opinions on the guy. Seems like a bit of jealousy to be frank.

Good bassist and anyone who says otherwise is simply lying.[/quote]
Anyone who says otherwise holds a different opinion from you, but I simply can't see how you can make that an issue of truths or lies.

Personally, I have little, verging on no, interest in what Pratt does or says. What I object to is his revisionist take on events. If he wants to tell his stories with a self-depricating stance, then fine and well. But, when he does so in a disingenuous way, deriding the abilities of others, and including himself in events he was not party to), then I have an issue with him, and what he says.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1326726523' post='1501060']
Talknig of the book, if anyone wants my copy of it to read and thne maybe pass on get in touch. I know there is already a book or two doing the rounds but i know ill never read my hard copy of it, not now i have the iBooks version.
No charge of course.

@3rdUncle. Yep, very jealous of what he has done in his life but i would never knock his talent.
[/quote]

yes please. intrigued! will pm you thanks

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1326727519' post='1501076']
deriding the abilities of others
[/quote]

Yes, he was a bit naughty regarding the abilities of John Taylor of Duran Duran, I seem to recall.... :ph34r:

Still, I loved the show and love his playing

[quote name='leftyhook' timestamp='1326722573' post='1500961']
Can someone please point me to a couple of track that show Guy Pratt at his best? I
[/quote]

Guy can groove a bit, great tone as well, Ain't no doubt about it.
Here you go.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iF47M3YDlg[/media]

Garry

Edited by lowdown

" She's lying"
haha!

And I thought it was Nail's old mates from Newcastle that played that! As featured (mimed) on TOTP's.

In that case, Guy Pratt more than cuts the mustard for me. Great stuff.

Busy watching Pink Floyd 'Delicate sound of thunder" on youtube. Hard work! but Pratt's tone and execution are very impressive.

thanks

Edited by leftyhook

[quote name='leftyhook' timestamp='1326729270' post='1501117']
" She's lying"
haha!

And I thought it was Nail's old mates from Newcastle that played that! As featured (mimed) on TOTP's.

In that case, Guy Pratt more than cuts the mustard for me. Great stuff.

Busy watching Pink Floyd 'Delicate sound of thunder" on youtube. Hard work! but Pratt's tone and execution are very impressive.

thanks
[/quote]

Plenty here mate - take your pick. [Scroll down]
[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Pratt"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Pratt[/url]

Garry

[quote name='leftyhook' timestamp='1326729270' post='1501117']

thanks
[/quote]

Been listening to that and PULSE quite a bit recently, great albums (and im not really a PF fan)

Edited by dave_bass5

Great player, check this out from about 4:40 onwards [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSVbwwsLPqw[/media]
(although the playing is spot on throughout too). BTW Guy is a BCer too.

Edited by ezbass

I've read the book and listened to the music...
He seems to be in the right place at the right time and obviously is the sort of chap you like to hang out with, there's nothing wrong with that...
I quite like this bass-line..

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ECpQFx2ALg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ECpQFx2ALg[/url]

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1326732871' post='1501217']
I've always loved the bass line on that track, never realsied it was Guy
[/quote]

Well, the original version(from A MOMENTARY LAPSE OF REASON) was played by Tony Levin.
Fantastic bassline, one of my faves.

[quote name='wombatboter' timestamp='1326733488' post='1501233']
I've read the book and listened to the music...
He seems to be in the right place at the right time and obviously is the sort of chap you like to hang out with, there's nothing wrong with that...
I quite like this bass-line..
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ECpQFx2ALg[/media]
[/quote]

Seems to me like he always brings something to the party.
Be it humour or Musicianship.

Garry