Why become a member? ×

New Gig, New Rig hit me with smallish goodish amps

Dave Vader

So, yesterday I scored an excellent gig with a local young singer songwriter who has a record contract, radio pluggers, gig getters and all that kind of entourage. I am quite pleased, her new single is out today, and she was shortlisted for the Rebel Playlist on 6music last week. Should be a lot more fun than playing crappy covers in pubs (though I haven't yet told the band I'm going, will send the much redrafted email later today).

Long and the short of it is that we're mostly going to be doing either small acousticy gigs, or festivals. So either quite quiet, or perfectly decent monitoring rendering the amp useless. Thus my 2x15 stack with 300w Gallien Krueger is overkill, and I don't want to lug it around if I don't have to. I am fondly remembering my old Ashdown EB 1 x 12 combo, that I could carry with my bass on my back, and only do one trip to the car.

I saw the new Ashdown Touring 220 112, (this one [url="http://www.ashdownmusic.com/bass/detail.asp?ID=249"]http://www.ashdownmusic.com/bass/detail.asp?ID=249[/url] anyone tried one yet?) and thought, oooh that looks nice. And I remembered some lovely old Trace combos I played through in my youth. However, I keep coming across 1 x 12s in practice rooms and similar, and I'm always surprised just how nice my bass sounds through them. What have you got to recommend? And if you own it and are selling it, please don't be shy in coming forward, I am a bit GAS filled again...

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1326109727' post='1492304']
Why not get a line6 pod or similar for live and go ampless?
[/quote]

I can't quite bring myself to do that yet. I've been to some awful dives that had utterly useless PA support, and I need to hear myself, if nothing else for the fretless intonation that is bad enough when I can hear it. (And I don't like line6). Did toy with it for a while, but too risky.

If you like your GKs sound, check out the MB500. A cracking little amp, half the size of a lap-top. Cab-wise, for lightweight and powerful, whilst not cheap, Barefaced get my vote.

Whilst all this is probably way more powerful than you will need for the current gigs, this will have enough behind it to play much larger venues.

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1326113056' post='1492374']
What's your price range?
[/quote]

I shall know by the end of the month when my Xmas bonus comes through for the year. Up to about £600 top end, looking more around the £300 mark, as it doesn't have to sound amazing, just give me some monitoring really.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1326113000' post='1492373']
If you like your GKs sound, check out the MB500. A cracking little amp, half the size of a lap-top. Cab-wise, for lightweight and powerful, whilst not cheap, Barefaced get my vote.

Whilst all this is probably way more powerful than you will need for the current gigs, this will have enough behind it to play much larger venues.
[/quote]

I was trying to get away from the seperate amp cab thing, as it requires a box of leads, and thus another hand... (I know, it's unbelievable isn't it?)

I would also say the MarlBass CMD121H combo as this is what i use but it might be out of your price range. It would be perfect though. Something consider is the new EBS Classic 120 combo. It will be very loud and portable. I have the Classic 60 combo and it is amazing.

The Promethean combo sounds like a good option. Don't be fooled by the 10" driver, it kicks out some serious bass. Only flaw is the B string handling on a 5er. The Marcacoustic AC101 (wich has a 12" model: AC121) would behave better than the Promethean but at twice the price...

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1326114036' post='1492401']

I was trying to get away from the seperate amp cab thing, as it requires a box of leads, and thus another hand... (I know, it's unbelievable isn't it?)
[/quote]

In that case, having been very impressed every time I`ve heard someone using a Markbass combo at gigs, I`d suggest one of those.

I can see where you`re coming from, my box of leads is bigger than my amp - in fact, I put the amp in with the leads!

I've looked at Prometheans, they are tempting, especially as I could still use the head through my 2 x 15s if I needed a big rig again. My cabs are pretty much unsellable, I would keep them, and probably use one for an cab extension if I needed the extra whumph back.
I like the look of that EBS very much Linus, now if only they stocked them in Mansons I could check them out.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1326119084' post='1492508']
In that case, having been very impressed every time I`ve heard someone using a Markbass combo at gigs, I`d suggest one of those.

I can see where you`re coming from, my box of leads is bigger than my amp - in fact, I put the amp in with the leads!
[/quote]

Excellent, I have two identical boxes at the moment (silver camera boxes) one has my GK head in, the other is filled with leads.

I've never really got into the markbass sound, it's a bit clean and sparkly for me, I like dirt, think Jack Bruce.

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1326114036' post='1492401']
[/quote]

I've got one of those laptop-friendly rucksacks - RH450 slotted into the laptop bit, all the leads, screwdrivers, spare strings, etc in the other bit. That on the back, bass in one hand, 800w 2x15 cab in the other. I wouldn't run a marathon like that, but it's about 50lb plus the bass total, so I'm good from the car to the venue in one go.

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1326127478' post='1492644']
I've got one of those laptop-friendly rucksacks - RH450 slotted into the laptop bit, all the leads, screwdrivers, spare strings, etc in the other bit. That on the back, bass in one hand, 800w 2x15 cab in the other. I wouldn't run a marathon like that, but it's about 50lb plus the bass total, so I'm good from the car to the venue in one go.
[/quote]

My gammy wrists are screaming at the thought of a 2x15 in one hand....

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/161106-hartke-a100-combo-brand-new-l180/page__p__1491969__hl__hartke__fromsearch__1#entry1491969"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/161106-hartke-a100-combo-brand-new-l180/page__p__1491969__hl__hartke__fromsearch__1#entry1491969[/url]

Save yourself a few quid ;)

I assume your cabs separate. Could you just use one cab with the GK head? Or is this a GAS thing :D

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1326130655' post='1492698']
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/161106-hartke-a100-combo-brand-new-l180/page__p__1491969__hl__hartke__fromsearch__1#entry1491969"]http://basschat.co.u..._1#entry1491969[/url]

Save yourself a few quid ;)

I assume your cabs separate. Could you just use one cab with the GK head? Or is this a GAS thing :D
[/quote]

they do, I have used them like that before, it is a bit of a GAS thing, I'll admit. But more of a walking off the stage with all my gear in one go when doing multi-band shows thing. I miss it, used to be fun with my old ashdown, all the leads in the gig bag, bass on my back, and amp in hand (pint in the other). Rather than the endless pulling out of leads, putting the head in it's case and going back and forth for 10 minutes.
And I really do like the look of those new Ashdowns (you have rumbled me)

Did you go for the Hartke in the end Marv?

Then you must submit to the GAS :)

I didn't go for the Hartke in the end. I've got a Fender Rumble 350 (210). It's good for gigging, just plug it in and away you go, minimal fuss. Not sure the Rumble sound is one you'd be looking for and to be honest with my new band I may be looking to go bigger :o

Unfortunately I haven't seen one of those Ashdowns in the local stores. That place in Barnstaple is almost devoid of anything bass related. Don't think Mansons have got any, they didn't when I popped in a few weeks ago. Have you tried Project Music in Exeter? I found them to be very friendly and helpful when I dropped in there, unfortunately they didn't have anything I wanted to buy at the time :)

Cracking gig you've landed.

Separates can be done easy. Mine (3x1u in a shallow rack) takes 10 seconds to plug in / plug out and it's velcroed to the cab which has wheels!

It's a bit of a Dalek though... me no likey stairs. Though have done bus, on my own, with amp and bass, possible though never again. Fine with bass carrying partner.

Oh, velcro, I never thought of that... nice plan.
Don't really like Rumbles Marv, amusingly they don't rumble enough for me. :)
The chap in Project is a good guy, he has a studio out somerset way we recorded in a couple of years ago, helpful guy. They have the big version of the Touring, so I might pop in and have a squizz.

It really is a cracking gig, having trouble getting used to hearing the song I just learned for the audition on the radio every day. Tis a little surreal....