Why become a member? ×

Buying second hand from US.

SisterAbdullahX

I've not but I'm looking for a vintage Fender Jazz, what sites have you been looking at?

As far as shipping goes, my company imports a few bits from the states and UPS seem to be very popular for medium weight items which a bass should be. Usually arrives in about 3 days.

PS Happy new year

Edited by GregHughes

In 2008, when the $ to the £ exchange rate was very low, I imported my Geddy Lee from the US secondhand. The price of the bass plus postage was approx £415 and the tax when it was delivered was £95. I didn't realise the tax would be so much and that I could have bought it for the same price or cheaper in the UK. But you live and learn I suppose.

I imported a neck from the states recently but only because I couldn't get what I wanted over here.

[quote name='SisterAbdullahX' timestamp='1325445516' post='1483247']
Hi y'all, and Happy New Year!!

Anybody have any experience of buying a used bass from the US? Have my eye on something and was wondering if I would have to pay import tax/vat on it and also what it would cost to have it sent over and finally who is the most reliable carrier?

Cheers!
[/quote]

go 4 it

i have bought a couple of used basses from usa

never had a problem

recently i have used USPS, they can ship for around $110

once in this country they have a tie up with parcelforce and your bass will be deilivered by them

before delivery parcelforce will invoice you for the duty/vat - about 22-25% - plus admin fee of some £10

once you have paid the invoice they will deliver your bass

hope this helps :)

[quote name='SisterAbdullahX' timestamp='1325445516' post='1483247']
Hi y'all, and Happy New Year!!

Anybody have any experience of buying a used bass from the US? Have my eye on something and was wondering if I would have to pay import tax/vat on it and also what it would cost to have it sent over and finally who is the most reliable carrier?

Cheers!
[/quote]
Add the price you pay for the item and the price of shipping. You'll pay approximately 25% of that total as tax.

For example:
£500 (bass) + £100 (shipping) = £600 total value.
25% x £600 = £150 tax
So, total cost to you = £750

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1325447687' post='1483283']
Add the price you pay for the item and the price of shipping. You'll pay approximately 25% of that total as tax.

For example:
£500 (bass) + £100 (shipping) = £600 total value.
25% x £600 = £150 tax
So, total cost to you = £750
[/quote]

vat/duty are not charged on the shipping cost

so in youre examples its 25% on £500 not £600

[quote name='gareth' timestamp='1325448180' post='1483289']
vat/duty are not charged on the shipping cost

so in youre examples its 25% on £500 not £600
[/quote]
Yes they are: [url="http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-import-duty-and-tax-calculation/"]http://www.dutycalcu...ax-calculation/[/url]

In fact, any insurance costs over and above shipping costs are also subject to the duty and tax.

Edited by EssentialTension

I got my Zon 6 from a guy on Talkbass, that was when the exchange rates were far more favourable.

They charge VAT/import duty on everything, that includes all postage, including insurance.

Check the insurance small print though, Instruments may not be covered !

I also imported two Acme cabs from there. Fedex worked out best, somedays are cheaper too.

Edited by Soliloquy

[quote name='SisterAbdullahX' timestamp='1325452968' post='1483351']
Cheers all! One last thing, is a receipt from the seller accepted as proof of purchase price by HMRC?
[/quote]
HMRC are not stupid and if it's a receipt that says $200 for a pre-CBS Fender then they will know someone is trying to pull a fast one. However, commonly the stated price would, I believe be accepted. The seller usually fills in a value for customs when arranging the shipping and that's the figure used.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1325448861' post='1483297']
Yes they are: [url="http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-import-duty-and-tax-calculation/"]http://www.dutycalcu...ax-calculation/[/url]

In fact, any insurance costs over and above shipping costs are also subject to the duty and tax.
[/quote]
[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1325448591' post='1483293']
They are...
[/quote]

[url="http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageTravel_ShowContent&id=HMCE_CL_000014&propertyType=document#P25_2199"]http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageTravel_ShowContent&id=HMCE_CL_000014&propertyType=document#P25_2199[/url]

[quote name='gareth' timestamp='1325455363' post='1483382']
[url="http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageTravel_ShowContent&id=HMCE_CL_000014&propertyType=document#P25_2199"]http://customs.hmrc....cument#P25_2199[/url]
[/quote]

What's this link pointing at...?

It points at this:

[b][b]3.1 How are import charges calculated?[/b][/b]

Charges are calculated by UK Border Agency (UKBA) staff at the postal depots where the packages are received. However, in some cases special arrangements are in place for goods purchased on the internet (see paragraph 3.4 below).
[b]Value Added Tax (VAT)[/b] - Import VAT is charged at the same rate that applies to similar goods sold in the UK and applies to commercial goods over £15 in value, and on gifts that are over £40 in value. The value of the goods for import VAT is based on the:[list]
[*]basic value of goods, plus
[*]postage, packing and insurance, plus
[*]any import (Customs or Excise) duties charged
[/list]

Something to maybe consider, if you can get a cheap flight.

I bought an Accugroove cab from the Groove shoppe in New York a couple of years ago. I arranged to collect it from them while I was over there for a few days.
I flew from Birmingham via Charles De Gaulle in Paris because it worked out a lot, lot cheaper. My return flight was the same route, meaning I arrived back in the UK with my new Accugroove cab from France. I just collected it from the luggage reclaim and walked out with it :D.
I paid for the cab before I went so I didn't pay any purchase tax in the USA either, I was rather pleased to say the least :D.

Broadly speaking, it would need to be something you really wanted that wasn't available over here or from European sources like Thomann.

If you're after a specific instrument, (for example somebody's pristine '55 Telebass), best is to pay what it costs and then worry about it afterwards. Otherwise, it's not as easy to save money as it used to be. Almost makes me wish George Junior was still on the throne. ;)

One piece I'd like to input: make sure you check the commodity codes that HMRC employ, cos in my experience they don't always use the correct ones. And the mandatory £13 (or whatever) handling fee that Parcelworse claim for holding your kit whilst HMRC go over it is a bloody insult.