Why become a member? ×

What have you got that you just CAN'T let go?

FJ1200

I was going through some of my old leads tonight and re-soldering one or two, and I have a very old 1980's curly glow-in-the-dark lead (that doesn't any more). Re-soldered the plug, tested it - I think the sheilding's gone somewhere - sounds ok but has a dreadful hum.

But - I just can't bring myself to bin it (hope the wife doesn't read this or it'll be gone!) cos it's like an old friend that's been with me over 20 years. My wife has a strict 1 in, 1 out policy that started with my jeans! Same reason. Wimin just DON'T understand these things are important...

So - what have you got that you've had since the "good old days" that you just can't throw out but is totally useless?

Edited by FJ1200

I've got this comfort `blanket' called Waldo thats been with me since '72....! Mmm! Not really!

Actually, I still have my very first bass, strap and amp, an Aria CSB-450, a Marshall Bass 60 and a brown Fender strap, all from 1982! Would never get rid of them (although the Aria was p/exd against my Fender in '84 - bought the Aria back from a secondhand shop in 1989 for the same money it was bought for originally, which was £130!

One of those dodgy pocket screwdrivers, with a picture of a bikini-clad babe on the handle. You turn it upright and the bikini slides .......yes, I expect you've had one too (or a pen). Looks about '60's vintage, but it's been in a succession of my bass cases since the early '80's, mostly for use on battery compartment covers.
Also I strap I bought in Hesseys, Liverpool, when I was 18 - on it's last legs now, but an old friend

[quote name='FJ1200' post='167160' date='Mar 31 2008, 07:07 PM']I was going through some of my old leads tonight and re-soldering one or two, and I have a very old 1980's curly glow-in-the-dark lead (that doesn't any more). Re-soldered the plug, tested it - I think the sheilding's gone somewhere - sounds ok but has a dreadful hum.[/quote]

my first guitar lead was my brother (guitarist) 's old curly glow-lead.
same story as yours- I put new jack plugs on it but it buzzed really badly.
I binned it and got a cheap leem lead and the noise was gone.

I've still got a Tascam cassette 4track- i like how immediate it is- no-boot-up waiting, but the sound is dull compared with digital, and the mixer is a bit noisy.

Edited by SJA

I have an Aria pro II guitar from decades back that I bought for £35. Over the years I have stripped the finish off, swapped the pups, hacked a humbucker into the bridge position, and refretted it. I could never part with it. Apologies to anyone offended by the G*itar word!

An obscene amount of high-tech electronic music gear - synths, samplers, programmable digital mixer, outboard FX all in racks and a custom multicore to connect them all together - that was the backbone of my last band's live set up. Most of it has been in storage hasn't even been powered up since the band split 5 years ago. I can't bring myself to stick it on eBay because I know that the moment I do and it sells I'll discover some use for it with my current band.

[quote name='FJ1200' post='167160' date='Mar 31 2008, 07:07 PM']My wife has a strict 1 in, 1 out policy that started with my jeans! Same reason. Wimin just DON'T understand these things are important...[/quote]

Ha ha try implementing that policy with her shoes .. That will focus her ,mind a little....

I too have many leads that are old friends that I don't use but like finding again now and then when I rummage through my
old cables box (a 1960's Dansette record player case - also never to be thrown away).

I don't seem to be able to throw anything away without it being a bit painful. Comes from a very frugal upbringing where Dad's "could be useful" collection in the shed very often was when repairing stuff ....

[quote name='OldGit' post='167301' date='Mar 31 2008, 10:59 PM']Ha ha try implementing that policy with her shoes .. That will focus her ,mind a little....[/quote]

She's not into shoes really...

[quote]I too have many leads that are old friends that I don't use but like finding again now and then when I rummage through my
old cables box (a 1960's Dansette record player case - also never to be thrown away).

I don't seem to be able to throw anything away without it being a bit painful. Comes from a very frugal upbringing where Dad's "could be useful" collection in the shed very often was when repairing stuff ....[/quote]

I have 2 'could be usefull' sheds and half the garage. Got her Scenic in it at the moment but it'll be back outside soon....

I've got a big cardboard box labeled 'Just add Bike' in marker pen;

I packed it up about 5 years ago when I sold my last motorcycle.

In it are:- helmet, gloves, boots, leather trousers, leather jacket.

One day I'll do what it says on the box, and I can't sell the stuff :)

Not exactly "couldn't bear to part with" - a g*itarist I used to play with about 25 years ago gave me the remains of a DOD 280 compressor. PCB and jack sockets were there, can't remember if the footswitch was and I took it out to use or if the footswitch wasn't. No back on the case. After having it knocking around the garage for 25 years, I tried it out the other day by soldering the output direct to the output jack socket. Hmmm. Anyone want the remains of a DOD 280 compressor, compresses but is somewhat noisy?

There's a couple of leads of mine that I've had for a long time that have finally succumbed. I like the jack plugs though, so I shall switch them onto newer cable.

Oh, and there's all the dismantled bikes that I really should do something about.

[quote name='FJ1200' post='167160' date='Mar 31 2008, 07:07 PM']I was going through some of my old leads tonight and re-soldering one or two, and I have a very old 1980's curly glow-in-the-dark lead (that doesn't any more). Re-soldered the plug, tested it - I think the sheilding's gone somewhere - sounds ok but has a dreadful hum.

But - I just can't bring myself to bin it (hope the wife doesn't read this or it'll be gone!) cos it's like an old friend that's been with me over 20 years. My wife has a strict 1 in, 1 out policy that started with my jeans! Same reason. Wimin just DON'T understand these things are important...

So - what have you got that you've had since the "good old days" that you just can't throw out but is totally useless?[/quote]

MB1. :huh:
"My wife has a strict 1 in 1 out policy........ that started with my jeans"? :)
This could be extremely embarassing doing the shopping in Asda!......1 in and 1 out of your jeans????? ;)

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='167193' date='Mar 31 2008, 07:52 PM']I've got this comfort `blanket' called Waldo thats been with me since '72....! Mmm! Not really!

Actually, I still have my very first bass, strap and amp, an Aria CSB-450, a Marshall Bass 60 and a brown Fender strap, all from 1982! Would never get rid of them (although the Aria was p/exd against my Fender in '84 - bought the Aria back from a secondhand shop in 1989 for the same money it was bought for originally, which was £130![/quote]

MB1. :)
I Also ended up buying my old Aria SB special 2 back off Ebay at a much reduced price 24 + years later.

[quote name='MB1' post='167624' date='Apr 1 2008, 12:50 PM']MB1. ;)
"My wife has a strict 1 in 1 out policy........ that started with my jeans"? :)
This could be extremely embarassing doing the shopping in Asda!......1 in and 1 out of your jeans????? :huh:[/quote]
:huh: Well - I couldn't [i]possibly [/i]comment! ;)

(Wifey shops on t'internet anyway)

Edited by FJ1200

[quote name='David Nimrod' post='167420' date='Apr 1 2008, 07:52 AM']I've got a big cardboard box labeled 'Just add Bike' in marker pen;

I packed it up about 5 years ago when I sold my last motorcycle.

In it are:- helmet, gloves, boots, leather trousers, leather jacket.

One day I'll do what it says on the box, and I can't sell the stuff :huh:[/quote]

I bet the trousers and jacket shrink in that bag :) Mine did ...

[quote name='chris_b' post='167382' date='Apr 1 2008, 12:44 AM']Everything comes in useful if you keep it long enough. Throw something out and you'll need it the very next week.[/quote]

Yeah we should all have a staging area. We could try to fool fate into thinking we've throw it away so that the time when we finally need it comes around fatser. Then we just have to pop down to the staging area to get it back ...
:)

[quote name='Alun' post='167163' date='Mar 31 2008, 07:10 PM']My Fostex four track - hasn't left the box since I discovered studio software and my laptop but can't bring myself to part with it.
Cheers
Alun[/quote]
I'm the same with my old Tascam Portastudio 424 - I haven't used it for years but it's still in the attic...somewhere.