Why become a member? ×

Gibson Explorer bass

Mikeg

I think this is new
[url="http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Bass/Gibson-USA/Explorer-Bass.aspx"]http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Bass/Gibson-USA/Explorer-Bass.aspx[/url]
I think it looks rather odd, too much like a tacky conversion of a guitar, and with retail price of $2249 It will be out of most people's reach. Im curios as to how it sounds

It says it's a full 34" scale length, looking where the bridge is the body must be massive! The case for my explorer (link in my sig) is big, and that's with a down-sized explorer body with the bridge right at the back. Don't get me wrong, I do like the Gibson version, but I'd bet gigging with it would be difficult on transport space!

Saw one in PMT t'other day, and tho I had pointy basses back in the day (and love a T-bird), these do not look like £2k+ of bass. Initially thought it was a new Epi, and I was so underwhelmed I couldn't be arsed to get it down and try it.

Sorry Gibson, I still don't like any of your bass output this century so far.

The 80s Explorer had the wedge bridge, like a Schaller 3D but with an opposing wedge mechanism for string height instead of grub screws. Now we get the three point bridge? Gibson, I would ask why you don't come over to my house and urinate in my cornflakes, kick my cat and leave a turd on my doormat as you leave, but then I realise that there would be no need as none of that trumps the three point bridge.

I know you're not going to read this, Gibson but please, please stop using it, especially when you're reissuing basses which never had it in the first place!

Aaaaaand, breathe ;)

I can only surmise they made about a zillion too many at some point, and now they've got an entire warehouse stocked full of the things they need to shift. No other explanation makes sense. I had one on my Epi T-bird when I bought it, and it was poor for a £200 bass, let alone one 10x that price.

[quote name='TG Flatline' timestamp='1325272287' post='1481658']
It says it's a full 34" scale length, looking where the bridge is the body must be massive! The case for my explorer (link in my sig) is big, and that's with a down-sized explorer body with the bridge right at the back. Don't get me wrong, I do like the Gibson version, but I'd bet gigging with it would be difficult on transport space!
[/quote]

Going to be gigging my '85 tonight for New Years, but yes; the case is as large as the deck of an aircraft carrier, and takes up half of my small hatchback.
She doesn't come out too often these days but I love her - monster tone, very ergonomic to play with an Entwhistle-eque right hand style, and with the complulsory extra long strap so it's hanging at knee-level - instant Rock God. No neck dive whatsoever, by the way.

Neepheid; agreed, the '80's models had the best bridge of any Gibson bass (which aint saying much.....) and I'm fairly sure was made by Schaller (the tuners are also Gibson logo-ed Schallers) - very similar indeed to the 3-D, but chunkier.