Why become a member? ×

BurgundyGlo Rickenbacker 4003

Stag

Finally, my quest for BurgundyGlo ends, due to the help of a certain BC'er - Godber, I owe you a pint mate! Another fine example of BC members helping each other out.

To cut a long story short, I had to part with my (new) 2011 JG Ricky after it developed a paint fault. The shop were fab about it but the distributors were not... it could have been a long wait for a new bass, and they werent going to commit to when it would arrive... soI had to give up and get my cash back, which was something I really really REALLY didnt want to do (see my review of said bass in the reviews section). However as they say, when one door closes... etc... ;)

Most people on here who know me know of my deep rooted obsession with BurgundyGlo since I first picked up a bass. The cream (previously white, its old) Ric I own was bought cos I simply couldnt find a BG one at the time. And then, this turned up at a dealership in Germany, oddly. Its a 2002 Ric in the rather rare BurgundyGlo finish, which was colour of the year then... dont think Ric do COTY anymore which has made this quest all the more difficult. All the case candy is there (unopened Ric cloth and un-sent off warranty card, lol). It has a couple of very small nicks here and there, no more than about three... but its a ten year old bass so its hardly surprising. Have a look and see what you think - for me its the perfect bass in sound, looks and weight. Cant wait to get it out and gig it!

Cheers - Stag

[attachment=96004:DSC02378.JPG]

[attachment=96006:DSC02392.JPG]

[attachment=96007:DSC02395.JPG]

[attachment=96008:DSC02398.JPG]

[attachment=96009:DSC02399.JPG]

[attachment=96010:DSC02500.jpg]

Hey buddy! The finish really is to die for, the seller's pics truly didnt do it justice. Its a deeeep Burgundy but you can see the grain of the wood through it, proper lovely. I feel rather lucky getting hold of it, to be honest!

Neck wise, it could just be me but this feels a little fatter than the newer ones...? If it is, it really isnt by a lot. The major difference between this one and my last 4003 is that these were before the VT push/pull switches became standard... not that I used that an awful lot anyway, would be a "nice to have" though.

Cheers Greg, much obliged! I didnt think you were still interested in the Les Paul tbh mate...? I may move it on, dunno yet... Ive had some interest in it from a friend who lives very close to me. I haven forgotten you now though!

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1325978439' post='1490749']
Looks great in that colour - very Cliff Burton :)
[/quote]

cheers Clarky, that's exactly what i like to hear! :-)

Fonky... Not sure what you mean buddy? This aint for sale if that's what you were after..l ;-)

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1325981892' post='1490793']
Here's Cliff with his (modified with a humbucker at the neck)

[attachment=96711:3918.jpg]
[/quote]

Ahhh... Awesome pic, legend! I wont be doiny any DIY "improvements" on my bass though :)

I think he stuck a J Bass Bartolini in the bridge PU position too... Did like experimenting!