Why become a member? ×

Recommendations for an acoustic bass

Jono Bolton

I've decided I'd quite like an acoustic bass, mainly for pissing about in the house but also for possibly gigging. My band played an acoustic gig last year and hope to do it again, but I used my Jazz thru an Ampeg, just turned down a bit and with no effects. There was a Tanglewood acoustic in my local music shop that was pretty nice, it was about £250, but I don't know what the model was. Does anyone have one or know of one they would recommend for about £200? My local shop's only a wee one so everything gets sold at full rrp, so I assume I could get it for cheaper.

[quote name='jono b' post='166445' date='Mar 30 2008, 06:46 PM']I've decided I'd quite like an acoustic bass, mainly for pissing about in the house but also for possibly gigging. My band played an acoustic gig last year and hope to do it again, but I used my Jazz thru an Ampeg, just turned down a bit and with no effects. There was a Tanglewood acoustic in my local music shop that was pretty nice, it was about £250, but I don't know what the model was. Does anyone have one or know of one they would recommend for about £200? My local shop's only a wee one so everything gets sold at full rrp, so I assume I could get it for cheaper.[/quote]

I've got a Washburn AB10 I'm selling for £200 ..

If you're really not fussy and it's just for pissing around, I'll tell you how this is when I get it early next week:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Electro-Acoustic-Bass-Guitar-new-43in-natural_W0QQitemZ180228341490QQihZ008QQcategoryZ4713QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Electro-Acoustic-Bas...3QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

There's a fretless one too. Someone mentioned them before, decided I'd give 'em a go.

Probably should've mentioned that I'm not looking to buy just now, but just wanted some suggestions for when I do manage to scrape some cash together. Obviously by then I would've had a chance to try some myself but I know nothing about acoustic basses and so was just after some that I should keep an eye out for, although that Washburn is gorgeous! I saw that no name that you saw darxide, if you could let me know how it is that would be great!

[quote name='jono b' post='166590' date='Mar 30 2008, 10:07 PM']I saw that no name that you saw darxide, if you could let me know how it is that would be great![/quote]

I haven't plugged it in yet because I'm at work, but for £50 I can't *really* complain. It's really nice to play, but it's obviously cheap. Several marks on the neck, fret markers are falling off, thick run of glue along the neck pocket. For noodling, I can't fault it. it's nicely setup, and the spare strings are a nice plus. I'll let you know how it sounds after lunch.

edit - through a Hartke Kickback 15 it sounds really, really good. The onboard EQ is pretty powerful, max the bass and the floor shakes. Nice clear tone. Only issue is the A string is noticeably quieter in volume than the rest, which could be off putting. I might play it with a jazz group tonight and see how it goes and louder volumes.

Edited by thedarxide

There was a Shine acoustic reviewed in last month's BGM. Was well received and got 4 stars. Looks really nice and I'm quite tempted to go for one myself. There is a new one on t'bay £185 delivered [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SHINE-Electro-Acoustic-Bass-Guitar-NEW_W0QQitemZ300189384425QQihZ020QQcategoryZ4713QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem"]here[/url]

I'm heading up to Glasgow tomorrow and I normally park near guitarguitar. I looked at the website the other day and they're doing an Epiphone El Segundo for a quid under £130. There's no cutaway (sad times) but I might go and see if they have one I can have a go on.

May I humbly suggest that at the cheapo end of the market, the Thomann Harley Bentons are pretty good, and from the description of that cheap eBay bass, are a lot better finished. [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=14647"]I'm selling mine (got GAS for a more pricey one...)[/url]

[quote name='Linus27' post='167978' date='Apr 1 2008, 10:52 PM']I recorded once with a fretless Washburn and it was superb. The studio had one and as we were staying at the studio for 3 months, it was always by my side. It belong to one of the guys is Asia but he would not sell me it :):([/quote]

I'm tempted to de-fret mine now :huh:

It would certainly give me a reason to keep it . .

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='thedarxide' post='167524' date='Apr 1 2008, 11:32 AM']I haven't plugged it in yet because I'm at work, but for £50 I can't *really* complain. It's really nice to play, but it's obviously cheap. Several marks on the neck, fret markers are falling off, thick run of glue along the neck pocket. For noodling, I can't fault it. it's nicely setup, and the spare strings are a nice plus. I'll let you know how it sounds after lunch.

edit - through a Hartke Kickback 15 it sounds really, really good. The onboard EQ is pretty powerful, max the bass and the floor shakes. Nice clear tone. Only issue is the A string is noticeably quieter in volume than the rest, which could be off putting. I might play it with a jazz group tonight and see how it goes and louder volumes.[/quote]

I (briefly) had one of these in my possession. Horrible. I had all the issues you describe, except horrible intonation issues as well. Still, I wouldn't put up with variations in string volume - the piezo on these is not very good I think. I freecycled mine. Horrible. Did I say horrible? Just checking if I mentioned that it was horrible. It was horrible.

If the OP is not looking to spend too much, then +1 for the Harley Benton from Thomann - got a guitar for one of my mates from them and it seemed like a reasonable instrument - reasonably well finished and a good player. You might be able to find a good Takamine or similar second hand for around the money you mentioned.