Why become a member? ×

Fingerstyle - what do you guys do with the other 2 fingers?

jackers

So, I've been playing fingerstyle for a few months now, and I've noticed that when I play, my ring and pinky fingers stick out to the side and tend to move around alot. I've not noticed many other players with this 'problem', so I was wondering if there was a standard way to control the extra two fingers, or if people just put them where-ever feels most normal and leave it at that.

Cheers :)

I use my right thumb to anchor, usually on the pickup, and the index and middle fingers to pluck the strings. The other two fingers I just let hang loose or tuck them into my palm. I'm afraid I'm not very disciplined with right hand technique :(

As others have said, I keep my ring and pinkie fingers tucked in towards the palm, where they are out of the way. I'd recommend that you practice alternating your index and middle fingers. Practice VERY SLOWLY at first, paying close attention to keeping the ring and pinkie relaxed and tucked in towards the palm. Spend five to ten minutes doing this exercise as part of your practice routine. At first, your ring and pinkie fingers probably wont do what you want, but with a little time, patience and perseverance they will learn what is expected of them.

While we are on the subject of R/H technique, I hope you dont mind my giving you some extra advice. I notice that you rest your thumb on the pick up. Granted, a lot of bassists do so, but it can lead to wrist or hand problems at a later time, because the wrist is at an awkward angle. You may like to check out the link below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPVMBPmrblU

cheers for the advice guys :)

I have tried the floating thumb, and I just can't get on with it, it's not comfortable. I have a compromise of using the movable anchor technique, where I move my thumb onto the string below the one i'm playing. (I.e. rest the thumb on the E when i play the A etc.)

I dunno why, but it has always felt so much more natural to let my fingers hang like in the video, tucking them into my palm always feels forced and odd.

In terms of muscle tension mine stay relaxed. What that looks like for me is that they tuck under slightly. For some people relaxed will mean they hang quite far out, others it will mean they tuck right under - relaxed is definitely the best way, whatever that may end up looking like.

Re: floating thumb - it may not feel instinctively natural, but - to be blunt - it is by far the most efficient technique for traversing the bass with your right hand (reasons discussed in numerous other threads) and it is far healthier on your hands and wrist than any other technique. Just because it doesn't quite feel natural doesn't mean you should just throw it away as 'not for you'. I appreciate that the bass is a relatively new instrument in the grand scheme of things, but that doesn't automatically equate to 'well whatever works for you' attitude to people's technique... that's just plain wrong, at least from the point of view of what is healthy, let alone what is efficient.

Sorry to be so blunt, I'm just weary of these responses coming up and the same complaints coming up time and time again.

My spare fingers aren't always spare so they float relaxed but close by in case they're needed...

My thumb - (I agree with mcgraham above), although I don't always remember, if I'm playing a more complex or swift string changing pattern then I automatically use the floating thumb thing, otherwise I may anchor my thumb, or anchor my fingers if I'm using my thumb or anchor my wrist if I'm using a pick...

[quote name='jackers' timestamp='1324334407' post='1473249']
cheers for the advice guys :)

I have tried the floating thumb, and I just can't get on with it, it's not comfortable. I have a compromise of using the movable anchor technique, where I move my thumb onto the string below the one i'm playing. (I.e. rest the thumb on the E when i play the A etc.)

I dunno why, but it has always felt so much more natural to let my fingers hang like in the video, tucking them into my palm always feels forced and odd.
[/quote]

The technique used is entirely up to each individual. One technique may not suit all. The golden "rule" however, is to keep both wrists as straight as possible. Do what is comfortable, natural and [b]safe. [/b]

Also, dont forget that it was [b]you [/b]that asked for advice in the first place. :)

Out of curiosity, how long did you spend trying the floating thumb ? Two weeks ? It can take that amount of time and maybe more to get comfortable with it.

Edited by Coilte

They will just naturally stay out of the way ...no concerted thinking needed.

My thumb is achored though..either on the bottom string or the pickup..but after 35 yrs..I don't really have to think about it.
Accept that you can get some funny angles anchored but if you want to avoid injury or problems later on, a lighter touch is a far better way to go...as it
stops the hand getting beaten up so much. IMO.
And the angle really depends how high you have the bass anyway...

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1324334055' post='1473245']
As others have said, I keep my ring and pinkie fingers tucked in towards the palm, where they are out of the way. I'd recommend that you practice alternating your index and middle fingers. Practice VERY SLOWLY at first, paying close attention to keeping the ring and pinkie relaxed and tucked in towards the palm. Spend five to ten minutes doing this exercise as part of your practice routine. At first, your ring and pinkie fingers probably wont do what you want, but with a little time, patience and perseverance they will learn what is expected of them.

While we are on the subject of R/H technique, I hope you dont mind my giving you some extra advice. I notice that you rest your thumb on the pick up. Granted, a lot of bassists do so, but it can lead to wrist or hand problems at a later time, because the wrist is at an awkward angle. You may like to check out the link below.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPVMBPmrblU[/media]
[/quote]

Off topic slightly. If you watch the video to the very end, you will see a menu of other video clips. Bottom right is one called Anthony Jackson bass solo, my hero, only young in this and playing a 4 string, xmas has just come early for me.

Edited by wal4string

Just learn to slap, that'll sort any problems you have with anchoring your thumb or finding something for useless fingers to do.

Alternatively (and perhaps a little more seriously), I've taken to using my three main fingers all the time leaving my pinky finger sticking out a little. When I practice at home, I'll play the same riff with each finger individually and then I'll play more complex riffs using different variations of those three fingers. Keeps them all strong and helps with triplets, trills and muting.

Truckstop