Why become a member? ×

I have too many basses, but don't know which to sell (if any)

dc2009

I've had a realisation of late that my basses get played far too infrequently, and the obvious answer to this is to sell one/some of them (I don't have any more time in my day to play them more). The issue is, I can't really decide which to get rid of. My Dean is up for sale simply because it is a four and it never gets played, so that one isn't really part of the discussion.

To help you guys help me, here's a run down:[list]
[*]My Warwick - she's my pride and joy and not going anywhere, though I will only take her out of the home for suitably non-rowdy gigs as I refuse to take her out in anything less than a hard case
[*]The Spear - my most recent addition and I'm really enjoying it, I take it everywhere in a gig bag (so easier than warwick in that sense) and I'm playing it at both band's practices etc. Actually wouldn't hesitate to play it at a gig though I haven't done so yet.
[*]The two TB's:
[*]The reverse gets played live for the one band (it suits the image - see my music video in OT here: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/162212-my-bands-music-video-heavy-rocklight-metal/"]http://basschat.co.u...ocklight-metal/[/url]), and I love the look of it (will have it on a wall hanger one day), but the neck has been getting on my nerves of late as it takes a lot of adjustment when moving from one bass to another. I used to love the neck so I'm thinking it might just be a temporary thing, and don't feel like selling it on a whim.
[*]The non-reverse only really gets played at home as it's a bit hefty but I love the sound (got nothing else with a PJ or even a P pickup). Unfortunately that does make it second fiddle to my warwick most of the time, but it does have its moments and I do enjoy it.
[/list]
I also have a fairly bad GAS list! I could quite happily substitute the Spear for a Yamaha RBX5-A2 (those new super lightweight things) or a Tanglewater Contemporary J5 (the old me would've bought them without selling the spear). I'd also love to own a Dingwall, and at some point would like an all-graphite Status. EDIT: Oh and I'd really like a sandberg too (but I've a fairly rare, specific one in mind).

I appreciate no-one can make my mind up for me, but any advice or constructive comments are appreciated.

Cheers,
Dan

Edited by dc2009

Personally, I'd get rid of the non-reverse TB. The P or PJ sound can be too easily simulated with by the Warwick, and if it's hefty and cumbersome it wouldn't make me want to play it.

Plus, I don't like the way they look. Eeek, don't flame, just my opinion.

But if you're not liking the reverse neck, maybe you should sell that too?

Sell two basses, buy one you really like!

Edited by Evil Undead

What you really need to do is BUY another bass, that way you'll be so pleased with your new acquisition that you'll forget all about having too many basses..

BTW, just like Santa, there is NO SUCH THING as too many basses!!! (see how I gave that a festive slant...eh..didja??)

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1323773101' post='1466729']
What you really need to do is BUY another bass, that way you'll be so pleased with your new acquisition that you'll forget all about having too many basses..

BTW, just like Santa, there is NO SUCH THING as too many basses!!! (see how I gave that a festive slant...eh..didja??)
[/quote]

Best post so far :)

I really have too many though - I genuinely feel like my basses should be played, and some of them being neglected just doesn't feel right to me!

Yeah I appreciate it's nothing on what some other people have, I'm just so busy at the moment I barely have time to play more than once per week outside of bands practices/gigs.

I do have the dean up for sale, my first bass a crafter cruiser copy that's not even worth selling, and a bass i used to beat up on stage that's sort of in pieces, and an acoustic guitar - but of the ones that get used, only 4, yes :)

De[quote name='dc2009' timestamp='1323822129' post='1467569']
Yeah I appreciate it's nothing on what some other people have, I'm just so busy at the moment I barely have time to play more than once per week outside of bands practices/gigs.

I do have the dean up for sale, my first bass a crafter cruiser copy that's not even worth selling, and a bass i used to beat up on stage that's sort of in pieces, and an acoustic guitar - but of the ones that get used, only 4, yes :)
[/quote] declutter the dean, crafter and the beat up one first- then see what you feel like- declutter is good. You have a good price on that dean too, surprised it's not gone yet

Not a bad call. Thing is, you'd struggle to give away the beat up one, and doubt you'd get more than 50 for the crafter.

I loved that dean but just can't play a 4 anymore! I don't think the price is unreasonable either so thanks mate. I'm not in desperate need of the cash (touch wood) so it's just not worth selling any cheaper!

[quote name='dc2009' timestamp='1323883608' post='1468263']
Not a bad call. Thing is, you'd struggle to give away the beat up one, and doubt you'd get more than 50 for the crafter.

I loved that dean but just can't play a 4 anymore! I don't think the price is unreasonable either so thanks mate. I'm not in desperate need of the cash (touch wood) so it's just not worth selling any cheaper!
[/quote]

what is the beat up one? I bet you could do something with it. part it out? or I found a crappy flying V guitar in a skip once and stuck it up on here for trade I didn't want the guitar. I sent it to london and got a analogue delay pedal to play with.
And even if that and the crafter only makes £60 or so then you have de cluttered

How do you store them? Are they easily accessible? Once I made the Bassdrobe I found myself spending time on all of my basses, depending on my whim of the day. When I kept them in cases and gig bags I would usually find myself playing whatever was easiest to get at. Not any more, each is as easy to get at as the next. Now I'm seeing gaps in the collection again which ought to be filled because I'm playing them all and could fit more into roatation, I reckon :lol:

All I needs now is monies :(

If you don't need the money to spend , have the space for them, and it has no depreciation left in its value, then there is no reason to sell any of them if your not sure which one yet

Unless of course 10% savings come back

Edited by lojo

[quote name='Doctor J' timestamp='1323979793' post='1469545']
How do you store them? Are they easily accessible? Once I made the Bassdrobe I found myself spending time on all of my basses, depending on my whim of the day. When I kept them in cases and gig bags I would usually find myself playing whatever was easiest to get at. Not any more, each is as easy to get at as the next. Now I'm seeing gaps in the collection again which ought to be filled because I'm playing them all and could fit more into roatation, I reckon :lol:

All I needs now is monies :(
[/quote]

I have a rack but store anything valuable in a case (only safe way in a student house). I just genuinely don't have the time to play any more!

You could GIVE me your basses. I'll play them at no added cost to you and you can then relax knowing your basses are being used and no money worries or depreciation issues.

This plan works very well for me. :lol:

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7