Why become a member? ×

Tim Commerford on Evil Empire

rapscallion

Any one have any thoughts on how Timmy C gets that grindy/crunchy tone on Evil Empire? There used to be massive threads on it on MXtabs, but I can't seem to get those up.

I know he used overwound pickups, and has his Ampegs modded in some way. But if there's a practical, easier way, such as pedals, that someones used to get [i]close to [/i]that sound.

An example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hQgCJGNspI

Any helps appreciated, thanks guys

I believe that he uses or used to use a 3 x SVT set-up to produce the clarity with the grit as well. 1 clean, 1 drivey and 1 dirtier. I think I also read that he uses 2 wah pedals together along with customised pedals.

No idea how you'd go about emulating that without the cash and roadies. IMHO one of the great rock tones out there.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1323369003' post='1462655']
Think the one clean/one driven amp is a starting point. There is a lot of clarity in his sound, as well as the drive, so can`t see how it could be done with only one amp.
[/quote]

If you think the CD is all of his amps recorded and mixed together, then reproduced out of one amp... you don't need two amps if you get your blending right.

Like the previous posters I've heard similar stuff.

From what I've heard Tim splits his signal between two and sometimes three amps, mixing clean and overdriven sounds. He uses two wahs that are joined together with a kind of plank arrangement, so that the clean and overdrive are affected at the same time. The previous comments about his overwound pickups I've also read elsewhere.

With one amp it'd be tough to get the exact sound, and actually you wouldn't really get his exact sound even with the same set up would you, plus don't forget that there will have been some studio work on it too. His live sound is amazing, but not exactly the same.

Had a Darkglass B7K in for review recently, and you can get some pretty awesome tones from that, ones that will give you an approximation of his tone at least. It lets you blend the clean and overdrive nicely, and there is also a parallel out, so if you have the luxury of two rigs you can run your distortion into one and clean into the other via the pedal.

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1323423888' post='1463091']
If you think the CD is all of his amps recorded and mixed together, then reproduced out of one amp... you don't need two amps if you get your blending right.
[/quote]

But the colour of the SVT cabs is a big part of the sound, so you'll have to get that in there somehow, then use uncoloured reproduction. Also, CD is stereo, so two amps, dunno if the left and right is identical mix of amps.

lol, yeh, Evil Empire sounds sh*t in mono :)

IMO you don't need two or more valve amps, but you do need a few pedals. Blending a bass overdrive with a guitar distortion, and plenty of control over the EQ on both channels seems to work well for me. Different compressors on each channel can be great too. You also need plenty of high mids from your rig. This might mean you need to add a guitar amp - my peavey 15" combo would never produce enough high mids for this sort of sound.