Why become a member? ×

Pre CBS Fender basses

dafonky

[quote name='BassBod' timestamp='1333300631' post='1599734']
And the original plastic leather bag for the Pbass....now that's impressive - don't they just decompose with age!?
[/quote]

Many do yes, if they're exposed to the elements for long periods, this one is remarkable though, just like the bass. The plastic tends to crack, and the lining go's musty and rot, not this one, although it does smell musty, the bass is not stored in it, i use a hard shell case for protection. It also still has the 'Artistic Products' label sewn inside.

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1333301002' post='1599744']
Many do yes, if they're exposed to the elements for long periods, this one is remarkable though, just like the bass. The plastic tends to crack, and the lining go's musty and rot, not this one, although it does smell musty, the bass is not stored in it, i use a hard shell case for protection. It also still has the 'Artistic Products' label sewn inside.
[/quote]

I've always thought they looked like a good design - be nice if someone made a high quality copy out of some of the modern fake leathers, with good zips etc. I know it wouldn't be cheap but I'd buy one!

[quote name='BassBod' timestamp='1333302029' post='1599771']
I've always thought they looked like a good design - be nice if someone made a high quality copy out of some of the modern fake leathers, with good zips etc. I know it wouldn't be cheap but I'd buy one!
[/quote]

The design[i] is[/i] actually very good, excellent quality zips, and detailed stitching, 2 large pockets, for music books, and cables etc, they are not cheaply made at all. Large sturdy protective studs on the end would stop it getting worn when rested on the floor.
The only thing is the lining/padding isnt the thickest, but then they weren't designed for containing your £20k bass!!

I think a reissue would sell very well, as you say, they wouldn't be cheap though, not when compared to a £20 tweed bass bag.

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1333295906' post='1599665']
Having just taken delivery of a '52 TV Bassman, thought i'd post a pic of it with my '52 Precision, nice set, the original complete Bass Rig, all in remarkable condition. Thought I'd share, as I'm a happy bunny today, now i've paired these two together....

[/quote]

Beautiful

Having just taken delivery of a '52 TV Bassman, thought i'd post a pic of it with my '52 Precision, nice set, the original complete Bass Rig, all in remarkable condition. Thought I'd share, as I'm a happy bunny today, now i've paired these two together....

[/quote]

That is the best vintage combination i have ever seen :o

I would love to own and play that gear :rolleyes:

[quote name='Chris Horton' timestamp='1333313957' post='1600021']
That is the best vintage combination i have ever seen :o

I would love to own and play that gear :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Thanks Chris, it is pretty special. I've dreamed of getting a set like this for many years, the TV Bassman was the last piece, after searching for a very long time, they are near impossible to find, at any price. They only made this model for 6 months, so not many made at all, possibly no others in the UK. This is serial number 0051.

If you're ever in the Midlands, feel free to drop in and have a plonk, you're more than welcome. Rick.

Rick.

[/quote]
What a loverly set B)

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks Chris Horton

I play this bass for 25 years now. When i got "her" she was fretless and active... 80's fashion
When i realized it was a L serie, I had this 63' restored by a famous luthier, she deserved it.

I put flatwounds and the magic came back...
I love the yellowed Olympic White with the greened pick.
Recently i bought a beautiful 60's tortoise pick to a vintage addicted friend. I took some picts, i will add them.

Edited by Emanew

[quote name='Emanew' timestamp='1364407582' post='2026118']
I totally agree with you :) [size=4]Beautiful early 50's you have here. Especialy with a maple neck. Gorgeous [/size][size=4]Roundwounds or flats ?[/size]
[/quote]

Lakland flats! But I feel bound to tell you this is a custom bass built very recently! :)
Pic posted to show colour combo only - probably a fraudulent post, sorry guys! :blush:

[quote name='The Bass Doc' timestamp='1364409526' post='2026144']
Psst, wanna see what genuine roadworn looks like?

My 1963:-

[attachment=131260:116.JPG]

Edit - apologies to the purist/collector types but the J pickup was in there when I bought it many years ago.
[/quote]Look at the chocolatey goodness of that fingerboard, will ya?

I need a pre CBS lefty P, or J bass...I'm of that age now.

[quote name='The Bas[sup]s Doc' timestamp='1364409526' post='2026144']
Psst, wanna see what genuine roadworn looks like?

My 1963:-[/sup]

[attachment=131260:116.JPG]
[/quote]

...and here's what it sounds like, through a Barefaced Compact:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCyD829YY1M

Gan on, Doc!

Embarrassment of the above - sax player being very unpro in his pint drinking prior to soloing. We now have a different saxman.

If anyone's interested (probably not) the first number features the Jazz pickup with tone down, finger-style, and the second clip is the Precision pickup with tone open and pleccy-stylee.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1364407891' post='2026121']

Lakland flats! But I feel bound to tell you this is a custom bass built very recently! :)
Pic posted to show colour combo only - probably a fraudulent post, sorry guys! :blush:
[/quote]

Good choice, i will try these Lakland flats.

No misunderstanding for me concerning your PB's period :D
Anyway your picture is cool, i like all Green pickguards.