Why become a member? ×

Pre CBS Fender basses

dafonky

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='dafonky' timestamp='1322938975' post='1457598']
Hi, I like these pre CBS worn P's and J's ...

here we go:
[/quote]

That is how a precision should look! I have saved the picture of it onto my computer! Hope you don't mind!

Edited by TraceElliotBass

[quote name='alanbass1' timestamp='1324713250' post='1477211']
Just the one, but she is the first ever bass I got back in the 70's.................but not too worn I'm afraid.[/quote]
Don't be afraid alanbass1, loving yours as much as dafonky's beat-up number, but, just out of curiousity....

....can you explain this:

[quote name='mckendrick' timestamp='1325183810' post='1480743']
Don't be afraid alanbass1, loving yours as much as dafonky's beat-up number, but, just out of curiousity....

....can you explain this:

[/quote]

OK. The original owner was a friend of my father who purchased the bass back in '63. Apparently, there was a craze in the sixties of spinning guitar straps. The strap my father's friend bought fixed to the guitar/bass onto a harness that was attached using the strap buttons and two other fixing points that screwed into the body of the instrument, you will see the other mounting point close to the bottom horn. Not only did this require screwing directly into the wood but the other side effect was damage done to the instrument as it looped around and typically hit things as rotation was unpredictable due to the fact there was a lead plugged into it!!! My bass fared OK with just a slightly bent tuner making it very stiff to tune, which was replaced with a tuner from a 1960 P Bass (D string tuner), er - because the owner of the 1960 P Bass fitted new ones back in the early 70's...... - I still have the bent tuner and did have the harness although where it is now I have no idea after numerous house moves since acquiring the bass.

Edited by alanbass1

Great thread! Here's a few of my 1964 Precision. The neck is date stamped 5 Nov 1964, which just happens to be my date of birth, so fate told me I had to get it :D

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/sim0n1964/6227766199/"][/url]

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/sim0n1964/6228270994/"][/url]

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/sim0n1964/6250874573/"][/url]

Edited by simon1964

I was thinking wouldn't it be great if there was a website where you could track the history of different guitars, ie who owned them and where they had been.

It could be done via serial number/manufacturer. Obviously kind of irrelevant for the past but could be great for the future. I'm sure most people would use the service if they knew about, perhaps update the website when they sell the guitar.

It would be like a log book.

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1325464746' post='1483470']
My fave bass, new pic taken today.

[attachment=96198:Basschat Pic.jpg]
[/quote]

A quick question as you appear to have the basses to answer it!

You have the three Precisions that represent the full transition from the original '52/slab to the '58 that we know now recognise as the standard P-Bass. I'm assuming the '52 has a slab body, the '56 a tummy/forearm contour and the '58 it pretty much the P-Bass that [i]everyone [/i]knows. Headstock shape and stomach/forearm routing aside, are the body shapes all identical? It's been something that I've wanted to know for a while, but felt stupid asking...the shapes of the scratchplate(s)/control plates kind of mask what's going on with the body shape.

Cheers
P