Why become a member? ×

New Sterling, few questions

clashcityrocker

hi all, picked up my dream bass yesterday- a Musicman Sterling 3eq
firstly im blown away with the sound, its so versitile! but need to know a few things...... as it has a 3 band EQ on board, do i keep the settings on flat on the amp?
and i want to put strap locks on,obviously, but am dubious about messing with her so soon and my guitarists lock ripped out, which i assume bust the thread in his guitar body, really dont want that happening on my new baby!
a little pic....... with what seems like the worst camera known to man

Edited by clashcityrocker

The strap locks I put on my SR 5 didn't rip out. They never even needed tightening. I assume you're using Schallers...
As for the amp eq, I'd use it to compensate for the room environment, and modify your "tone" using the on board eq.
That's by no means the only option, but it's a good starting point.

If you don`t want to put straplocks on the bass - as I didn`t with my `77 Precision, wanted to keep her all original - these are worth getting:

http://www.gjsguitars.com/dunlop-guitar-strap-lockretainer.ir?cName=accessories-strap-locks&src=froogle

Do the same thing, few seconds to put on after you`ve attached the strap to the bass, same when taking it off. No hassle, and your baby stays pure!

Does your Sterling not have straplocks already installed? Straplocks come in various guises and the ones on my Sterling are the type that 'look' like a conventional pin (and you can use a strap on them) but they have a hollow shaft for the pin style Schaller strap button.

re. the EQ - start flat on your bass by all means but there is nothing wrong with setting the bass anyway you like and then modifying the amp; there is no rule book that says you can't do it how you like (my Sterling sounds great with the bass and treble up full and the mid set flat... almost like a built in mid scoop/slap tone [though I don't slap :) ])

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1322911588' post='1457167']
or go buy a couple of bottles of grolsch with the swing top lids.
[/quote]

That's what I have on all my basses some of which worth over 3 grand, Grolsch washers are cheap and they really work no need to mess about with a screwdriver risking to damage the straplock pin thread and all that jazz.

You can get them on ebay for next to nought, if you don't drink beer.
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Washers-Swing-Top-Grolsch-Bottle-Spares-12PK-NEW-/330491455275?pt=Home_Brew&hash=item4cf2d3672b"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Washers-Swing-Top-Grolsch-Bottle-Spares-12PK-NEW-/330491455275?pt=Home_Brew&hash=item4cf2d3672b[/url]

By the way, sweet bass you've got there.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1322918462' post='1457276']
That's what I have on all my basses some of which worth over 3 grand, Grolsch washers are cheap and they really work no need to mess about with a screwdriver risking to damage the straplock pin thread and all that jazz.

You can get them on ebay for next to nought, if you don't drink beer.
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Washers-Swing-Top-Grolsch-Bottle-Spares-12PK-NEW-/330491455275?pt=Home_Brew&hash=item4cf2d3672b"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item4cf2d3672b[/url]

By the way, sweet bass you've got there.
[/quote]

My thoughts exactly!

I've been gigging with an SB14 for the last year now. I've fitted Marvel straplocks which work well.

I keep the controls flat on my LM2 just using the bass to make adjustments. Even after a year's use I'm still undecided on the sounds produced by the pickup selector switch though!

I have the superior model in red - which of course sounds better :)

Re the EQ also get used to what the 5 way switch does for your tone and use it as opposed to tweaking the EQ once it's in the 'ballpark'.

If you find the strap lock screws a bit loose and likely to rip out it's no biggie (my Sterling has chrome Schallers fitted from new). Simply shave down a matchstick or two and insert them into the hole with some PVA glue and you have a secure and invisible repair.

What GreeneKing said -I heartily concur!

I put Schaller straplocks on both my old Laklands after getting a MIA Jazz with them standard-fitted and thinking them rather nifty. The old Lakland screws were bigger-bore than the Schaller's (which didn't touch the sides :) ) and the screwheads wouldn't even fit inside the Straplock buttons to bodge it but it's incrediby easy to put a few slivers of matchstick dipped in pva/'wood' glue in the hole before you screw in the Straplock with the supplied screw. This was pre my discovery of handy advice sources like BC, I think I saw the tip in one of the mags tho.

It felt solid as a rock straight away and I went on to gig both basses literally five hundred times afterwards without incident, so I've done the same to new basses evr since. It's not hard to restore the original buttons after if you wish.

Mind, also did the Grolsch-grommit thing before that and never dropped a bass then either! :)

thanks for all the replies. getting used to the eq now, the treble is so sensitive so i hardly move that from the lowest point (although this is with a little Marshall 30w practice amp). with the pick-up selector all the way the the right,as you look down on it, the slap tone is literally perfection,everything i wanted from getting a Musicman over my p bass.

and strap locks fitted now, i used the original screws from the bass as the ones supplied with the locks were less than half the length!

many thanks

si