Why become a member? ×

New Zoom B3

dannybuoy

Only time I ever had a 'problem' with ordering from effectpowersupplies was when the pedal I ordered wasn't in stock... Somebody from the store actually phoned me up to tell me this. I was told when I could expect it to arrive, and asked if i'd prefer to wait, to cancel the delivery, or if I'd like an alternative... Was even given some pretty decent info on other similar pedals in the price range! Pretty impressive really :)

EDIT: Don't remember the name of the guy I'm afraid, but if it was Richard.. Cheers Richard! :D

Edited by chrismuzz

Just back from a band practice .. you can't beat fitting all your effects and leads etc. in one guitar case B)

[IMG]http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h352/tony_char/b3.jpg[/IMG]

...for those interested it's a standard american p-bass case, I had to cut the polystyrene out of the bottom of the middle pocket to allow the 'flap' to close with it in place .. I spray mounted a thin piece of foam to the plastic of the case that was revealed, but the width and length of the standard pocket fits the unit like a glove.

B3 arrived yesterday - ordered at the weekend. Fairly prompt service from effectpowersupplies. Only had 1/2 hour to look at it last night - so just about had time to figure out the menu navigation. But good first impressions. Seems nice and sturdy. Looks and feels like a decent bit of kit.

The screens didn't seem [i]too [/i]fragile - although best kept sheltered from beer slops, stage-blundering bandmates and unfortunate incidents with cymbal stands.

Started with the easy bit - the tuner. I think someone on this thread said they were a bit disappointed with it - admittedly its not a Korg DTR (or similar), but seemed more than adequate to me. Lights are bright enough to see what's going on - and you can easily see how far you are from the note. Its easier to use than the tuner on the B2, which required fancy footwork to get both pedals down at the same time. Push and hold for mute, and tap it again to bring it back. Happy with that!

The patches were a bit bewildering to start with - but slowly (cos I'm a bit dim, and haven't read all the preceding posts) got the gist that you can have any combination of up to 3 patches (one in each window). Sort of like the spinners on a fruit machine. I'd thought that each window would have a different bank of patches (one for amps, one for pedals etc) but that's apparently not the case. Each window accesses the same bank of patches, so you just choose which one to put in each window. So thats different to the B2 where there are up to 9 things in the chain (including noise reduction and 2 EQs).

But - from a control perspective - this approach is much closer to having the actual pedals / amps etc - as each one is presented as a virtual unit (where you can play with the nobs, so to speak, more or less as they would appear on the real version). Very cool. You could - if you wanted - have two or three of the same patch, with different settings. I'm not sure why you'd want to do that, but can be done. It seems pretty easy to swap the order of the patches, save and name your own patches etc etc. There's loads of the damn things - I'm sure I wont bother with the vast majority. Can't comment yet on the most important bit - does it sound any good? - how they compare to the real thing etc - but if nothing else, it should be great fun for mucking about / recording etc. Its going to take a while to suss the level settings for individual paramenters, then at a patch level, then at a master level, and the whole wet/dry thing. But if I needed something simple, I should have just bought one pedal!.

I did notice that the gain on the amp sims was more convincing than the B2, so you can get some grit out of the amps if you want.

Next - the looper. I know I'm going to annoy the hell out of bandmates with it. Excellent! Seems quite straightforward - press to start recording. Press again to stop (or it can be set to match a number of beats when using the drum machine). Same for the overdubs. So you can layer up a sound and put the guitarist out of a job when it comes to solos. I haven't figured out how to change patches for the overdubs - that seems more fiddly than I'd have liked (you have to go back to the home screen, and somehow get back again). I'll have to work on that.

The drum machine seems like the same basic boom-toosh boom-toosh that you get with the B2. I haven't looked at it properly yet. But its probably ok for jamming at home.

So thats the first impressions. Roll on the weekend!

Had a good chance to play with this today, here are some thoughts:

Overdrive - BB Preamp sounds reasonably close to the real deal, with the added feature of a clean blend. The Boss ODB-3 sim is not far off either although has tone control instead of active hi/lo eq so doesn't have the same monstrous lows. The Bass Big Muff is also great, adding features to the original of a proper blend control and the ability to have the bass boost mode on with the bend simultaneously. The Sansamp BDDI is pretty good too. The rest are pretty meh.

Filters - the Q-Tron and Moog LPF are excellent, although I can't get the expression control to work very well with them. Perhaps I need a real Zoom pedal instead of my Moog one, I'll have to look up the specs.

Synths - Mostly garbage except the G5 clone which has flawless tracking and a very usable sound. Never heard a real G5 to compare though.

Compressors - The are surprisingly good, I remember them being useless on the B2. They fatten up the tone nicely.

Amp Sims - Only had a quick go of these through headphones, will try through the monitors tomorrow. They seem pretty average overall, most are clean, the SVT / B-15 / Bassman can get a bit dirty but can't do a heavy overdrive. The B-15 sounds nice when pushed for a fat round Motown tone.

Only had a brief spin of the delays and modulation but they seem ok. With the looper, tuner, drum machine, USB audio interface, DI output etc this is a bit of a bargain unit

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1329511229' post='1543781']
Synths - Mostly garbage except the G5 clone which has flawless tracking and a very usable sound. Never heard a real G5 to compare though.
[/quote]

I had a very different experience, though the G5 clone had a pretty good tone I thought the tracking of that and all other synths was awful.

I was playing with a BB415 on the bridge pickup and the synth tracked instantly with absolutely no noticeable delay all over the fretboard including down to low B. The other synths were mistracking all over the shop and had a big delay between striking the note and hearing the sound.

[quote name='1976fenderhead' timestamp='1329512063' post='1543795']
I had a very different experience, though the G5 clone had a pretty good tone I thought the tracking of that and all other synths was awful.
[/quote]

It probably depends a lot on the sound you get/want from your bass... the B3 (and other synths I guess) detect the frequency of the note and if there are a lot of mids, harmonics or whatnot the synth has more difficulty in tracking the actual note being played.

[quote name='aldude' timestamp='1329730800' post='1546352']
It probably depends a lot on the sound you get/want from your bass... the B3 (and other synths I guess) detect the frequency of the note and if there are a lot of mids, harmonics or whatnot the synth has more difficulty in tracking the actual note being played.
[/quote]

Or maybe if there aren't enough mids - I always have a slight cut on mids and slight boost on lows and highs on my bass....