Why become a member? ×

Acoustic Image amp - any good for electric bass?

Clarky

I have an AI Clarus+ which produces the clearest, most faithful representation of upright bass of any amp I've tried (my opinion). I put it through an AI cab or - for more volume - a Wizzy 12. I've never considered using it for electric bass as I have always assumed it to be DB-specific (the features are clearly DB tailored, eg, phase switch, notch filter, mic input). However, this means I have two rigs, one of which is not being used (my electric rig, based around an Aguilar TH500). This is clearly a bit superfluous if the AI works well in an electric setting. Thus, I just wondered if any of you doublers have tried an AI for electric gigs and how it measures up? Thanks!

Yes, I run my Focus 1 for both db and leccy. It's 600 watts into 4 ohm so paired with 2 Aggie GS112s, it puts out. But, I always run some sort of preamp pedal with tone shaping in front to boost the signal and add a bit more tonal variety. The AI tone controls aren't the most dynamic, but with a Sadowski pre DI or DHA DI EQ etc...you get more flexibility.

The thing I like about AI is that they sound pretty neutral so if you run something like a Tech21 VT bass pedal in front, you get that out to your speakers. As you mentioned above, they sound great for db and other acoustic instruments as well.

I used a Clarus with a SABBDI for a while, I think the SABBDI was the weak link in that setup. Changed the SABBDI for a tube preamp (some cheapo think intended for vocalists) and it was a nice little rig. Had a couple of AI SA's and a Yamaha PB-1 later on and it was fantastic. Big fan of AI, their amps are very well designed and are honestly specced.

I ran for a long time doubling DB and plank into a Focus 2. I still regret selling it and when I see another will try and pick it up. Putting a preamp into the power stage for the plank made it nicer. I ran it into a Berg NV610 and it was just luscious.

I've used my Clarus for electric bass. The basic sound is good, but the EQ is not great for electric bass IMO as there is not much "voicing" built in and the mid control is not centred in quite the right place for my needs . I'd imagine it would work well with an active bass where you've sorted out your EQ on the way in. I like to run an OLC flipster (FET preamp voiced to sound a bit like an Ampeg fliptop) in front of mine when playing electric. The HPF is useful if you're trying to squeeze the maximum level out of a small cab.
I should probably keep quiet about this (as it's not a bad product), but I wasn't crazy about the DHA DI-EQ I had. The EQ didn't seem to work in nearly the way I expected and it was quite hard to get really musical results.

I use both an AI Contra R and AI Clarus for both DB and electric. I found both to be great with electric basses. I mainly use Status Graphite basses and they sound great. I've also used a Fender P and got good results (although I would tend to concur that active basses work better in terms of EQ control). I tend to leave the EQ generally 'flat'.

With the Clarus, it will depend what speaker cab you use as this can 'colour' the sound.

Edited by zero9