Why become a member? ×

Optimum distance from pick up to string??

TheGreek

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1322140484' post='1447055']

DON'T DO THAT WITH A BATTERY - ITS DANGEROUS ESPECIALLY MORE SO WITH A LONG LIFE BATTERY LIKE DURACELL.
This has been known to kill.

[/quote]

Sorry to be a spoilsport, but I don't believe you.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/07/28/the_odd_body_death_by_battery/

although...

http://www.darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin1999-50.html

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1322140484' post='1447055']
DON'T DO THAT WITH A BATTERY - ITS DANGEROUS ESPECIALLY MORE SO WITH A LONG LIFE BATTERY LIKE DURACELL.
This has been known to kill.
[/quote]

Dave,

C'mon... it works wonders with a drummer who's a little off the pace... and I'd always be happy to take the risk. :)

[quote name='bremen' timestamp='1322140926' post='1447065']

[url="http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/07/28/the_odd_body_death_by_battery/"]http://www.theregist...ath_by_battery/[/url]

although...

[url="http://www.darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin1999-50.html"]http://www.darwinawa...win1999-50.html[/url]
[/quote]

I can imagine maybe if you had a cut on your tounge it might be nasty. At any rate, you might as well just buy a multimeter (although don't use it like the sailor in that article lol). I ought to get a multimeter. In fact I might ask for one for christmas.

Edited by EdwardHimself

[quote name='EdwardHimself' timestamp='1322147970' post='1447231']
I can imagine maybe if you had a cut on your tounge it might be nasty. At any rate, you might as well just buy a multimeter (although don't use it like the sailor in that article lol). I ought to get a multimeter. In fact I might ask for one for christmas.
[/quote]

Even then it'd be painful not fatal. What killed the sailor was the current flowing in through the thumb, down the arm and through the heart.

People who beleive these nonsense electrical stories have no concept of the way electricity flows, the reason it tingles your tongue is because the positive energy is flowing to the negative pole on the battery, how can that kill you? 415 volts across your tongue would not kill you, It might blow your tongue off and you could die from loss of blood maybe! :)

[quote name='Jondeeman' timestamp='1322138607' post='1446994']
Just out of interest, what do people use under their p'ups?

Personally, I prefer foam (I usually get the Fender ones) as I tend to anchor me thum on the p'up, and have had problems with spring movement in the past. I've always associated the silicone tube with low end gear, but can't profess to've ever given it a go.

I assume everybody uses something?!?
[/quote]
I use 10mm adhesive black foam weather strip similar to the picture below. For deeper pickup cavities, I'll layer it so that the pickup can be raised to any height and remains stable.

[url="http://images.productserve.com/preview/1228/3641497.jpg"][/url]

Edited by Green Alsatian

[quote name='bremen' timestamp='1322140926' post='1447065']

[url="http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/07/28/the_odd_body_death_by_battery/"]http://www.theregist...ath_by_battery/[/url]

although...

[url="http://www.darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin1999-50.html"]http://www.darwinawa...win1999-50.html[/url]
[/quote]

And the conclusion was that "normally" it wouldn't kill but how do you know you don't have a heart condition and that the battery could in effect earth through your body to the floor or across the heart because of the water content in your body.
The lab coats couldn't actually give a definitive that it wouldn't or hasn't occurred.

With regards 415V on your tongue - try it and see which way the current earths. It won't be a direct short across your tongue and no - I haven't tried it. :)

Its not good operating pratcice to test batteries across your tongue. That's a simple fact.

Have you considered the effects a mobile has on your brain function well what effect is a long life battery current across your brain area going to have.
For a bassist probably no effect i guess. :) :)

If you feel you are addicted enough at discharging a battery across your tongue then by all means go ahead but Duracell have a test function built in so WHY ?

All the best
Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

I dont want to go down this route in this thread really but 415 volts is measured between 2 phases (660 across all 3) so it would just earth across your tongue like the battery does from one terminal to the other, it [i]always[/i] takes the eaisest path to flow so it would not earth through your body although the surge [u]would[/u] be massive and [u]would[/u] fry your tongue in fairness :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1322246087' post='1448645']
I dont want to go down this route in this thread really but 415 volts is measured between 2 phases (660 across all 3) so it would just earth across your tongue like the battery does from one terminal to the other, it [i]always[/i] takes the eaisest path to flow so it would not earth through your body although the surge [u]would[/u] be massive and [u]would[/u] fry your tongue in fairness :)
[/quote]

It doesn't quite work like that. Each phase of a standard three phase supply is referenced to earth (240VAc). Because of the 120 deg phase difference a 240Vac supply gives 415Vac (RMS) between phases.

If you stuck two phases on your tongue then there would be a very large current between the two phases due to the voltage and the low resistance. However each connection would still be at 240V relative to earth, say your feet, so you'd still get the current flowing from each phase to earth through your body.
If the supply had a limited capacity then the available then the current would be divided according to the voltage and the resistance between the various connections, but if the supply is effectively limitless (which any three phase supply is likely to be - in terms of the currents through your body) then each circuit would draw a current as if it was the only connection.

So, if you stick a three phase supply on your tongue you'd still get a current through your body the same or worse as if you just stuck as single 240V supply on your tongue.

Do not try this at home (Or anywhere)

I'm a Health and Safety Professional, and when I took my qualifications, we were told that a handful of people die every year from putting a 9v battery on their tongue. Apparently, it is usually because the victim has an underlying heart irregularity which they are unaware of, and the charge from the battery is just enough to f*** them up.

Don't know how accurate this is, it's just what we were told by our tutor.

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1322261559' post='1448839']
It doesn't quite work like that. Each phase of a standard three phase supply is referenced to earth (240VAc). Because of the 120 deg phase difference a 240Vac supply gives 415Vac (RMS) between phases.

If you stuck two phases on your tongue then there would be a very large current between the two phases due to the voltage and the low resistance. However each connection would still be at 240V relative to earth, say your feet, so you'd still get the current flowing from each phase to earth through your body.
If the supply had a limited capacity then the available then the current would be divided according to the voltage and the resistance between the various connections, but if the supply is effectively limitless (which any three phase supply is likely to be - in terms of the currents through your body) then each circuit would draw a current as if it was the only connection.

So, if you stick a three phase supply on your tongue you'd still get a current through your body the same or worse as if you just stuck as single 240V supply on your tongue.

Do not try this at home (Or anywhere)
[/quote]

You kinda beat me to that one. Ouch sore tongue no matter what. :)

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1322264125' post='1448872']
I'm a Health and Safety Professional, and when I took my qualifications, we were told that a handful of people die every year from putting a 9v battery on their tongue. Apparently, it is usually because the victim has an underlying heart irregularity which they are unaware of, and the charge from the battery is just enough to f*** them up.

Don't know how accurate this is, it's just what we were told by our tutor.
[/quote]

I think a lot of these facts aren't fully read and understood even by tutors and although you are a Health & Safety professional are you qualified in every aspect of engineering. My understanding of HSE is that they have a core skill (might be electrical) and a general feel for most areas which they really need to have because of their diverse working areas. Please note that i think that is a positive trait and i work hand in hand with our local HSE department both for advice and routine auditing.

No matter what i wouldn't like to get a belt of 415V its painful even at 110V (= 50V to earth from a centre tapped transformer)
That gives a nice tingle up the arm and i speak from experience of when i was an apprentice.

Chances are a 9v battery won't have any adverse affect - BUT IT MIGHT :)

SORRY MATE - LOOKS LIKE WE'VE TAKEN OVER THIS THREAD WITH INSIGINIFICANT TOSH

I measured all of my basses and they average at 5-6mm at neck to 4-5mm at bridge.
I did note that the Fender (i think) comment about 2-2.8mm isn't how mines came. It is probably on the higher end of my average with neck being well over 5mm and if they were at 2-2.8mm my strings would touch when i play hard near the neck. I'm not sure that is the main problem with your bass. Sounds like gain on the electronics isn't set correctly and should be easy enough to rectify.
I also have a Warwick Thumb NT with EMG's and they are similar at 5-6mm

cheers
Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

[quote name='Horizontalste' timestamp='1322248360' post='1448679']
Anyway, getting back on topic. If you didn't raise at least one of the pickups there would be "nowhere to stick ya thumb" :)
[/quote]

I'm surprised it's taken this long for this very important point to be made!

Death by duracell indeed. It's health and safety gone mad ;-)

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1322297935' post='1448959']
No need for measurements. The optimal distance for the pickups to the string is as close as possible without the string hitting the pickup while playing or the magnetic field adversely affecting the sustain or creating atonal overtones.
[/quote]

What he said. This depends on the strength of the magnets; for example the installation instructions for the emg-p state that it has an unusually weak magnetic field and should be raised higher than a passive pickup.

Always take care with an active bass by the way. Several people die every year from being electrocuted posing in front of the mirror in damp bathrooms.

[quote name='bremen' timestamp='1322298754' post='1448971']
Always take care with an active bass by the way. Several people die every year from being electrocuted posing in front of the mirror in damp bathrooms.
[/quote]

Really ? I didn't know that. :)
Is that because they've attached the shower head to the ceiling light.
Damn some people spoil all the fun.

OK if you switch the active circuit off though. :)
or wear a rubber wetsuit when posing.

BE SAFE OUT THERE

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

Just finished dealing with the pick up issue - 10 minutes with a screwdriver and some insulation - levels now set to something similar to my other basses - I was able to do this myself without any problem and, to be honest, I'm not sure why others felt the need for a character assassination.

Yes, Mark is a new builder with limited experience - and, as with any custom product, teething problems are to be expected (though one hopes to avoid these) - sinking the p/ups into the body is quite innovative in my mind and a nice touch to the design...anybody having a close look would be more than happy with the work on the bass...it's not perfect but I don't need it to be - the finish on the timber/grain is of a high standard, the electrics are now working properly and I'm happy with what I got for my money.

I accept that both he and I learned something from this - he, that you can sometimes be too radical..and a few technical lessons that he probably won't fall foul of again..

Thanks to those who gave advice on heights/gaps - I actually got something from this..

I'll be posting some photos both here and in the build thread later today hopefully..

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1322134050' post='1446868']
Do I read this correctly? The guy who built this instrument didn't fit any apparatus for adjusting the height of the pickup? No springs, no silicon tubing, no foam bed? So, if you wanted a super low action, or a super high action, the pickup couldn't be adjusted to suit? If so, then the guy's an idiot. For optimum performance, you have to be able to adjust the height of the pickup. That's electric bass design 101.
[/quote]

I've had a bass from a well-known luthier come with no means of height adjustment (as defined above) it (Seymour Duncan MMHB) was just screwed into the body.
I put a bed of foam rubber under it after the polepieces retreated out of the cover when I loosened the screws to raise the pick-up a bit to improve the output/string volume balance.
Surprised that suomething like that had been omitted? Yes. Impressed? No.