Why become a member? ×

***SOLD*** The Most Special Wal Of All?? ***SOLD***

lowregisterhead

THE BASS HAS NOW BEEN SOLD. THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR YOUR INTEREST.

After much deliberation, I'm offering for sale an exceptionally rare and special Wal - it's the last one Wal co-founder Pete Stevens made before he hung up his tools, marking the end of an era for these fantastic instruments. It was made for fellow Basschatter Walbassist, and I've enjoyed it for the last two years, but owing to an upcoming investment opportunity, I feel I have to put it up for sale.

It's a MkIII 5-string, with a few special features. The following is taken from Gareth's original listing, used with his permission:

"This is a very special bass to me for a number of reasons, but probably the most important one for everyone else is that it is the last bass Pete Stephens made before he retired, so it truly does represent the end of the original Wal line.

So, what else makes this bass so special? Well, it has a few unique features:[list]
[*]it’s the only Wal with spalted maple facings, supplied to Pete by me from a ski-ing holiday in Vermont
[*]American walnut core (usually mahogany)
[*]the custom neck pickup placement makes the bass a tad punchier and, to me, more ergonomic when playing fingerstyle (one other Wal has this pickup arrangement as well, which was also made for me)
[*]bound veneer around the pickups
[*]double pinstripe laminate (usually only one) between the core and facings
[*]Pete’s personal “fish” logo on the back of the headstock
[/list]
Weighing it at 10.5lb (4.75kilos), the bass balances well with no neck dive at all. It delivers all the classic Wal tones (and I’ve owned enough of them over the years to know!); big fat punchy bass but with plenty of control and presence. You can go from almost subharmonic to crystal-clear highs in the turn of a knob. If you like the Wal sound, then this bass is for you."

The only changes made since I bought it is the addition of a clear circular perspex 'slap plate', which was made and installed by Paul Herman, the new owner of the Wal brand. It is held in place by the truss rod adjustment 'boat' at the base of the neck, and can easily be removed. The bass has been gigged very little, and is in excellent condition.

Although every Wal is an individual instrument, this one is definitely extra special. It plays beautifully, currently setup with a low, fast action, fitted with D'Addario EXL170-5 nickel strings, and sounds phenomenal. It's also the best balancing and most comfortable bass I've ever owned, bar none.

The price is a firm £3500, including Wal-branded hard case. Sorry, but I wouldn't be interested in any trades, or offers. Please PM me if you would like more info.

Dave

Edited by lowregisterhead

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1322000881' post='1445446']
From the title I thought you might be selling one of Mick Karn's fretlesses..
[/quote]

Now that would have been something... I work for someone who knew him very well, but enquiring what was happening to his basses would be a difficult question to ask! I also have a Lakland/Prose I know you were interested in that's coming out of the workshop tomorrow after an extensive makeover - I'm afraid it's unlikely to be for sale, but I'll be posting some pics in a few days.

[font=times new roman, times, serif][size=6][sub][/sub][/size][/font]

[font=times new roman, times, serif][size=6][sub]I played this when I visited Paul's office a few years ago. Very nice. I recommend it![/sub][/size][/font]
[font=times new roman, times, serif][size=6] [/size][/font]

[quote name='Francesco' timestamp='1322078345' post='1446329']
Although I find it a beautiful bass, it’s far to personal to make it feel like your own.
[/quote]

I can understand that point of view, as I wondered about that when I bought it myself. It's not only a thing of great beauty, it's also a wonderful working instrument, a tool of the trade, as well as a desirable collector's piece, and a little bit of Wal history. It's mine for now, but someone else will use it, get to know it, and enjoy it as their own as I have. And I will miss it! :)