Why become a member? ×

Precision uneven string response

ivansc

Yes we all know it, top two sound weedy compared to the bottom two.

And after thirty odd years of`no Precision`, I now have a Mexican Rosewood board one.

And my question is: In the intervening period, has anyone come up with a pickup, or a set of strings, or a bridge, or whatever that actually gets all four strings sounding even yet?

I was about to pop for either an EMG active pickup (had a PJ set on my original work bass for years) or maybe Lollar or similar, but thought I would see what the accumulated wisdom on here says first.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you have, guys.

Oh and no I dont want to put a carbon fiber neck on it or a graphite one!! (grin)

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1321301679' post='1437592']

And after thirty odd years of`no Precision`, I now have a Mexican Rosewood board one.

And my question is: In the intervening period, has anyone come up with a pickup, or a set of strings, or a bridge, or whatever that actually gets all four strings sounding even yet?

I was about to pop for either an EMG active pickup (had a PJ set on my original work bass for years) or maybe Lollar or similar, but thought I would see what the accumulated wisdom on here says first.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you have, guys.

Oh and no I dont want to put a carbon fiber neck on it or a graphite one!! (grin)
[/quote]

It's never been an issue with the various Precisions I've owned...have I just been lucky?

Oh! my original `62 rosewood board Precision was a real pain in the butt in this respect. I bought it in late `62 used and wound up putting Rotop K`s flat wounds on it to sort the uneven string sound problem out.

Maybe it is because I am a very hard player, but the top two on every Precision I have ever played have just wimped right out on me & I have had this discussion with many other Precision players over the years.
In fact the USA equivalent of this forum right now has a discussion going on over exactly this. Their answer seems to be to fit a .40 -.95 set, but I suspect I would break them in two minutes flat.

I had a deal going with Alembic years ago and got some .45 - 105s that worked pretty good, but I did break a lot of them too.

Maybe I should just quit beating on my bass so hard...... next step looks like a set of D`Addario half rounds and some pickup wrangling to see if that helps.

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1321302630' post='1437611']
Maybe it is because I am a very hard player, but the top two on every Precision I have ever played have just wimped right out on me & I have had this discussion with many other Precision players over the years.
[/quote]
I don't really know what to say to that. I've had a number of P's over the years, and they're consistently the most even basses I own.

Maybe it is a technique thing, or, as has been mentioned, make sure the pickups aren't too low or too high.

Is your action particularly low? Could the strings be choking when you dig in?

(grin) You have no idea how hard I play!!!!

Suspect that is a lot of the problem. But no matter how gently I try to play I have always had a problem with this, pick or fingers.

My old work bass, which is a weird hybrid Explorer shaped body with a Jazz shaped neck and modified with one of the earliest sets of EMG P/Js doesn`t do this, but I do have the action set very high and a HUGE bow in the neck to accommodate my style. Oh, and 55-110 strings.

I was just hoping I might be able to use a regular precision without having to resort to that sort of extreme setup again.

Ah, well - I`ll give the ground round wounds a go ....

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1321304130' post='1437637']
Beginning to wish I hadn`t asked - so embarrassed.
[/quote]

Don't be, sounds like you have an extreme technique that calls for an extreme setup. Interesting that you say emg pickups have worked for you. These have a weaker magnetic field than passive. Maybe try lowering the pickups so they're miles away from the strings?

[/quote]

Don`t be, I`m in the same position. I have my Precisions set up properly, but because I`m so heavy handed, the E & A sound like atomic bombs going off in comparison to the D & G. So I find leaving the D & G pickup where it is, and lowering the E & A pickup, with constant adjustment, til I get it right is the only way that works.

Am I embarrassed, no - once it`s adjusted properly, it sounds great. And that`s what counts.

[/quote]

Shouldn't be embarrassed at all. It could be a number of factors:

Dead Strings
Pickup Height
Uneven String Height (Bridge)

And something which hasn't been mentioned yet, EQ. You may have an issue if you have the tone all the way down. I have never used my precision except for Vol/Tone both on Full.

Your playing technique may be a contributing factor but a simple test would to play one string open then mute it. Followed by the next string at the same strength and mute. Wash, Rinse and repeat. If they don't sound even it is VERY unlikely to be down to you.

Finally, if you can't get an even sound out of it take it to a luthier before splashing out on pickups.

Don't ever be embarrassed for asking a question though :)

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1321309309' post='1437746']
And something which hasn't been mentioned yet, EQ. You may have an issue if you have the tone all the way down. I have never used my precision except for Vol/Tone both on Full.
[/quote]
EQ on the amp could be a factor too, although that's more likely to take out a note or range of notes rather than whole strings, which is why I was asking about that above.

Edited by EssentialTension

Wow great response, first lets dispense with the Stingray advice.

Had one which I traded for the Precision, because there was nowhere to put my thumb that worked for me, also too much fart and not enough grunt for me.

Next I think we might be onto something with the dropping the lower pickup right down and the upper one right up.
Then all I would have to contend with is the clacking of strings as I bash them onto the pole pieces of the upper two strings!
Seriously, on a friends Jazz bass that I use in his studio we wound up putting a couple of layers of gaffer tape over the pole pieces.

Another reason the EMGs worked, I guess.

NOT dead strings.
NOT uneven string height.

And as far as the EQ (treble cut knob, I presume?) is concerned yes it does stay pretty much off, another reason I am considering ground wound - I seem to recall they sound a lot less bright to begin with so I might be able to start playing with the treble cut somewhere other than fully off!

Interesting there is only one other sufferer showed up on here so far...

P.S. Forgot - the "other thread" was pretty much someone else with the same problem as me and the respondents were all suggesting flat wound strings or half rounds. I`m getting better responses here, so far! Well done guys.

Edited by ivansc

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1321310481' post='1437770']
P.S. Forgot - the "other thread" was pretty much someone else with the same problem as me and the respondents were all suggesting flat wound strings or half rounds. I`m getting better responses here, so far! Well done guys.
[/quote]
At least two of your respondents here are flatwound users. I'm surprised we haven't suggested them yet.

The Stingray comment was only a joke as they are known for having weak G strings (oo Err) , That said the same method that works applies here too, for most a less is more approach works by taking the E&A end away from the strings rather than trying to put the D&G end too high to play properly if like me and you your a bit ham fisted. I like to try adjust the pickup height at practice at a gig volume and band mix, Its often hard to tell there is even an issue in isolation. :)

I graduated to the ground round wound after years of flats when I started playing a Rickenbacker 4001 in the seventies.

Now that was a cool bass apart from being a bit of a one trick pony.

And I never had the problem with it, or the Travis Bean I traded it for.

In fact the Jazz bass I referred to earlier is just fine as well.

Only seems to happen with Precisions with passive pickups.

I am going to try the pickup height tweak when I get back to the UK Wednesday night and if that doesn`t do the trick I will be fitting some D`Addario half rounds.

OH and I forgot to add this imbalance is the same all the way up the neck regardless, which is what has happened with me and Precisions before.

Such a shame, I LOVE the Precision sounds. I am going to get it right.

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1321301679' post='1437592']

[/quote]

Not with a Precision, but with my jazz bass, with its new pickups, I noticed the very same thing. It corrected (I guess you'd say) after I rolled off the bridge pickup a bit. So I can't match the pickups fifty-fifty, but I still get huge sound. So I think my issue is the pickups, but I'm living with it because I still get good sound.

tg

Fortunately a 4 string P allows a good deal of individual string adjustment. But if that doesn't compensate for a particular playing style there could actually be a problem with one of the coils of the pickup. If the OP doesn't find this problem on other P Basses a swap of any other pickup to his bass might find the problem.

If he could take his bass to a store or friend with another P and see if it's just the one bass that may pinpoint the issue.