Why become a member? ×

Mr Brightside - the Missing Notes?

Dave D

Very difficult with the arrangments of Killers tunes as they are both clever but uneducated musically, if you know what I mean.

Depending on what key you play it in..we play it down a semi tone...you'll just need to be able to play root and 3rd over an octave,
so C, F, Am G...and one beat per bar.

Thanks guys.

I was going in the right direction, and although i don't really understand the theory, i seem to have been doing the kind of things you've suggested.

I'll probably get to rehearsal tomorrow and find the guitarists do something slightly different over that passage and we'll end up clashing!

Simpler explaination if key is C

C on the E string in unison with E on G str
F on E string with A on G st
A on E st at 17th fret with C on Gst at 16th
G on Est at 15th fret with B on Gst at 15tth

Gtrs should be playing a set part so you underpin this with these chords,

I play from the standard notation that was on Dave Marks' website. Unfortunately it's not on there anymore.

Think the original recording is in Db Major.

I play the following notes together around the 12th fret area, as per the notation

Db and F
Db and Gb
Bb and Db
C and Eb
Db and F
Db and Gb

Works a treat :)

All these replies makes me realise there are far too many covers bands already doing this one so next time the band suggest it I'll veto it. We tried it once in a rough version at rehearsal but it was painfully clear that playing it in D was a step too far for my ageing vocal range so I think we'll give it a miss anyhow! :)

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1320932464' post='1433355']
All these replies makes me realise there are far too many covers bands already doing this one
[/quote]

I'm friggin sick of it. I was in three bands at one point which ALL did it along with that bloody Sex On Fire song.

I usually play -

[font=courier new,courier,monospace]G|--10--3--6--5--|[/font]
[font=courier new,courier,monospace]D|--11--4--8--6--|[/font]
[font=courier new,courier,monospace]A|---------------|[/font]
[font=courier new,courier,monospace]E|---------------|[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]...repeated twice. Sounds good to my ears, just basically three major double-stop chords and one minor.[/font]

[quote name='bigthumb' timestamp='1320942624' post='1433538']
I'm friggin sick of it. I was in three bands at one point which ALL did it along with that bloody Sex On Fire song.
[/quote]

Actually I think we might have a stab at 'Somebody Told Me' and KoL's 'Use Somebody', these are probably virtually as ubiquitous in the covers game though!

Must admit..am getting pretty close to vetoing some songs.

But.....you live and die by the set you do...and it is far easier to be popular if you play songs people know.
A friends band picks and keep songs ENTIRELY on what the audience does when they play them....
if they go to the bar, then they drop them. Missing the point there, says the Landlord...:)

I think that idea is ridiculous tho as we have a duty to educate some of the punters,.... :) :)

I refuse to do a KoL number though... and other songs are confined to a party-dancey set...

We currently do 'Molly's chambers' by KoL and it goes down well usually, plus it's only very short and easy so no great effort to learn. Use Somebody has some nice dynamics so I think we'll give that a go, not going to do Sex On Fire though, it's getting to be a bit Mustang Sally for the newer generation (plus I'm not sure I can get the vox and bassline separate enough in my head for one of them to not go horribly wrong!).

Edited by KevB

Thanks for the tabs and the theory for the 'missing notes'. (they were there all along!). It seems to do the trick.

I agree that certain songs have been done to death, and most of them have been mentioned in this thread i reckon!!

KoL - yes we do Molly's Chambers (simple), Sex on Fire (boring), and Use Somebody (i can live with that tbh)
Mr Brightside - everybody seems to do it judging by this thread.

But the thing is.........the crowd request them, screaming in between every song. We've even been abused by a crowd of drunken girls for not doing Brightside!!!
And at the end of the day/night, they're the one that pay our wages, so we play what they want to hear.

And whats wrong with Mustang Sally?!! Its a classic!! :)