Why become a member? ×

Rush - Time Machine Tour Blu Ray / DVD / CD

wateroftyne

[quote name='steverickwood' timestamp='1320911221' post='1432943']
I just got the dvd - The performance is vibrant and as for sound, well, everyones a sound guy these days aren't they? Like everyone at a football match knows 'what the manager needs to do'..
[/quote]
Dunno if that was aimed at me, but my comments were based on the CD. I'll have the Blu-Ray and day now, and I'd expect (hope) the mix to be a lot better, as they generally are.

Going back to the CD - I'll revise my opinion slightly based on listening to quite a bit of it in the car on the way to work this morning. Not very scientific, but...

Anyway, IMO... Ged's bass tone is the best recorded tone he's had in years. The Camera Eye sounds great. Less fizz, more growl.

I was never a fan on Alex's big fat Gibson tone, but the guitar on the CD is much more defined than it has been recently.

So, apart from the horrible reverb they've used, my main beef is with the compression. Because of that, I'll probably only listen to it a handful of times before i get bored of it.

Like I say, hopefully the Blu-Ray will redeem it...

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1320879093' post='1432809']
really?.....
[url="http://www.johnmcferrinmusicreviews.org/rush.html"]http://www.johnmcfer...s.org/rush.html[/url]
guess im not the only one.... :)
[/quote]
Just because it doesn't get played on the radio does not mean it is bad music. 90% of the music I listen to will never see the radio.

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1320843117' post='1432116']
This put me off. Geddy is struggling to reach the high notes these days. I'd rather remember them as they were.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaeJxxuBg5c[/media]
[/quote]

not being a studio tech expert but...does anybody else get the same impression as me that the fluctuations in the voice (especially the SOR clip) sound like auto-tune struggling to track correctly ? :)

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1320916448' post='1432989']
not being a studio tech expert but...does anybody else get the same impression as me that the fluctuations in the voice (especially the SOR clip) sound like auto-tune struggling to track correctly ? :)
[/quote]
Hmm.. I think that's just how he sounds.

Mind you, they've used it before - The Show Of Hands DVD is autotuned to hell in some parts.

Farewell to Kings and Hemispheres Glasgow Apollo gigs they were outstanding.
Vapour Trails gig at Glasgow SECC they were great but sound from Geddy's bass was a little muffled rather than what we generally expect from Rush. Not enough to bother me that much.
I kinda lost touch with Rush after Moving Pictures but was impressed with Vapour Trail and Snakes and Ladders enough so i decided to go back and buy all their studio albums since Moving Pictures.

Not every song is great but some outstanding tracks on most albums.

The one thing i always liked in early Rush live albums was that they didn't seem to cover up mistakes by studio overdubs which IMO isn't a bad thing and you get the true live feel warts and all.

They must be good or people wouldn't buy their albums ??

Dave

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1320916448' post='1432989']
[/quote]He sounded pretty much the same at the Dublin gig a few months ago.

[quote name='Doctor J' timestamp='1320929814' post='1433275']
He sounded pretty much the same at the Dublin gig a few months ago.
[/quote]
maybe he has developed a cunning vocal technique of emulating the auto-tune :)

i saw them on the permanent waves tour at hammersmith odeon and thought they were great but then i was young and impressionable :)

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1320929351' post='1433262']
The one thing i always liked in early Rush live albums was that they didn't seem to cover up mistakes by studio overdubs which IMO isn't a bad thing and you get the true live feel warts and all.

Dave
[/quote]

I don't know about autotune on show of Hands DVD but in response to your point Dave I think Exit..stage left was quite 'fixed' in some paerts but show of hands is quite good for mistakes. But loud and roud so you got to love! Makes you feel human:)

[quote name='steverickwood' timestamp='1320936391' post='1433419']
I don't know about autotune on show of Hands DVD
[/quote]
Marathon - I had it on in the background, while I was doing something else, and I thought... WTF is that? It jumps right out.

No idea why - there was never anything that bothered me on the VHS....

Incidentally, Marathon on the TM Blu Ray is awesome. Strange watching him play it on a Jazz. It's just so... Wal.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1320938188' post='1433461']
Marathon - I had it on in the background, while I was doing something else, and I thought... WTF is that? It jumps right out.

No idea why - there was never anything that bothered me on the VHS....

Incidentally, Marathon on the TM Blu Ray is awesome. Strange watching him play it on a Jazz. It's just so... Wal.
[/quote]

aha1 Will have to check that. And yeah, it needs the wal!

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1320938188' post='1433461']
[/quote]
What makes me jump is that fvcking pyro going off, ridiculous, couldn't they have killed the level a bit?

• 1 month later...

Just got the dvd. I thought Time stand still was really good as I haven`t played the track in ages but I was really dissapointed with Geddy`s singing. He just can`t seem to hit the high stuff anymore. No more Rush dvd`s for me I`m afraid. At least I didn`t pay 60+ quid to see them live.

I`m away back to watch some of the earlier stuff.

Jez

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1323641066' post='1465404']
Just got the dvd. I thought Time stand still was really good as I haven`t played the track in ages but I was really dissapointed with Geddy`s singing. He just can`t seem to hit the high stuff anymore. No more Rush dvd`s for me I`m afraid. At least I didn`t pay 60+ quid to see them live.

I`m away back to watch some of the earlier stuff.

Jez
[/quote]

i have not purchased the DVD yet but I saw them in Dublin last May and Geddy's vocals were faultless. I have seen them a number of times over the years and this was Rush at their best

I saw them live in Glasgow and loved it. As for the new DVD, I really wanted to love it, but as you say, Geddy's singing/warbling is really pretty awful.

I actually gave my Time Machine DVD away, guess that says it all. Back to listening to Exit Stage Left for me!!! Now THAT is a fantastic live album!