Why become a member? ×

New PUPS advice

skhatru

Hi all,

I finally took the plunge and got me a p bass. As a backup bass really, but add a bit of variation to my sounds also. It's a squier vintage modified. White, black pickguard. Previous owner has changed the stock bridge for a Gotoh bridge, and put Fender pup covers on the stock pups. Action is really nice, and have to say, and all round nice bass. Quite a substantial bang for ma buck.

Before I bought it, my idea was to replace the stock pups with "quarterpounders".

My question is, is that my best option? If not, what are my options?

All advice taken on board, and thx for takin time to help a p bass newbie

Cheers

Dougie

In a similar way to you, I picked up a classic vibe P bass from here a couple of weeks ago as a backup. A Wizard traditional P pickup appeared in the for sale section here a week later for £35 and I jumped on it, (I already have wizards installed in my jazz). With upgraded electrics plus new flats it sounds real nice, and is now in danger of usurping my american standard as my goto bass. In true basschat tradition of recommending whatever you use, that's what I'd suggest, but there are many, many other after market P pups out there that somebody else here can tell you about.

Edited by Shambo

I`ve had Seymour Duncan Quarterpounders in Precisions before, and to me, they "de-Precision" the sound. The sound to me is far more metallic - not as in Metallica, but as in clanky, like steel - with greater bottom end, and more shrill highs.

Nothing wrong with that of course, but if you want to keep a traditional P-Bass sound, I wouldn`t go with QPs.

Another vote for the Wizard Thumper, or a Fender Original (62RI). Both sound quite similar to my ears and both give you that woody P tone but with a bit more punch/thump in the low mids.
I have one in my CV P and it really made a nice difference. Same goes for the Wizard 74's in my CV Jazz.
The Fralin is a fantastic pup but costs quite a bit more than the others.