Why become a member? ×

Where to go from here

thepurpleblob

Sorry... another one feeling in a bit of a rut. Some background:

I have been playing for about 10 years (I am 47 now, used to be a percussionist - classical stuff) and have done nothing but play in pub covers bands which is what I wanted to do and I enjoy it. I know a reasonable amount of theory, my technique is good enough for what I play (mostly), my ear is good enough to learn songs (most of the time). I can read but not to a 'site reading' standard.

Trouble is, I am getting bored practicing. In fact I am not practicing much any more. I actually miss being enthusiastic about practicing. I've taken lessons in the past but even that's a bit difficult when I don't have a great deal of 'ambition' (for want of a better word). I'd like to get better at reading (which I know I just need to knuckle down at) and I'd like to get better than I am at knowing my way around the fretboard - my scales and arpeggios knowledge is probably stuck at a basic level. I'm less clear how to improve at that.

Any kicks up the arse very much appreciated :)

I know exactly what you mean!
To be honest I think we have all been there at one point or another :)
I get a kick up the arse by 'depping' for local bands who advertise on a local musicians forum. No committment to continue with the band, but it gives you something to practice for.

Other than that, with regards to practising, I think it's more a case of self discipline and a desire to improve. Don't think anyone can instill those in you though.

Best of luck though, I hope you find some inspiration soon. :)

Suggest, to the bands you play with, a cover you (at the level you are at now) can't actually play. Something that will really stretch and challenge you. It can be a popular song but with a really difficult bassline. Maybe something by Jamiroquai or Hit me with your Rhythm Stick by the Blockheads. The other players parts on these type of songs are pretty simple but the basslines can stretch even the best bass players.
You'll never improve by playing Johnny Cash numbers all night (not that you do but you know what I mean).

The problem is that we have often found ourselves having enough theory and technique for the music we play and see no [i] practical[/i] reason to push ourselves. Options to break the impasse may include deciding on some new covers for your band which push you, technically or harmonically. A recording project? Some composing? An advanced theory book to read that will spark your interest? A reading gig? Some playalongs that take you in new directions? Some jazz charts you don't know? Just have a poke around until you find something to get your teeth into.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' timestamp='1319382752' post='1413382']
Honestly, I've tried hard to appreciate Jazz but I just don't get it. I hate to generalise but it all sounds like, at one end, drippy elevator music or, at the other, an impenetrable racket. Sorry!
[/quote]

Those ends may well be there, but if that's all you've heard, be aware that there's lots of jazz that isn't either a snooze or chaos. Suggest you find a jazz station (or two -- my iMac iTunes thing has about three dozen jazz stations) and listen for a while. You'll be pleasantly surprised, I believe.

tg

Yeah I felt the same way, but started going along to a jazz/funk jam night at uni anyway a couple of years ago. Well now I'm running it, and it has massively improved my playing, I can now walk a chord change like a great big walking thing. Has also had the strange side effect of giving me an appreciation for jazz, probably as we were playing fun stuff, not the smooth jazz nonsense my dad's always listening to.

If you can find a similar local jam, I'd suggest that as your next step.

On a side note, I still veto Girl From Ipanema, I don't care who says it's a classic, to me it sounds like the quintessential backround lift music.

Edited by ZMech

[quote name='ZMech' timestamp='1319445715' post='1414029']

On a side note, I still veto Girl From Ipanema, I don't care who says it's a classic, to me it sounds like the quintessential backround lift music.
[/quote]

I played that at a brass band competition a few years back - I'm particularly glad that I don't do that any more :)

I was in the same boat as you about 18 months ago, but came to the conclusion that I really wanted to be a better bass player than I had been up to that point (had been playing 20+ years).

If you think you need to know your fretboard better, it's pretty much a case of going over the Major (& relative Minor) scales in the Circle of Fifths & naming each note in the scale as you play it. I know I've plugged this book many times on this forum (& I'm not getting paid for it - honest!!) but the Stuart Clayton book on scales & modes might be what you're looking for. The first half of the book might be just what you're looking for as it does venture later on into more Jazz oriented scales & arpeggios, but if you don't need that part of it, then it's achieved what you required in the first place.

In terms of improving your sightreading, it's a case of looking for bass books that concentrate on that subject - one I use is an American book. long out of print (The Complete Electric Bassist). No tab, & the fingerings suggested in the book are more DB based than OFPF.

Hope this helps?

[quote name='louisthebass' timestamp='1319446807' post='1414040']
I know I've plugged this book many times on this forum (& I'm not getting paid for it - honest!!) but the Stuart Clayton book on scales & modes might be what you're looking for. The first half of the book might be just what you're looking for as it does venture later on into more Jazz oriented scales & arpeggios, but if you don't need that part of it, then it's achieved what you required in the first place.[/quote]

I'm waiting for the postie to drop this book off today hopefully, I have high expectations :)

I'm hoping it will get me out the same predicament as the OP.

I'm waiting for the postie to drop this book off today hopefully, I have high expectations :)

I'm hoping it will get me out the same predicament as the OP.

MB1. :)
Having noticed your avatar" if all else fails mickey love ! you could always become a Fireman!" :)

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1319372407' post='1413184']
The problem is that we have often found ourselves having enough theory and technique for the music we play and see no [i] practical[/i] reason to push ourselves.
[/quote]
This is a very good point.It's easy to say 'I don't need (whatever) because.....' (not that you are),and not see how it will
benefit you as a musician.
I know that you're not into Jazz but I find that it is great to study with regards to chords and structures and more.Even if it's
just taking a chart of a standard and looking at and playing the chord voicings and reading the melody. Later you may want
to analyse things further and try soloing over the changes. It might be worth checking out the Ed Friedland books 'Building...'
and 'Expanding Walking Basslines'.
It might also be worth looking at books like 'Chord Studies for Electric Bass','Serious Electric Bass' and 'The Evolving Bassist'.
There is a lot of material in just those three and it gets pretty deep. I can easily spend a couple of hours on one 8-bar exercise
from 'Chord Studies'.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1319372407' post='1413184']
The problem is that we have often found ourselves having enough theory and technique for the music we play and see no [i] practical[/i] reason to push ourselves. Options to break the impasse may include deciding on some new covers for your band which push you, technically or harmonically. A recording project? Some composing? An advanced theory book to read that will spark your interest? A reading gig? Some playalongs that take you in new directions? Some jazz charts you don't know? Just have a poke around until you find something to get your teeth into.
[/quote]

My problem is the learning cliff I've come up against. Would like to learn more theory but need to learn to read. Would like to learn to read but that is no mean feat. Practise is hard work at the moment and not much fun.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1319554183' post='1415702']

My problem is the learning cliff I've come up against. Would like to learn more theory but need to learn to read. Would like to learn to read but that is no mean feat. Practise is hard work at the moment and not much fun.
[/quote]

I think learning anything worthwhile is like that. You can only do so much fun stuff before you get brick-walled by something difficult and time consuming. I now know that to progress much further I'm going to have to nail my site reading and really get all that scale and chord stuff stuck in my head. It's going to be a bit of a drudge but think of the feeling of accomplishment when it all starts to pull together.

In my opinion you can also become bogged down with the theory and what you play can often have no bearing on the chords being played.To keep it simple, if the chord playing is a C and you play a root note of Bb then all you have done is now made the chord a C7. Its all to do with what sounds and feels right and not what in theory may not seem right. I would suggest you practice your reading skills, and I dont mean just playing tunes you know and like, play each and every genre including songs you dont like, this will not only give you a more working understanding of music but will also improve your reading ten fold. Bass being part of a section is not the easiest to practice without the other members and to this end I have put together some files which I have put together for this end which I have made available to all BCers. The transcriptions I have downloaded from the net with a few of my own so you may well have seen most before. What I have done is made a movie of the tune with the transcription visible so no need for scrolling or trying to remember what the original tempo might be. [url="http://www.4shared.com/folder/mSs8voRJ/_online.html"]http://www.4shared.com/folder/mSs8voRJ/_online.html[/url] I must just say the files are for educational purposes only.

• 3 weeks later...

Granted sitting at home just practicing scales and modes can be boring but you have to find ways to keep challenging yourself, when I was younger I would buy so much music of all genres and just try and play along to what I could hear, go to loads of gigs and festivals just to watch other people play and get inspired by what they were doing. Now a days its so much easier with the internet. There is literally tons of stuff available to you that can keep you challenged every single day for hours (if you have that kind of time)

Don't give up though the bass is an amazing instrument :)