Why become a member? ×

better bass for my 12 year old son?

WheresMyJumper

Hi

My 12 year old plays bass and we were given/lent a bass, Crest Columbus. It is a bit rubbish, some of the pots dont work and it is very buzzy. My more knowledgable friend (mind he does play lead guitar) said it would cost more to fix than its worth, so I have been wondering what we could replace it with from the for sale section. My son is at grade 5 on the classical guitar and does a band workshop once a week so he isnt an absolute beginner. his current bass came with a Rocket 20B bass practice amp which has also seen better days.

Any suggestions what we should go for? I guess it also needs to look the part! I was hoping to get away with spending under £200!

Also look out for the Bass Collection instruments made in Japan by SGC Nanyo.

That's a pretty specific description - check the backplate for a sticker stating "SGC Nanyo" and "Made In Japan".

The brand were very high quality in 1988-1995, but the brand was then devalued by lesser copies using the same name afterwards.

Result = You can get a lightweight, high-end bass for silly money, usually less than £200.

[quote name='WheresMyJumper' timestamp='1318609761' post='1404373']
great thanks for the advice, but will it get my son playing 'sweet child of mine' any better!
[/quote]

Only your son will be able to answer that. Get him down to a shop with both high and low value basses. Let him find what he likes in basses and you will be able to narrow down the search.

For example: Jazz basses get a whole load of press and with good reason! However I just can't get on with them, I can play them but not as well as I can play many other basses. Before you buy any bass make sure your son tries and likes it.

I highly HIGHLY discourage buying blind in this case.

Good luck with your search, there are many high quality basses in the budget range you've mentioned on the Sale forum I'm sure one of them will be ideal for him.

More importantly, get your son on this forum. There is so much to learn and so much knowledge on here.

Rik

How much does a Squier vintage modified bass, weigh? Is it not a bit heavey for a young kid ?
(i did google it, i got 13 lbs 18lbs and 12 Killos, i hope non are correct ? ( not the last two anyway) Bloody hell my Classic Vibe Squier is only 11lb)

Edited by daz

My 14 year old daughter who has been playing acoustic guitar for a while wanted to change to electric. I took her to a number of different music stores, and gave her the oportunity to try different guitars on a number of different occasions until she was clear what was comfortable and what she wanted. [a telecaster]
I also persuaded her that she would get more for my money going second hand, and would probably get almost the same back when selling
I would always suggest a precision of some sort but if he doesnt feel comfortable with it, it wont work
Try before you buy

I've a Peavey Milestone 3 I'm selling if that'd be any good (and ideally if you're close enough to the West Mids/Worcestershire to collect), the neck'd certainly suit a young 'un as it's very much on the slim side. http://basschat.co.uk/topic/157565-peavey-bass-starter-kit-fs/page__fromsearch__1

[quote name='WheresMyJumper' timestamp='1318605207' post='1404283']
My more knowledgable friend (mind he does play lead guitar) said it would cost more to fix than its worth,
[/quote]

I would dispute that as a reason for not fixing an instrument... I did it to a guitar I own, spending a considerable amount more on the repair than the value of the instrument alone, and went from having something I barely even looked at to a new favourite guitar. It's worth it even if only for the learning experience.

Ibanez is always a solid suggestion. Low weight is key here for a 12 year old, which is why I think the SGC Nanyo was a great thought. They are great and can be bought cheaply enough, and the weight won't be a problem. Squiers can be a bit heavy IMO. My first bass (aged 13) was as heavy as a concrete slab, not ideal at all!

[quote name='WheresMyJumper' timestamp='1318611772' post='1404413']
Thanks for all the advice. I do have another friend(newish) who is a [b]pro base player[/b] so I could ask him to help, but I thought if I did that my son may end up wanting £1000+ bass!!
[/quote]
How would a baseball player help? :) Only messing.

My first bass was a Vox Standard which picking up now, is probably the heaviest bass I've ever come across (I'm sure it's made of cement). Most kids aren't gonna worry about weight.
Charic's advice is good though, get him to a shop to try a few out. Maybe here? [url="http://www.basscentre.com/"]Clicky linky.[/url]

I'd say this to anyone , not just the Dad of a 12 year old .

Fender basses are still industry standard and have a sound we're used to hearing. They're simple , rarely break - and when they do they're an easy cheap fix. the Squier and Mex Fenders , Precisions or Jazzes , that folk on here are suggesting are a good choice - the right choice even. I've been playing on stage for 37 years and I'd happily go on stage with one. Basses like these are used by pros - and learners are not in a position to tell those pros they're wrong.

When your lad gets the experience to know what he wants from something more upmarket - the Squier/Fender will be a fine back up bass to that choice.