Why become a member? ×

New Bergantino HD Cabs

wateroftyne

I've no idea if the 2x12 vs 1x12 (x2) concept applies to ALL types of manufacturer, but I have seen others discuss this, and they noted due to the overall larger single size box, the 2x12 feels slightly 'bigger' in terms of sound. I've no idea if this is true, to be honest. One thing to consider is that the 2x12 may be voiced differently anyway (on purpose) to give a different tone, because of the idea that its a mid-sized cabinet. Eg the Berg AE112 x 2 are suposedly more aggressive compared to the AE212 which is apparently smoother, and sounds a little 'larger' in the lows.

Don't think it matters, IMO, as the single 12" boxes x 2 I have do very well down low. I'd not want anymore and I run either amp flat on the dials.
2x210's also have great low end so as long as what you have comes up with the goods, I tend to dismiss theorical or pratical ponderings as it doesn't apply to me.

I'd be interested initially in the AE112/DB112's or AE212 in terms of carry. The sound needs to work of course, that is a given.
I am not sure about the handle/handles position on this new HD112, but my leanings of Ceramic over NEO makes it worth a look.

As a general POV, I'd say the 12's sit well but project less well than the 10's.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1318593329' post='1404077']
I've no idea if the 2x12 vs 1x12 (x2) concept applies to ALL types of manufacturer, but I have seen others discuss this, and they noted due to the overall larger single size box, the 2x12 feels slightly 'bigger' in terms of sound. I've no idea if this is true, to be honest. One thing to consider is that the 2x12 may be voiced differently anyway (on purpose) to give a different tone, because of the idea that its a mid-sized cabinet. Eg the Berg AE112 x 2 are suposedly more aggressive compared to the AE212 which is apparently smoother, and sounds a little 'larger' in the lows.
[/quote]

Also remember Im talking about a 4 ohm 2x12 compared to 2 8 ohm 1x12s rather than an 8 ohm 2x12, If you did that then the amp would produce more power for the pair of 12s over the single cab.

It surprises me how often I see people talking about upgrading their amps when their cabs will already be the weakest link in the chain.

It was simply a matter of size (so the wife says)
Boot is large but opening very narrow.
2x12 wouldn't fit in the car whereas the 2off 1x12's do. Simple

I guess it depends on what you are using them for. Horses for courses i guess.

Otherwise one 2x12 would have been bought. Well maybe two. :)

I would point out though that the Berg 1x12's definately change tone once my GB 600 is cranked up. More mid to top end. That suits what I'm looking for.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1318609658' post='1404372']The volume drop is huge due to the cab size, where is Alex Claber to explain when you need him? :)[/quote]

Here! :)

Two 1x12"s will sound and perform identically to a 2x12" with the same woofers, tuning frequency and twice the internal volume as each 1x12", if all cabs are built to the same standards. If one of the designs has more internal airspace per woofer then it will have more bottom (like our Super Twelve vs our Midgets). If the port tuning is different then it gets more complicated! Differences in baffle layout (like diagonal vs vertical woofers) will affect how you hear the mids and highs.

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1318695596' post='1405353']It was simply a matter of size (so the wife says)I would point out though that the Berg 1x12's definately change tone once my GB 600 is cranked up. More mid to top end. That suits what I'm looking for[/quote]

That's caused by the increased harmonic distortion of the woofers going past their clean excursion limit (Xmax) with more than ~150W. The 2x12" would do the same (but not fit in your boot which would make for very quiet bass guitar on the gig!)

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1318696736' post='1405378']
That's caused by the increased harmonic distortion of the woofers going past their clean excursion limit (Xmax) with more than ~150W. The 2x12" would do the same (but not fit in your boot which would make for very quiet bass guitar on the gig!)
[/quote]

Does suit playing "air bass" though. :)

Cheers
Dave