Why become a member? ×

RH450 + 1 x RS210 can I crank to full without fear of damage?

charic

Got a fairly largish gig at the end of this month and I was just wondering whether I'm ok to truly crank the amp up to full without damaging the Cab?

It says it'll handle up to 400 watts and I know the amp is not going to chuck out a true 400 watts (plus the fact it will be running at 8 ohms).

Anyone got any experience on this? I'm a twitchy fella :)

Does that amp not chuck out 236w at 4 ohms :)

On a serious note, use your ears & if it sounds bad, turn it back a bit or lose a touch of bass off it.
I use a Markbass 2x10 combo & haven't had any troubles being heard.

Edited to say, I doubt you'll need to crank it up full.

Edited by xgsjx

The limiting of the RH450 will help you - and you won't break anything by cranking it all the way.... but I would seriously buy another RS210. That way you'll get the volume you need and the amp will perform way better with double surface and 4 ohms load instead of 8

I bought an RS210 plus an RS112 cab from Smash on here... the 112 added to the 210 gives a lovely warm and meaty bit of extra oomph to the overall sound and I would highly recommend the pairing... actually Smash still has one RS112 for sale at a good price, I would seriously consider it if I were you... you get the 4 ohm load from the head and its a featherweight too... :)

[quote name='Tradfusion' timestamp='1318428376' post='1402019']
I bought an RS210 plus an RS112 cab from Smash on here... the 112 added to the 210 gives a lovely warm and meaty bit of extra oomph to the overall sound and I would highly recommend the pairing... actually Smash still has one RS112 for sale at a good price, I would seriously consider it if I were you... you get the 4 ohm load from the head and its a featherweight too... :)
[/quote]

I preferring the idea of 210s and 212's to be honest but thanks for the advice.

[quote name='Tradfusion' timestamp='1318428626' post='1402025']
Ahh I see you are from Ramsey... I go there every August to the 40's weekend with my WW2 reenacting group... lovely place :)
[/quote]

I have honestly never gone to the actual 40s wkend do but when you're next down feel free to give me a shout if you want to try any of my bass gear :)

I'd suggest pairing another 2x10 to your 2x10. 12,s don't have any more bass unless they use a bigger cab (& then it's down to cab design) & then you have the risk of losing certain frequenciesfrom your sound when you mix driver sizes.

Depending on how they tune the cabs, it may or may not have more bass. You'd need to A/B them.
Don't worry about the watts. 2 8 ohm cabs will get about 118 watts each (that's if the amp puts out 236w @ 4ohms & the TC cabs are 8 ohm, but there's another debate about that elsewhere & kinda points to watts DON'T mean volume as the TC amps are loud).

I've got a RS210 and an RS212 with a TC Electronic 450 Classic amp. To be honest, I've got nowhere near the limit of volume yet. It has a great sound and projects really well. It did take me a bit of time to get used to the sound after 12 years with a Trace Elliot rig though - it's smoother and with less punch. For small gigs I just use the 210 and I certainly don't turn the amp up far before it is very loud - much more so than I'd usually expect from two ten inch speakers.

I would listen to the sound from the cab and stop before there is significant distortion - I reckon that will be well below full on the amp.

Paul

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1318354747' post='1401089']
I wouldn't do it, personally. But, I'm sure it can handle a fair whack.
[/quote]

Neither would I...

This is always the problem when people take little rigs with P.A support.
I'd be asking what the monitor mix is ..and if I wasn't satisfied the bass would go through them..and therefore help out your rig,
I would want an alternative set-up.

You may well end up making do on the night which may well spoil the whole gig. I always take my bigger rig for this type of thing knowing I can push the 550w amp to around 7 on the dial
and I know from experience that is loud enough for the drums..no point is going any further and blowing a mix.

If you don't know... go on the side of caution.

Also..because the rig probably isn't man enough for the gig...there is no way I'd let anyone else get anywhere near to pushing something I would be wary of myself.

If you don't know the stage set-up... you need a rig you KNOW will do what you want it to do... as things always get pushed a tad more than you might want...or can hear.

Last gig I did was for a biker rally.

If anybody likes their volume, it's these guys.

I used my old Peavey TNT.
I tend to go as flat as possible on EQ, as I believe that the mid is where my voice is and don't want it lost.
With the TNT on about 1/3 on the post gain and half on pre, it was way more than enough stage volume with the PA doing a bit more heavy lifting.

With my old Trace AH250, I don't think I ever used that at more than 1/3 volume.
We didn't use a big PA back then, it was vocals only, so backline had to do it all.
Both of these stage volumes were enough to convince you that there was some pretty convincing bass volume going on there.

I'm getting to the point, honest.

I don't think I've ever ran any amplifier flat out in my life and if the gig called for that sort of level, I reckon I would be looking to make my excuses and call off. Seriously, are you looking for Lemmy equaling stage volume here ?

If the amp can make 400 actual watts and the speaker, I would reckon you'll be backing it off wayyyy before full tilt.
Having said that, I've tried supposedly 1000 watt amps which couldn't begin to approach the sheer grunt of the old TNT or my old AH250.

Still waiting on the new one arriving, fingers crossed it'll be as good as memory tells me it will.
We have a 2.4KW Logic System PA to do the real work :) :)

Coincidentally all three bands used my TC Classic plus a single RS210 rig at my gig on Friday. DI to the desk with a very classy PA so it was only needed as a stage monitor really. Volume was set at 5/10 and that was just about right for all three pretty noisy trios. Felt like there was plenty more on tap should it be needed.
For gigs with no or not very good PA support I would always bring my RS112 as well.
When I've used the Orange Terror with the same cab there I can't get past 2/10 on the volume without drowning the monitoring out mind. But the DI is so much better on the TC.

If it's a largish gig, a single RS210 may be too small. It sounds good, but there's only so much you can do with those speakers and a smallish enclosure.

I have played in a packed bar with about 100-120 people and it worked. I would have still preferred an extra cab, 'though. When things start getting big, or outdoors, I would definitely ask for a decent PA to DI into.

On the subject of extra speakers, I have used various additions to my RH450 and single RS210.

First I had a mini ABM115 cab. A 15" driver in a very small enclosure. That was ultra portable and it did help sounding "rounder". But it did not add enough meat.

Then I had a Peavey 4x10. That sounded good. The 4x10 and the RS210 on top of it provided serious bass and I never had to turn up much indoors. That is my favourite combination so far... but the cab is bulky and heavy. I think it's just over 40Kg and I can carry it by myself, but it's not comfortable and I almost always got somebody to give me a hand.

Then my guitarist in RHC bought a TC Electronic BH500 amp with a pair of 2x10 and 2x12 cabs (BC210 and BC212).
I tried it and liked it a lot. But what caught my attention were the cabs. They were light, easy to carry, and sounded good. The RS210 is 20-21Kg, the BC210 is 15Kg. The handles on the RS210 dig in my hands, but the round handles in the BC cabs are very comfortable. The centre of gravity on the RS210 makes it tilt awkwardly when grabbed by one handle... the BC210 seems more balanced and easier to carry.
Also the BC cabs are bigger than the RS ones...
So I borrowed the BC212 for a handful of gigs, and paired it to my RS210. The result was not as "ballsy" as with the Peavey 410, but at was not that far off, to be honest. At least not so far that it would bother me, especially considering the difference in weight and bulk.

I borrowed the BC210 for our last gig, last Friday. Same venue where I had used the BC212 a couple of times recently. It was good. But I liked the BC212 better. The RS210 does not lack midrange and top end, especially if you engage the tweeter, and the BC212 I felt had a very nice bottom end. Clearly the larger cab made a difference.
Both BC210 and BC212 are the same size, so there is not a lot of difference betwen them... but I preferred the 212.

So I have now a BC212 of my own and sold the Peavey 410 (yesterday, in fact).

The BC212 has a lower power handling spec (250W), but I suspect it'll work well on its own with the RH450 providing one is sensible (I don't ever max out the levels, nor use extreme EQ)... and I would not attempt to obtain more volume out of it than is possible (playing a 500+ gig outdoors? well, that cab will be great onstage but I would never attempt to use that as the sole source of bass for the audience).

I like stacking vertically the BC212 (bottom) and RS210 (top). The footprint is reasonably small (I don't know about you, but stage real estate is often an issue for me... especialy with Sea Bass Kid, where we have three guitars plus bass, and just added a new member to play trumpet), and stacking them vertically seems to sound better for me, plus it gets the speakers closer to ear height... It's a combination that I am very happy with and works in just about any (normal) situation. Beyond a certain size there will/should always be a decent PA.

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1318348882' post='1400988']
It says it'll handle up to 400 watts :)
[/quote]Power ratings are moot. What matters is displacement. AFAIK only Barefaced reveals the displacement of their cabs. It's worth a look at Alex's site to learn what displacement is, why it matters, and ponder why every manufacturer doesn't provide it.