Why become a member? ×

Just worked out a mistake!

Blademan_98

I have been playing comfortably numb (on bass) for a while now :)

Today, having a bit of spare time, I decided to brush up on it ready for a gig.

Realised I have been playing the outro wrong :) since day one.

Anyone else get that sort of face plant moment when brushing up on tunes?

(or is it just me :) )

Not quite but... When I was about 14 I joined my first proper band (they'd been going for years and were all much older than me), the lead guitar player taught me the intro to Megadeth's Peace Sells. I'd never heard it before and only had what he taught me to go on. I remember one day he said to me "You still play that wrong". I'd still never heard it and still played it the way he taught me! Obviously I've heard it since, but it wasn't until earlier this year that I actually got around to relearning it properly, 22 years later. For some reason when I'd tried to relearn it before I just couldn't get it to stick, I just always reverted to the way I was taught, it took some shaking out, even though it's not difficult.

This might help but the story goes that David Gilmour wanted the bass to be long sustaining notes, whereas Rodger Waters wanted short sharp notes. In the end they couldn't decide so recorded both, got the tapes and physically cut them up so you get alternate sustaining and non-sustaining bass.

Yep, quite a few songs were rushed when i first joined my current band, even simple ones like Brown eyed girl and stuck in the middle. Over the past few years ive sat down and listened to them again and have been surprised at how different i play them. Im not after note for note perfection but sometimes certain parts of a song are best played the original way IMO.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1318237032' post='1399409']
I wouldn't be giving a second thought...tbh.
As long as it worked in the track.
[/quote]
+1
When I was in my Pearl Jam tribute I thought nothing of making up parts that I couldn't work out by listening to the tracks if they were the right notes or not and quite often "improved" parts that I thought were a little boring. Only one guy on the planet could have taken issue with it.... and he didn't turn up to many of our gigs. :)

Don't get me wrong, I am no perfectionist!!!

It was just the ending has some octave bashing bars and it stood out whilst playing along :)

To be honest, I only learned the main part (taught by another bassist) and repeated throughout :)

I wanted to get the timing spot on for the gig and realised I was playing something different :o

If it wasn't a Pink Floyd track, I wouldn't worry :)