Why become a member? ×

The best distortion for me (sound like a whole band)

matt_citizenbass

I currently use a tech 21 comptortion which, even with an EQ after it, loses too much bass.

I need something bigger and fatter but not a fuzz and not too tame and not too expensive.

It needs to sound something in the same vein as this which is what my band sounds like:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7zUVQhYs_w"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7zUVQhYs_w[/url]

It's a boring question, but I'm really stuck.

I was thinking a Marshall Shredmaster but it's hard to find those on the reg.

Thanks d000ds!

xx

Possibly any pedal with an EQ of some description. The Boss ODB-3 can get quite distorted

Apparently the intro to Around The World by the Chilis is done using one of these.

I know its an overdrive pedal but I could never get it to overdrive the way I wanted it before the distortion set in

I found the ODB-3 to be completely useless I have to say. its all fizz, with no distortion in the low end.
I've had much better results from the Boss Mega Distortion, think I picked up mine from ebay for £30 inc adapter and postage.

Si

I would also suggest the original 24v Bass Micro Synth. It might seem like overkill but even if you don't use the suboctave on it or the filter sweep you've still got sliders to mix your clean signal, a distortion signal and an octave fuzz signal, plus the low-pass filter afterwards which you can operate as a static filter if you want, and the resonance slider could be useful for making it uglier / peakier / bassier whatever.

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1317628536' post='1392362']
Possibly any pedal with an EQ of some description. The Boss ODB-3 can get quite distorted

Apparently the intro to Around The World by the Chilis is done using one of these.

I know its an overdrive pedal but I could never get it to overdrive the way I wanted it before the distortion set in
[/quote]

it is indeed, you do have to watch how high you have the gain as it can get fuzzy but you can also use it as a clean boost which i have before and put it after a metal muff and its sounded really nice a crunchy! .

you could always grab the boss ls-2 and blend some clean signal back in to your sound? thats if you like the dist you have at the min

andy

[quote name='matt_citizenbass' timestamp='1317656424' post='1392827']The micro synth sounds cool. But it sounds like it decays too quickly for me. The only problem with blending my clean sound is that my clean sound isn't very bassy. What I could do is blend the clean sound with added EQ... but still, haven't pedal to do it all might be nice...[/quote]

Put in a stereo jack run your neck pick up clean and the bridge distorted ;D

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1317643058' post='1392565']
I found the ODB-3 to be completely useless I have to say. its all fizz, with no distortion in the low end.
I've had much better results from the Boss Mega Distortion, think I picked up mine from ebay for £30 inc adapter and postage.

Si
[/quote]

exactly my experience.

The megadistortion sounds good alone, but if you blend it with some clean bass (I sometimes use a Boss LS-2 for that reason) then it's a real winner.
Alternatively, the Ashdown Hyperdrive is a pretty cool pedal.

[quote name='matt_citizenbass' timestamp='1317717630' post='1393531']
Ok...

soo what cheap signal blenders are there?
[/quote]

I used a Barge Concepts VB-JR before - I've got built into a switching unit max at SFX built me - so could always go that route?