Why become a member? ×

TC RH450 ... & which 12 or 2x12 cab (othe than TC cabs)

Tradfusion

Have a deal in the pipeline on a used RH450 and I'm wondering what guys are enjoying them thru apart from their own brand of TC cabs? I kinda like the idea of the GK 212MBE cab in 4 ohms, I hear they are pretty nice and not too expensive... my only cab at the moment is a Bag End 15 so time will tell how I like that pairing but I'm kinda looking for a change too... surprise surprise... bass player disease! The only stipulation is that it must be reasonably light, as in no more than the 53lbs or so the RS212 weighs... if I got a used RS212 I'd jump on it but they dont appear very often and I'm not sure a 2x10 does it for me going onpast experience... any suggestions appreciated though... :)

Edited by Tradfusion

I had a GK Neo Series 2x12 cab at the same time as my RH450 and was a very good match to my ears. My cab was 8 ohms though, so was not getting the full power out of the amp.
One cab for sale on here that would work very well is a Tech Soundsystems Neo 2x12. Just over 40lbs weight. I think the seller is in Essex but may be worth checking if shipping is an option.

RH450 and Barefaced S12T .. Match made in heaven...And it's 4 ohm...And it looks like TC have fessed up and have said the RH450 is stable into 2.5 ish Ohms so you could always add another midget T or Compact.. But personally what I've got is quite loud enough... :)

Edited by markstuk

I'm using my RH450 with one or two 1x12". Both are custom made by local guy and both are awesome. One is equipped with neodymium Eminence Kappalite 3012-HO, the other one has some kind of 18Sound ferrite speaker. Both cabs are 8 ohm. Depending on situation I use one or both of them, but usually I can hear and feel my bass with just one... I'd say nice 1x12" at 8 ohm should be more than enough for rehearsals and gigs for every non-butcher music.

The amp is running at lower watts at 8Ohms though (iirc im not great at this stuff). So lets say the speaker can handle whatever the TC throws.

1 x 8ohm Cab is going to half the power of the amp and project that
1 x 4ohm Cab is going to get the full power of the amp (actually apparently it has to be a 2.36ohm cab for the full power but we wont go there)

Or am I just daft?

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1316797462' post='1383146']
True, but the speaker is gonna do the same thing with that power & turn it into sound regardless of how much it gets .
[/quote]
The tone can be different though, depending on if the cab is 4 or 8 ohms and what it draws from the amp. Whether it's down to the speaker/s working harder I don't know. Technically not my strong point.
I had 3 Tech Soundsystem Neo 4x10's at one point, with one of those being 8 ohms and the other two 4 ohms. At low volume very little difference. When the cabs were being driven independently there was a difference tonally between the 4 and 8 ohm cabs.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1316798166' post='1383159']
The amp is running at lower watts at 8Ohms though (iirc im not great at this stuff). So lets say the speaker can handle whatever the TC throws.

1 x 8ohm Cab is going to half the power of the amp and project that
1 x 4ohm Cab is going to get the full power of the amp (actually apparently it has to be a 2.36ohm cab for the full power but we wont go there)

Or am I just daft?
[/quote]
No, your not being daft.
An 8 ohm cab will take about 2/3 of the power from the amp, but the amount of watts being fed to a cab does not equate to how loud the cab will go.
A 4 ohm cab wont be twice as loud as an 8 ohm cab, more likely to be about a tenth. :)

Schroeder 1515L with my RH450. 2x15, 800w, 104db - very loud. Absolutely love it, and it weighs bugger all. It's (relatively) tiny, so you have to be a fan of low mids, but dial in some bass and it'll thump like a good 'un. I'm in a rock band with a loud drummer, and it's more than capable of drowning him out if absolutely necessary.

Having said all that, I'd like to try a S12...

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1316791067' post='1383007']
RH450 and Barefaced S12T .. Match made in heaven...And it's 4 ohm...And it looks like TC have fessed up and have said the RH450 is stable into 2.5 ish Ohms so you could always add another midget T or Compact.. But personally what I've got is quite loud enough... :)
[/quote]

+ 1 for this combo. Sounds killer with my Zoot Chaser. :)

Well after all that my deal on the RH450 has fallen thru.. I had it paid for and everything to a guy on TB and when he went to the post office the shipping was double what he quoted me... long story short we agreed to forget it and he refunded my paypal... bit gutted now though!! :)

The RS212 is an 8ohm cab... [url="http://www.tcelectronic.com/media/RS210_212_410_112manual_2_US.pdf"]http://www.tcelectronic.com/media/RS210_212_410_112manual_2_US.pdf[/url] ..... and it's still very load with a 4ohm amp!

I know this because I have one which I'm looking to swap for an RS210, so if you find one my 212 will be free for the selling :)

[quote name='chaypup' timestamp='1317019630' post='1385415']
The RS212 is an 8ohm cab... [url="http://www.tcelectronic.com/media/RS210_212_410_112manual_2_US.pdf"]http://www.tcelectro...manual_2_US.pdf[/url] ..... and it's still very load with a 4ohm amp!

I know this because I have one which I'm looking to swap for an RS210, so if you find one my 212 will be free for the selling :)
[/quote]

I saw that, out of interest... why?

[quote name='Tradfusion' timestamp='1317048434' post='1385933']
....its also sold....
[/quote]
Priced to fly off the shelf.... and it did!

If I was looking for cabs and was starting from scratch I'd check out Barefaced first.

I spend an hour or two playing through Alex's cabs at the bass bash and I thought my RH750 sounded pretty good through the Big Twin and the Super 12. I've already played through 2 Compacts and all Alex's cabs bring out the best in any amp you can name.

If you really feel the need to look elsewhere my TC amps sound fantastic through Bergantino cabs.