Why become a member? ×

West Midlands Bass Bash - 27th November !

TRBboy

(Original post hijacked by Machines)

[b][size=5]NOW BOOKED ! [/size][/b]

[color=#ff0000][size=5][b]SUNDAY 27th NOVEMBER - 1PM-6PM[/b] ![/size][/color]

[size=5]ASYLUM2 (UPSTAIRS BAR)[/size]
[size=5]MADHOUSE STUDIOS[/size]
[size=5]BIRMINGHAM[/size]
[size=5]B19 3LS[/size]

[url="http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/place?q=madhouse+studio&hl=en&cid=3303684660182473455"]http://maps.google.c...684660182473455[/url]

Confirmed people / gear:

[b]Ian Savage[/b]
Hartke 5000, Marshall 7015

[b]yorick[/b]
Orange Terror bass head, SP210 cab, Ampeg PF350 head

[b]TRBboy[/b]
Sandberg Basic 4, Sandberg California PM4, Yamaha RBX270,
Markbass CMD102P / Traveller 151P

[b]Machines[/b]
G&L L2000, Overwater Contemporary J, Yamaha RBX775F,
Ashdown ABM300 + MAG210

[b]seashell[/b]
Fender Precision

[b]nugget[/b]
Thinline 5 string P bass (if finished !)
SWR220 head and Schroeder 212L

[b]MikanHanille[/b]
Musicman Stingray

[b]nibody[/b]
Squier VM Jazz, Epiphone Thunderbird
Ampeg BA115

[b]Caerphilee[/b]

[b]* dunetune_jazz [/b]
[b]* tonyf[/b]
[b]* tauzero[/b]
[b]* birdy[/b]

* = Hope to come but not sure till nearer the time !

[quote name='JMT3781' timestamp='1316727179' post='1382160']theres been talk of one in sutton coldfield, didn't come to anything though[/quote]

I guess I don't even know how it works or what goes on exactly at a Bass Bash, but I like the idea of meeting fellow BCers, chatting bass, and trying some gear i've never tried!

[quote name='JMT3781' timestamp='1316762334' post='1382398']
Whereabouts in the midlands are you bud? i can point you to a few jam nights where you can do such things :)
[/quote]

I'm in Hereford, so about as far west as you can get! Are there regular, smaller gatherings of bass players are there?

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1316861494' post='1383746']The problem we had last time was finding a suitable venue - anyone with ideas is welcome to put them forward ! I think we'll have plenty of interest :).[/quote]

I could give the NEC a ring ;-)

I'm moving back towards Central Brum next week (Moseley), could look around for a boozer that'd have us if people fancy it, say, in November (no point being to close to tomorrow's Stratford get-together!)? The famed Jug of Ale is apparently still going, could enquire if they'd have us for an afternoon pre-gig (I also promote, so could do a one-two punch of a BassChat get-together followed by a gig...)

[quote name='Ian Savage' timestamp='1316897682' post='1384286']I'm moving back towards Central Brum next week (Moseley), could look around for a boozer that'd have us if people fancy it, say, in November (no point being to close to tomorrow's Stratford get-together!)? The famed Jug of Ale is apparently still going, could enquire if they'd have us for an afternoon pre-gig (I also promote, so could do a one-two punch of a BassChat get-together followed by a gig...)[/quote]

Sounds like it might be worth looking into; I'm sure in or around Brum would be best for everyone for accessibility.

Is it worth looking at community halls and stuff?

[url="http://www.theroadhouserocks.com/"]The Roadhouse [/url]might be worth talking to. It's quite large, there's actually a stage there if anyone feels rock-starish, and there's also a reasonably large car park and the access doesn't involve stairs.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1316989809' post='1385306'][url="http://www.theroadhouserocks.com/"]The Roadhouse [/url]might be worth talking to. It's quite large, there's actually a stage there if anyone feels rock-starish, and there's also a reasonably large car park and the access doesn't involve stairs.[/quote]

Looks like it might be worth giving them a call, good spot!

It would definitely be good to get something together, especially reading all the posts about how great the South East Bass Bash was!

I'd be up for this, especially if it was in Brum. Went to the SE one at the weekend and it was great.
It was in a School, which was excellent becuase there were several rooms which could be used for different things such as workhsops, jam room, gear room etc.

I know the people who run the Blue Orange Theatre in Brum (Jewellry Quater).
[url="http://www.blueorangetheatre.co.uk/"]http://www.blueorangetheatre.co.uk/[/url]

It's a, modern studio theatre (flat room with moveable seats), and has a workshop room and bar which can be used for 'breakout' sessions. I believe the rates are quite reasonable. BUT the parking round there is not too great. You can unload on double yellows outside, but then you'd need to drive round and find on streat parking afterwards.

I could check out price and availability if you like.

[quote name='yorick' timestamp='1317028456' post='1385506']
The upstairs bar at The Asylum might be a good place. Just outside the city centre, adequate parking nearby. I can enquire if there's enough interest. Howabout a sunday afternoon 1-5pm ish?
[/quote]

Sounds good, enquire away! As Seashell said though, it might be a good idea if we could have a couple of rooms or something. I could do a workshop about "How to pretend to be a competent bass player"........ :)

I really want to have a get together, but does anyone know how we go about rounding people up? I had never looked in the "Events" forum 'til recently!

[quote name='yorick' timestamp='1317028456' post='1385506']
The upstairs bar at The Asylum might be a good place. Just outside the city centre, adequate parking nearby. I can enquire if there's enough interest. Howabout a sunday afternoon 1-5pm ish?
[/quote]

That's a good call actually, I know Alex who runs the Arkham recording studio over there so might be able to swing a bit of a deal...

[quote name='Ian Savage' timestamp='1317061663' post='1386245']

That's a good call actually, I know Alex who runs the Arkham recording studio over there so might be able to swing a bit of a deal...[/quote]

I just love it when a plan comes together!

Does everyone think there's gonna be enough people interested for it to be worthwhile?

[quote name='SlackAlice' timestamp='1316853983' post='1383644']I'd be up for a West Mids bash - would be an opportunity to visit "back 'ome.........'Om a Black Country girl ay I.....bostin ar kid".....etc...... :)

Angie[/quote]

Oroyt yow, ar am ya? (poor attempt at black country slang!)

Would be good to see you there if it comes off Angie!

Can the folk of Ascot understand what you're saying to them? :)

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1317038021' post='1385697']

Sounds good, enquire away! As Seashell said though, it might be a good idea if we could have a couple of rooms or something. I could do a workshop about "How to pretend to be a competent bass player"........ :)

I really want to have a get together, but does anyone know how we go about rounding people up? I had never looked in the "Events" forum 'til recently!
[/quote]

I think first we'd need to find out the cost of a venue and then work out the minimum number of people you'd need to make it pay. (The entry fee for the SE Bash was £10 a head and any surplus went to charity). Then you ask people to put their names down on a post here and see how many you get.
Do you think that would work?

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1317109202' post='1386698']

I think first we'd need to find out the cost of a venue and then work out the minimum number of people you'd need to make it pay. (The entry fee for the SE Bash was £10 a head and any surplus went to charity). Then you ask people to put their names down on a post here and see how many you get.
Do you think that would work?
[/quote]

I think that sounds like a good plan, my only concern is that people might not notice it in the events forum. Maybe we can get a sneaky mention in on some of the other forums, or put it in our sigs so that people notice when we post?

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1317112999' post='1386754']
I think that sounds like a good plan, my only concern is that people might not notice it in the events forum. Maybe we can get a sneaky mention in on some of the other forums, or put it in our sigs so that people notice when we post?
[/quote]

Good point. The list for the SE Bash was actually started before the events forum was set up, and then moved over. So they already had a fair bit of interest before the thread moved.

But on the other hand I wouldn't want to fall foul of the mods by posting in the wrong forum! You'd have to be a bit sneaky I guess. :)

The signature idea sounds good, once we know what we're doing! :)