Why become a member? ×

Which small light weight amp head?

Davy

[quote name='Davy' timestamp='1316780041' post='1382742']
I've just noticed that the BC212 is only 250w while the BC410 is rated at 500w at 4 ohms which will let the amp head kick out it's full power.
[/quote]
Good point. I'd assumed the BC212 was 4 ohm & higher power. Though you would *probably* still find the 2x12 capable - maybe worth a play in the shop if they have it? But sure either cab would be great - I'm always keen on the smallest/lightest cab, though!

[quote name='Davy' timestamp='1316780041' post='1382742']
I might push the boat out for the RH450 but I can't see the Spectracomp on the front panel. Does it have a compressor?
[/quote]
Yes it does. You press the shift button, and then the gain knob controls the compressor. It's possibly the one drawback of the RH450, not having a dedicated compressor control, where it does on the Classic & the RH750.

If you have to choose between pushing out the boat on the cab or the amp, I'd go for doing it with the amp.

Also, consider second-hand. RS212 [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/154298-tc-rs212-cab-and-cover-l340-please/"]here[/url] for £350, RH450 [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/153961-fs-tc-rh450/page__hl__rh450__fromsearch__1"]here[/url] for £550 and others have gone for less in the last month.

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1316859889' post='1383724']
You really should try the Markbass LMII before you spend.
You won`t find a bad word about it on this forum.
[/quote]
Yep, this is also true, tho it depends on the sound you're after - I ended up changing my LMIII for the TC, but I was after a specific type of sound: Sansamp/Ampeggy valvey old school. The LMIII is very very good.

I tried Markbass LM against the TC RH450 and Markbass was blown mile away... It sounded pretty dull with no spark, quite dead to me. On the other hand, TC was exactly my cup of tea - could do from light valve simulation to pretty fuzzy tone. Those amps are very different! It surely depends on what you're looking for... If you want more "hi-fi" or "pure" sound, you should go with LM, but if you want something more messy, then TC is the way you go.

[quote name='Davy' timestamp='1316693902' post='1381521']In an ideal world I'd have the RH450 but to be honest I'm pushing my funds to get this rig and one of the bands I'm in requires that I tune flat and I'm not sure that the built-in tuner does this. I didn't actually try the 4x10 cab but the 2x10 combo had loads of punch and the 4x10 will give me a bit more volume and spread. No 2x12 instore but I would wouldn't rule one of these out in the future, it'll depend on how I get on with the 4x10.[/quote]
I'd like to try a TC head sometime, they get a good report on here (apart from the watts issue, but if it's loud enough...).

A 4x10 would actually give you less spread than a 2x10 stood vertically like the TC ones are designed to. Why not go for 2 2x10s (or 2x12s)?

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1316585777' post='1379891']
From the list, I`ve only got experience with the TC Classic 450, which is a very good amp - powerful, and very versatile. I`d recommend it to anyone wanting an amp that can cover all bases.

Dependent on what sounds you`re going for, if rock/punk is your thing, the Ampeg PF-500 is worth checking out. Ampeg sound, in an amp that costs less than £400, and that can be carried in a lap-top bag.
[/quote]

+1 to the above.

I have a TC Classic 450 and a BC 2x12 cab and they're great. I also played through the venue's ampeg PF-500 at last night's gig through an Ashdown 4x10 and that sounded really good too (very rocktastic and loud as well).

If you like clean & loud (although you do have tubetone as well if you want a bit of grind) go for the TC Classic 450 but the Ampeg also does the business for £200 less.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Davy' timestamp='1316693902' post='1381521']
In an ideal world I'd have the RH450 but to be honest I'm pushing my funds to get this rig and one of the bands I'm in requires that I tune flat and I'm not sure that the built-in tuner does this.
[/quote]

I'm thinking of selling mine and upgrading to a 750 which I see someones got for sale - don't need the extra power but would like the extra flexibility of the tweeter tone.

Sorry to high jack this thread a bit, but im having a similar dilemma. Got a Hartke VX215 cab, but no head to run through it. Ive checked out a few heads and narrowed it down to these:
-GK MB500
-Hartke LH500
-Peavey Tour 450
-Ashdown MiBass
-Markbass F1 at a push
...and obviously any used head thats under £450.
I play metal music in a band, but most other genres outside that so am looking for a pretty versatile head. Unfortunately, im not in a position to go and try out different heads as i live in the back corner of norfolk a.k.a miles from anything remotely related to bass. I love a bit of grit when needed, but mostly look for a warm, punchy tone with plenty of lows. Any other suggestions apart from those would be welcome. Max I'd pay is £500

PS Dont really care about the weight or size

Edited by LowdownRumble

[quote name='LowdownRumble' timestamp='1317141187' post='1387298']
Sorry to high jack this thread a bit, but im having a similar dilemma. Got a Hartke VX215 cab, but no head to run through it. Ive checked out a few heads and narrowed it down to these:
-GK MB500
-Hartke LH500
-Peavey Tour 450
-Ashdown MiBass
-Markbass F1 at a push
...and obviously any used head thats under £450.
I play metal music in a band, but most other genres outside that so am looking for a pretty versatile head. Unfortunately, im not in a position to go and try out different heads as i live in the back corner of norfolk a.k.a miles from anything remotely related to bass. I love a bit of grit when needed, but mostly look for a warm, punchy tone with plenty of lows. Any other suggestions apart from those would be welcome. Max I'd pay is £500
[/quote]

There's a LM Tube and a LMII on here for way under £500. The Tube'll do grit and is warm, I'd say the LMII is more refined. At the prices they're going for you could resell without losing much - got to be worth a punt in your position. :)

Thanks for all of the replies and advice.

In the end I bought the TC BG500/210 combo that I tried in Sounds Live. Not quite as lightweight as the RH450 + cabs but I got a good deal (£479 from Sounds Live) and I've decided that if the volume isn't enough then we can upgrade the band's PA with bigger powered bass bins.

Picking it up tomorrow and gigging with it tomorrow night.

Will report back with a review.

[quote name='Davy' timestamp='1317387109' post='1390202']
In the end I bought the TC BG500/210 combo that I tried in Sounds Live. Not quite as lightweight as the RH450 + cabs but I got a good deal (£479 from Sounds Live) and I've decided that if the volume isn't enough then we can upgrade the band's PA with bigger powered bass bins.
[/quote]

You know what, that's a pretty good move for that price.

The main loser you have is that you've got one heavy lump to shift about, but at 32kg, it's hardly the worst package in the world - especially at that price!

And, as far as the amp features go, you get a great compromise. You get most of the neat features from the RH450/750 line: tuner, compressor, tubetetone. Heck, you even get presets, albeit less flashy & user friendly than on the RH450/750.

Arguably, that combo's a much better proposition than the Classic 450 plus BG cab.

Look forward to hearing how you get on with it!

Gigged with the amp last night and the first thing I can say is that I don't have to worry if it is loud enough! Had the volume on 5 with a very loud drummer and guitarist with a 4x12 cab and 100w amp head and it more than kept up with them! The guitarist said it was the best sound I'd had since he'd been playing with me.

Still finding my feet with the EQ but as long as the volume is there I can sort out the rest in time.

The weight was no problem for me, in fact my old Peavey 2x10 felt heavier and was certainly more difficult to pick up with the handles being very low down unlike the TC which has the handles higher up.

Very happy so far and surprised by the amount of volume boost the spectracomp provides, I wasn't expecting that! :)