Why become a member? ×

Labella flats... tell me about them...

dlloyd

[quote name='Big Bass Man' timestamp='1319725083' post='1417785']
hey guys
would these:-
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BELLA-ORIGINAL-1954-FLATWOUND-BASS-STRINGS-760M-/110677112694?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item19c4deb776#ht_540wt_721"]http://www.ebay.co.u...76#ht_540wt_721[/url]

be the right length etc to get for my Fender Classic 50's P Bass?
[/quote]
I'm sure they will fit if the bass is toploadable, La Bella don't reccomend string tru.
I myself use the slightly lighter FL version.

[quote name='Big Bass Man' timestamp='1319726888' post='1417824']
Thank you Highfox - yes my bass is toploadable - I may go for the FL version then and get myself groovin'

:)
[/quote]
There's a set in between the 760FL (light gauge- red silks ) and the 760M (Jamerson gauge - blue silks) called 760FS (standard gauge - black silks).

[quote]Thanks guys, for all your help

Does anyone know if anywhere in the UK has any stock?[/quote]

[url="http://www.stringbusters.com/Ko-Bespoke/productlist.asp?cat=1/BASS%20STRINGS/BASS%20STRINGS%20LA%20BELLA"]http://www.stringbusters.com/Ko-Bespoke/productlist.asp?cat=1/BASS%20STRINGS/BASS%20STRINGS%20LA%20BELLA[/url]

[quote name='AntLockyer' timestamp='1319727482' post='1417842']
FWIW I've through strung mine and they haven't snapped. I was very careful and the angle doesn't look 'that' bad.
[/quote]
I've had LaBella Original 54 Oldies strung through on BadAss & Hipshot bridges with no problems & I can't see why they would be any trouble on a standard Fender bridge. After all - the original P bass bridges/bodies were all through mounting.

My favourites remain GHS Precision Flatwounds in 55,70,90,105, personally I find they feel better in every way to the LaBellas.

Edited by KiOgon

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1319727141' post='1417828']
There's a set in between the 760FL (light gauge- red silks ) and the 760M (Jamerson gauge - blue silks) called 760FS (standard gauge - black silks).
[/quote]

There's also the 760FM with light blue silks (49-109), I use - which is between 760M & 760FS.
Not quite as heavy as the Jamerson set - nice tension for me, but with still plenty of thump if needed.

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1319728743' post='1417877']
My favourites remain GHS Precision Flatwounds in 55,70,90,105, personally I find they feel better in every way to the LaBellas.
[/quote]
I believe those are the same as Lakland Joe Osborn Flats. What colour silks do they have? The Osborns are black silks.

[quote name='nick' timestamp='1319739126' post='1418038']

There's also the 760FM with light blue silks (49-109), I use - which is between 760M & 760FS.
Not quite as heavy as the Jamerson set - nice tension for me, but with still plenty of thump if needed.
[/quote]
I've never come across those. I think I may have assumed that 760M and 760FM were the same.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1319739673' post='1418046']
I believe those are the same as Lakland Joe Osborn Flats. What colour silks do they have? The Osborns are black silks.
[/quote]
Deep Purle :) at the tuner, bare naked at the bridge :)

Edited by KiOgon

I have Pyramid Gold flats on my 63P and they are very soft compared to Chromes or La Bellas - they feel like they've been worn in for years immediately out of the packet. Very deep and thumpy (think Motown/Jamerson sonically) and completely unslappable. Only problem is that the E string is hit-or-miss in my experience, sometimes being deader than a dodo

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1319739932' post='1418054']
I have Pyramid Gold flats on my 63P and they are very soft compared to Chromes or La Bellas - they feel like they've been worn in for years immediately out of the packet. Very deep and thumpy (think Motown/Jamerson sonically) and completely unslappable. Only problem is that the E string is hit-or-miss in my experience, sometimes being deader than a dodo
[/quote]
... and they have lilac silks, nice. I've got them on my Decade.

[quote name='Green Alsatian' timestamp='1316465000' post='1378502']
I'd wait for the proper scale length - you'll be turning actual string around the tuners, which isn't good. [/quote]

Can anyone tell me why this is so?

Thanks.