Why become a member? ×

Sandbergs - Tell me about them please - Cali JM4 / PM4

xilddx

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1374112' date='Sep 15 2011, 10:09 AM']I cant really help, but they do look GREAT. Not sure if they are my 'thing', id have to give them a good test.

To me, they look like modern Fenders. If I didnt love my HS Stingray and Sterling, id check one out.[/quote]

I (cautiously) traded my 2005 Ltd Ed Stingray for mine, and never regretted it (apart from the odd pang of nostalgia from time to time - I loved that ray!), they're great basses, and different enough to the Musicman to justify owning both, and still capable of making a reasonable approximation of the MM tone. I'd never part with my Stingray, and still pick that up for my balls-out rock stuff, but if I need a versatile bass that sounds great in any context then it's the Sandberg I turn up with.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1374116' date='Sep 15 2011, 10:17 AM']PS - The prices on Thomann are pretty damn good, IMO. Probably because its from Germany![/quote]
They are so low compared to GG. But then I swore I would NEVER use Thomann again after my recent pitiful expreriences with them regarding the quality of what they sent me and their customer service.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1374182' date='Sep 15 2011, 11:02 AM']Nigel, there are a few decent German outlets that should be able to get you one, and shipped over with no problems. I found another store, (which I will link to) that has a PM4 and JM4 for around £1000 plus 10 Euro shipping.[/quote]
Tha would be ace, thanks G!

i had the opportunity to try a couple of sandbergs. one was a special model made for the italian site megabass.it, and was a well-playing simple instrument. kind of a no frill bass, with just a single sopabar pickup (delano, i suppose) in the sweet spot position. as far as I am concerned, it was a good instrument, but nothing really special.

I also played a 5 string active jazz clone (ash/maple/maple) with delano pick ups: in that particular case I was kind of disappointed. It was, of course, a beautiful bass, great looks and excellent finish. It was also a joy to play, but I ended up thinking that it was kind of lacking in personality.

[quote name='silddx' post='1374159' date='Sep 15 2011, 10:46 AM']They are so low compared to GG. But then I swore I would NEVER use Thomann again after my recent pitiful expreriences with them regarding the quality of what they sent me and their customer service.[/quote]

I remember the grief you had with Thomanns but IMO i wouldn't rule them out. I and many others have had outstanding service from them, way above anything ive ever had from any UK site/shop.

Just saying.

[quote name='biro' post='1374196' date='Sep 15 2011, 11:12 AM']i had the opportunity to try a couple of sandbergs. one was a special model made for the italian site megabass.it, and was a well-playing simple instrument. kind of a no frill bass, with just a single sopabar pickup (delano, i suppose) in the sweet spot position. as far as I am concerned, it was a good instrument, but nothing really special.

I also played a 5 string active jazz clone (ash/maple/maple) with delano pick ups: in that particular case I was kind of disappointed. It was, of course, a beautiful bass, great looks and excellent finish. It was also a joy to play, but I ended up thinking that it was kind of lacking in personality.[/quote]
Many thanks, biro!

The personality bit doesn't bother me tbh, I need a great quality reliable workhorse bass that feels lovely to play, looks good, and has a good tonal range. It can leave the personality bit to me :)

I'm also wondering how Happy Jack will feel when he realises I'm strongly thinking of moving on the bass I got from him last Saturday :)

It's a cracking bass actually, it has the clearest harmonic response of any bass I've ever played. I just find the slab Tele body a bit uncomfy for my small frame and the looks, although fab, aren't really me. I love the Graphite neck though, it is amazing! It's the 5th one down here, the red and black one, it belongs to me now :) [url="http://www.status-graphite.com/status/frames/bassstockvint.html"]http://www.status-graphite.com/status/fram...sstockvint.html[/url]

Finding Sandberg has been a complete revelation to me. Like a lot of folk on here, I've had many, many basses pass through my hands over the years, and I've played loads of others as well in a never ending quest to find "the one".

When I bought my Sandberg Basic, that was it. It really can't get any better for me in terms of feel, sound, build quality, everything. I've played some "boutique" basses costing bucketloads more, but I've never found anything that feels as comfortable and effortless to play, and responds to my playing as well.

Getting my Basic was the final nail in the coffin for my trusty old Jazz, which just felt like hard work to play in comparison.

I have since purchased a PM4 which is awesome, but for me the Basic really is the one. I guess it depends whether you want a Fender look-a-like or not, but I would strongly suggest trying a Basic if you can get your hands on one.

The neck on the PM is a little fuller and more traditional feeling than the Basic (which is very flat and slim), but it feels slimmer (depth-wise) than my Jazz neck, and is just as effortless to play as the Basic.

I am a true convert, and I'd be surprised if I ever own a Fender again!

I've bought both of mine S/H, and I would suggest looking on here and eBay as they don't seem to be holding their value at all well, despite being great instruments. You should easily get one for about £500-£600 in good condition. I got my PM4 for stupid money....... like, ridiculously cheap.

Let me know if you need any more info, or if you happen to be in my area you're welcome to have a try.

[quote name='TRBboy' post='1374364' date='Sep 15 2011, 01:00 PM']By the way, you could also try contact the UK distributor, Synergy Distribution about info on nut measurements, etc.[/quote]
Awesome posts, thank you!

There's one for sale on here now but the seller's not too good at getting back to me and I doubt he will go with my suggestion of him sending it me for a try, so I'll give it a miss given it's damaged and you reckon £500 - £600 is about right.

I'd love to take you up on your offer but I won't be in the WMs for quite some time!

Thanks again mate.

I had a JM4 - lovely thing, sold on here for about £750 last year.

Don't know if it's been mentioned yet in this post but of course, unless things are changing like VERY rapidly, Sandbergs are handmade - I loved mine, but the Delano P'ups were a little anondyne (IMO)

Great great neck and fretwork

get one bought mate! i fooking love mine. Cant really see me moving on to anything else in a long long time if at all. I had mine made at the factory as a custom order with different pickups as i didnt like the delano stuff. I had Haussel pickups fitted as they are a bit more old school style.

The sound the thing pumps out is just great, i have been recording with different basses for a good amount of time now and i have just come out the studio with my PM4 and its the happiest i have been with tone and comfort. The thing just inspires me to play!

The switch between active and passive is mint, hardly any drop in volume and is much more usable on stage than other passive/active basses i have used.

You wont be dissapointed.

Just spotted a Basic on Gumtree for £400! In your part of the world too. No pics but would be worth ringing about for sure!

[url="http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/sandberg-basic-4-string-bass-guitar/87536115"]http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/sandberg...guitar/87536115[/url]

(sorry on my phone and can't get hyperlink to work properly!)