Why become a member? ×

Sandbergs - Tell me about them please - Cali JM4 / PM4

xilddx

I need a bass that ticks my boxes. I need at least 22 frets, active if possible, and something that looks tasty. I have narrowed my current feelings down to a Sandberg California PM4 or JM4. They look fantastic but I can't find one to try and I'll be going for a S/H one. I think I have a good idea of tone, but what about feel and reliability.

What do the necks feel like? I love shallow Jazz necks and nut widths no more than 40mm. The neck is the most important thing to me.

Good balance?

Reliable? Stay in tune, etc.?

Anyone had any problems with one?

Thanks all,
Nigel

Owned a JM4 for yonks now. Well made, sound great. The neck width on mine at the nut is 38.75mm(yes i have some digital verniers) Mine has Delano MM and J pickups, Glockenklang preamp with two band eq, active/passive and a coil tap for the MM.
Overall, a great versatile bass, well worth the dosh.

[quote name='yorick' post='1373448' date='Sep 14 2011, 05:36 PM']Owned a JM4 for yonks now. Well made, sound great. The neck width on mine at the nut is 38.75mm(yes i have some digital verniers) Mine has Delano MM and J pickups, Glockenklang preamp with two band eq, active/passive and a coil tap for the MM.
Overall, a great versatile bass, well worth the dosh.[/quote]
Great stuff, thank you!

Anyone know the nut width on the PM? I prefer the PM body style.

I've a JM5. I've experience of too many bases (I once owned over 20 but I'm alright now). They are very well made indeed and deserve to be held in higher esteem imo.

Tone wise with the M pickup in single coil and the bridge pup in use it is the best sounding jazz I've heard in a warm way. It has plenty of low mids to cut through in a gigging situation. Putting the bridge pup into MM mode and blending to it results in a much more aggressive tone.

It stays in tune really well and the neck is very stable. I'm selling mine soon but because I've just bought my white Sterling 5. I wouldn't say that the Sterling is actually better, just different.

You can't go wrong with them imo and I've not heard anything negative about them

Peter

Not sure on neck measurements as I've never really measured and compared on my basses, I do know that the JM4 feels incredibly comfortable to me. It's probably less chunky than my Stingray neck, although there's absolutely nothing scientific in that assumption!

Stays in tune great, I've never had any tuning issues, or any reliability issues of any kind. Had great aggresive sounds out of it in heavy rock bands with rounds on, plenty of weight and (as much as it pains me to admit it) probably sat in a mix against loud guitars and drums better than my beloved 'ray. Restrung it with Webstrings Detroit flats and played it as my main bass in an Americana/Alt-Country band for two years where the bottom end availble from it really shone.

Out of the basses I own, it probably wins over the others on looks and versatility, and the build quality is flawless. I'd recommend them to anyone.

Mostly very encouraging answers so far! Thank you so much.

I'd really like to know if the PM4 nut width is wider than the JM4, and if neck profiles vary much. If Sandberg follow the Fender principle then I'll need A PM4 body with a JM4 neck :)

Cheers!

Edited by silddx

[quote name='silddx' post='1373662' date='Sep 14 2011, 08:21 PM']Do you? I looked, and found nowt in the internet. What are they mate?[/quote]

They have 3 4 stringers, one is a vintage sunburst roadworn with a MM pickup in the bridge and an inverted P in the neck position then a blue one exactly the same but not roadworn, same pickup configuration and then they have an olympic white again not roadworn but with a J pickup in the neck.

Out of the 3 of them I absolutely loved the roadworn one. All 3 of them are active / passive.

All three basses are very close mix between a Stingray and either a Jazz or a P bass, the bridge humbucker sound is very similar to that of a pre Ernie Stingray, 2 band EQ helps it steer it in that direction, however when played passive is very similar to a Jazz bass single coil, I am not sure if going passive cuts out one of the coils and make it sound single but that was the impression I got, and I know nothing about these basses so I could be wrong. The P pickup is also very nice, these Delano pickups have surprised me as it was the first time I had tried them. The one with the J pickup in the neck position was the one I am not too sure about. But I repeat the roadworn one they have in there is sweet to the max and I nearly bought it if I wasn't more impressed by my American Standard P which I took instead also, the price was a bit steep at £1500.

Try one by all means, you will like them.

When I am a bit flush I might order a 5 strings one with a maple and block inlays roadworn of course, as I have seen one on their website just like that, which looked very sexy.

Edited by Grand Wazoo

[quote name='silddx' post='1373662' date='Sep 14 2011, 08:21 PM']Do you? I looked, and found nowt in the internet. What are they mate?[/quote]
[url="http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_guitars.asp?brandname=Sandberg"]http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_guitars...ndname=Sandberg[/url]

The PM in tobacco is the one we both really like.

All three are in store in Epsom (unless for some reason they've been transferred in the past two days when I've been off).

I'm working tomorrow (Thursday), Saturday and Sunday this week. Let me know if you are coming in.

This Thursday we also have SLASH (AMAGAD) coming in store!

Edited by Bankai

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1373695' date='Sep 14 2011, 08:42 PM']They have 3 4 stringers, one is a vintage sunburst roadworn with a MM pickup in the bridge and an inverted P in the neck position then a blue one exactly the same but not roadworn, same pickup configuration and then they have an olympic white again not roadworn but with a J pickup in the neck.

Out of the 3 of them I absolutely loved the roadworn one. All 3 of them are active / passive.

All three basses are very close mix between a Stingray and either a Jazz or a P bass, the bridge humbucker sound is very similar to that of a pre Ernie Stingray, 2 band EQ helps it steer it in that direction, however when played passive is very similar to a Jazz bass single coil, I am not sure if going passive cuts out one of the coils and make it sound single but that was the impression I got, and I know nothing about these basses so I could be wrong. The P pickup is also very nice, these Delano pickups have surprised me as it was the first time I had tried them. The one with the J pickup in the neck position was the one I am not too sure about. But I repeat the roadworn one they have in there is sweet to the max and I nearly bought it if I wasn't more impressed by my American Standard P which I took instead also, the price was a bit steep at £1500.

Try one by all means, you will like them.

When I am a bit flush I might order a 5 strings one with a maple and block inlays roadworn of course, as I have seen one on their website just like that, which looked very sexy.[/quote]
Bugger. I just saw them. I'm bloody gassing now :)

Did you notice if the JM had a jazz like nut width and if the PM was wider perchance?

Why did you prefer the roadworn?

This is all extremely useful GW, thanks so much for your post!

[quote name='silddx' post='1373740' date='Sep 14 2011, 09:04 PM']Bugger. I just saw them. I'm bloody gassing now :)

Did you notice if the JM had a jazz like nut width and if the PM was wider perchance?

Why did you prefer the roadworn?

This is all extremely useful GW, thanks so much for your post![/quote]

Yes the J one had a J narrow neck, slender body a-la Jazz et all! I reckon you're in there, mate :)

I liked the roadworn in particular because when you play it and feel the neck, you can tell that the ageing process has been done very well, it doesn't feel like a new bass that has just been sandblasted, but one which has been rigorously hand rubbed with some coarse stuff that made the whole thing smooth to the touch and very comfy like if it was really 30 years old.

Cheers

Edited by Grand Wazoo

[quote name='silddx' post='1373420' date='Sep 14 2011, 05:10 PM']I need a bass that ticks my boxes. I need at least 22 frets, active if possible, and something that looks tasty. I have narrowed my current feelings down to a Sandberg California PM4 or JM4. They look fantastic but I can't find one to try and I'll be going for a S/H one. I think I have a good idea of tone, but what about feel and reliability.

What do the necks feel like? I love shallow Jazz necks and nut widths no more than 40mm. The neck is the most important thing to me.

Good balance?

Reliable? Stay in tune, etc.?

Anyone had any problems with one?

Thanks all,
Nigel[/quote]

I've looked at a couple of them in the Bass Merchant. I'm not sure they're what you're looking for as the necks were not particularly narrow or attractively contoured and most of them are equipped with MM style pickups. They look okay but don't stand out sonically or ergonomically IMO.

[quote name='Spoombung' post='1373825' date='Sep 14 2011, 09:57 PM']I've looked at a couple of them in the Bass Merchant. I'm not sure they're what you're looking for as the necks were not particularly narrow or attractively contoured and most of them are equipped with MM style pickups. They look okay but don't stand out sonically or ergonomically IMO.[/quote]
Ahh, interesting, thank you. I love the looks, anything you recommend as an alternative? I don't dig on the Lakland look though.

Think I'll nip into GG and try them.

Edited by silddx

[quote name='silddx' post='1373958' date='Sep 15 2011, 12:41 AM']Ahh, interesting, thank you. I love the looks, anything you recommend as an alternative? I don't dig on the Lakland look though.

Think I'll nip into GG and try them.[/quote]

That's the way to do it, silddx. Just try them for yourself because like most things opinions will change from person to person, you just have to see if it floats your boat or not.

[quote name='silddx' post='1373961' date='Sep 15 2011, 12:54 AM']Yeah, bye![/quote]
I meant "I'll see you then (when you come in)". Not Goodbye!

Although I have a feeling you know and you're just some kind of wind up merchant.... :)

Edited by Bankai

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1373695' date='Sep 14 2011, 08:42 PM']I am not sure if going passive cuts out one of the coils and make it sound single but that was the impression I got, and I know nothing about these basses so I could be wrong.[/quote]

You're right and wrong! The little switch on the control plate is a coil tap for the humbucker, so if that's what you were flicking, you were still active, but getting a single coil Jazz-type sound! The active bypass is a push/pull on the volume knob.

The guy who I bought mine off thought that switch was the active/passive the whole time he owned it, was shocked when I told him I'd found the real switch!

Mike

[quote name='mike257' post='1374053' date='Sep 15 2011, 09:03 AM']You're right and wrong! The little switch on the control plate is a coil tap for the humbucker, so if that's what you were flicking, you were still active, but getting a single coil Jazz-type sound! The active bypass is a push/pull on the volume knob.

The guy who I bought mine off thought that switch was the active/passive the whole time he owned it, was shocked when I told him I'd found the real switch!

Mike[/quote]

Cheers like I said I was left to my device with that bass and no one in the store to tell me what did what. But its cool to know, I was so sure it was a single coil sound I was hearing specially when blending it with the single in the neck I got that typical funky hollow sound you get with a jazz bass with both pickups on full pelt! :) yay