Why become a member? ×

NW BassBash Results!

MythSte

Well what a lovely day!

Personal happy things

-That Sadowsky... I couldnt play it for very long because it was hurting. i mean, really hurting! One of, if not the nicest bass ive played. (Mikeh, make him an offer!!)

-The new Zoot Cabs. you think you've felt light...?

-The Omni 10, Real nice to actually hear what all the hype is about! cracking cab.

But yeah, lots of gorgeous basses and a real nice day!

Thanks to JWbassman for getting us all sorted out, and of course chris and chris. cool stuff!

Top time meeting you guys. Some I already knew, just didnt know it as you all use silly handles...... :)
:huh: Interesting thing was that every single cab was lightweight and compact, no big hefty 8x10's or even 4x10's. times are a changin in the world of bass cabs...the clever ones are using small compact cabs.....

Zoot cabs are simply the lightest thing I have played through, sounded very good, rounded, very much like the Aguilars that I have tried out.

Biggest thing for me was A/B testing the new Omni 10 against other cabs using my Bass and amp...its the only way to know how a settup sounds...try it...

The Omni 10 suprised me with how well it kept up with the other cabs, It strenths are very strong mids. Its only a week old and has yet to be tried out in anger...

Alans Berg cabs are great, but for my taste lacked mids (which is very much the sound I like).

So many nice Basses....
One of Alans ACG bass guitars was there, lovely...now if he could only sort out a graphite headless neck for me.....

His pre-amps are an astounding bit of kit, but you certainly need to forget your usual 'turn it all up to 11' routine. Fantastic tone control.

Johns Fretless Overwater bass was a stunner...But then I'm a sucker for wood....

Ste's 2x12 sounded fantastic, for me it came to life when sat on the deck as it coupled with the floor better increasing its low end.

The only cab that didnt inspire me was the Omni 12 ...I do wonder if the btm end driver is fully bedded in yet as on paper it should have lots more, (I have experienced the exact same thing on a previous Omni15 that I heard before, and after the Driver had been bedded in....massive difference in btm end projection)...

All in all it was top way to spend a few hours on a sunday afternoon....

Big thanks to the guys at the Studio for allowing this to go on, and massive thanks to every body who turned up with gear to play with...and big thanks to Ped and the other organisers.

Dave Perry (omni 10 builder & bald status player with no hat).......

Hey guys

Thanks to you all for turning out - won't have been much of a bash without you :)

Seemed that a good time was had by all and as previously mentioned good to put some names to faces and great to meet some like minded bass folk :huh:.

Thanks to Chris and Chris (Ped) for the venue and to you all for contributing towards it...

Cheers

John

Well I really enjoyed myself. Nice to meet so many fine people and there were some lovely basses rigs there too. Interesting that I could hear myself talk most of the time.

The Sadowsky 5 was amazing, and the Roscoe (sp) was another favourite too. To be honest there were so many nice basses and amps. David's Omni 10 was a huge surprise. I must get my Omni 12 finished and bedded in.

I absolutely fell in love with Russ's Black/maple Stingray 2 EQ, my dream Ray. My offer still stands btw :)

Many thanks to all involved in the organisation and to Alan of ACG for the lift.

Edited by GreeneKing

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='158585' date='Mar 16 2008, 08:49 PM']I absolutely fell in love with Russ's Black/maple Stingray 2 EQ, my dream Ray. My offer still stands btw :)[/quote]

:huh: Ha ha, I'm still thinking about it mate. I'll bring the ray round when I get up there in the next week or two.

Really enjoyed today, a lot. Great friendly atmosphere, no egos, great people and great gear, what more could you want. Particularly good to see Skelf and Ped, long way for them to come, top blokes.

Bass of the day for me was the Sadowsky, just stunning that was, but there were some amazing basses there, and now I'm all gassed up again, thanks for that folks.

[quote name='ste_m3' post='158598' date='Mar 16 2008, 09:17 PM']Ahhh so [i]your[/i] russ!

Id be really interested to have a tinkle on your Levin Sig when its out from the shop. This calls for another bash! :)[/quote]

Yes mate, no problem, once it's back from having the Villex pup dropped in it, and new nut and pots, it should be a stormer.

I had a very pleasant day and can still hear which is a bonus. Had a good chat with various guys. Very impressed with the David's BFM cab I will look into those graphite necks for you. Had a chat with Ped which was wide ranging and most enjoyable I have been a long time fan of Vigier basses. All in all an excellent day.
Alan

[quote name='phsycoandy' post='158611' date='Mar 16 2008, 09:34 PM']Tell us more about these Zoot cabs, Mike is not far from me at Witham and i saw em early on when hed just cut the original cabs etc, do we have any specs, cost more pics etc[/quote]
As the guilty party who brought the Zoot's along, I will get some details/pics together and put them in the lightweight cab thread. They were only delivered on Thursday morning, so haven't done a photo-shoot yet. One thing that was really apparent is the weight. They come in at 32.5 and 34ibs. They are slightly bigger than Aguilar but obviously 10lbs lighter and they DON't have neo's in. Having spoken to Mike just after they were delivered, his original idea of putting Neo's in may be shelved as they are so light but have plenty of bottom end and mids.
It was really good to be able to A/B them against the competition as well.

Great day guys. Really nice to be able to put faces to names and also be thank some people personally for favours etc. Especially Ste for NOT buying the Carvin. :)
Agree with Alan it was much quieter than Bass Day back in November, (regretted not taking earplugs to that one), and there are some really awesome players in the North West.
Thank John/Chris for organising and can we have another some time??????

fantastically light they where...! I mean ive lifted neo cabs before and theyve still had some weight to them. but this is [i]"Oh my god be careful, theres a strong wind!"[/i] light!

I'm genuinly really glad you got the Carvin too BB. Sounds like it was meant to be :)

Hi Folks,

Seems like a great day was had by all and the photos of the day look great - as does all the gear!

Must say it all looks terribly 'posh' too as it's a much nicer studio than the one we held the South East Bash in last August which was a bit of a dive in comparison.. It's really whetted the appetite for the upcoming Bash in Northampton now. :)

It'd be really useful, if anyone's got time, to have some names/details put next to the photos so we can follow things a bit easier from down here in the 'sarf'! Thanks...

Cheers

Nik

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='158712' date='Mar 16 2008, 11:58 PM']It'd be really useful, if anyone's got time, to have some names/details put next to the photos so we can follow things a bit easier from down here in the 'sarf'![/quote]

hehe - I hadn't previously met anyone who attended there today. Since I got home I've identified people who were there by matching the gear I saw to their sigs. I met loads of people, obviously, but they were introduced as Tom Dick and Harry (so to speak) not "Bassist_67" "LowDownPhunkster" and "SLAP!" so it's really really hard to match everyone up.

I had a great time though - some excellent gear to play with and some very very talented players in there. The highlights for me were, I think, listening to Dave slap the beejessus out of my Roscoe SKB3005, the look on people's faces when I fired up the 12string through the Omni and playing the ACG and then meeting the bloke who built it.

That ACG took my breath away and I'm so bloody impressed that I've just sent a set of specs off to Alan and asked him for a build quote.

Top marks to the organisers and heartfelt thanks to everyone who attended. Good to meet you and thanks for letting me play with your stuff.

Dave (aka Scoop - scruffy scouser with beanie hat for those who can't place me)