Why become a member? ×

Turned down a band - have I made the right choice?

Musicman20

Recently Ive been quite busy with my first quality gigging covers band, (apart from one I joined way back 15 years ago).

We have been getting a good amount of bookings, and the fact I get paid is, IMO, a fantastic part of it.

Before you say anything, Ive been playing for absolutely free for over 15 years, since my last foray into covers bands. The last originals band I was in barely covered costs of fuel, and it the end, despite joining again, I left due to the fact I think Ive changed over the past year.

Last week, a friend asked me to join his originals band. The lead guitarist and bass player had left. It is music I like, but Ive always thought they needed 'more' to get going, and become popular, but I agreed, although I told him I was quite busy.

The first rehearsal with the new lineup was a disaster because I was feeling rough and had an early start the next day.

The second, yesterday, was a similar disaster. Basically, I had to stay at work later, and if Im honest, I didnt have the time to go. I needed a few hours to wind down after work.

Anyway, as im moving back up North in less than 10 months, I had a serious think, and I decided it was pointless me joining a new band which would not be gigging for 4 months or more, as there was a lot of work to do.

I also realised once a week rehearsals is enough for me, as I do like to spend time playing and learning at home, and at the moment, ive got a fair amount on. My covers band is playing at least once every two weeks, sometimes twice a week, so I think its time I realised one band is enough.

What is weird, is my attitude towards time and effort are changing. As my covers band require very little time to get the set right, and we practice for free, and the practice room is close to me, and we get paid for our efforts, I found myself getting slightly aggravated by the fact the new originals band were setting strict times/dates and asking that I went at least once a week. I would be shelling out, and not actually getting anything in return. Including hardly any gigs.

Anyway, my friend took it quite personally that I decided to say 'probably not going to happen', but in honesty, I think I'm better off prioritising a band that works/pays and plays more, and that leaving them without a bassist again in 9-10 months time was probably wasted time for myself and them.

What do you guys and girls think? Have I been selfish?

Thanks

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1367447' date='Sep 9 2011, 11:27 AM']What do you guys and girls think? Have I been selfish?[/quote]

Unless you're playing professionaly, there always comes a time where personal commitments, work commitments, money and bandtime all collide.

I'm just starting to feel that now as I've overstretched myself and have had to cut back on some of the dep work and become a bit more picky about studio work that I do.

I don't see this as selfish, there are only 24 hours in a day and there is a finite amount of time and money that you can realisticly commit to spending.

Selfish would have been stringing them along when they could have found someone with fewer commitments and would be around on a long term basis.

[quote name='icastle' post='1367460' date='Sep 9 2011, 11:36 AM']Unless you're playing professionaly, there always comes a time where personal commitments, work commitments, money and bandtime all collide.

I don't see this as selfish, there are only 24 hours in a day and there is a finite amount of time and money that you can realisticly commit to spending.

Selfish would have been stringing them along when they could have found someone with fewer commitments and would be around on a long term basis.[/quote]

^^^ This

I feel exactly the same Gareth. Ive had a few offers to join original bands or projects over the past few years and ive loved the music, but im so used to the easy life with my covers band that to me it felt like too much hard work and too much time that i felt i couldnt spare.

When i was younger, or even before i joined this band i would have been happy to rehearse 3-4 times a week, but with a job, family and the need for some "me" time i just couldn't find the enthusiasm to do all of that, not while im gigging at the weekends anyway.

Your definitely not being selfish, especially as your moving away, in a way your doing them a favour by not messing them around.

Can't quite get a feel for whether you want to do this for you or your mate...

If your mate is upset, and you are rethinking YOUR schedule, lay it all down and say, you'll be off in 10 months, no question, and if that is ok with them...plus they aren't number one priority music-wise, then do it if you feel it will work.

I normally blow things out on the first get-togther if I know it isn't going to work...but some guys are slow into things so 3 rehearsals should show some BIG improvement. I certainly don't think you should flog a dead horse...and I don't believe in being in bands just because you are mates....it HAS to work musically.

So, once you have rethought all the above... then maybe.

The things about originals is that that has to work as well. Some people think an originals band has some sort of kudos or whatever but sh** music is sh** music. If you think the writer has something and you'll enjoy the input then ok... but getting a set together after 4 months and gigging it twice seems a huge waste to me if you have other things deserving attention.

Original bands round here can't keep their members because if they are any good, they are poached by covers bands doing more dates in a month that some do in 2 years.

What are you doing what for..????

[quote name='farmer61' post='1367481' date='Sep 9 2011, 11:52 AM']Not at all, the only issue for you is when you tell the covers band you're moving oop t'north (assuming you'll be leaving them)[/quote]

Ah, luckily Ive covered that already, before we started gigging back in March, but they have plans anyway. The vocalist wants to go abroad for a few months, and may well be moving near where I am going, so there may be more work for me.

We decided just to hammer it as much as possible in the next 10 months.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1367475' date='Sep 9 2011, 11:49 AM']I feel exactly the same Gareth. Ive had a few offers to join original bands or projects over the past few years and ive loved the music, but im so used to the easy life with my covers band that to me it felt like too much hard work and too much time that i felt i couldnt spare.

When i was younger, or even before i joined this band i would have been happy to rehearse 3-4 times a week, but with a job, family and the need for some "me" time i just couldn't find the enthusiasm to do all of that, not while im gigging at the weekends anyway.

Your definitely not being selfish, especially as your moving away, in a way your doing them a favour by not messing them around.[/quote]

That is exactly it, it IS an easier and more rewarding life (for me at the moment anyway) in a covers band. Plus, its only drums/electro-acoustic guitar with vocals/bass....so three members. Gigs and rehearsals are SO easy and have brought me on as a musician quite a lot. The volumes are also much more beneficial; I can actually hear what we all do, instead of fighting against a Marshall stack or two.

[quote name='JTUK' post='1367477' date='Sep 9 2011, 11:50 AM']The things about originals is that that has to work as well. Some people think an originals band has some sort of kudos or whatever but sh** music is sh** music. If you think the writer has something and you'll enjoy the input then ok... but getting a set together after 4 months and gigging it twice seems a huge waste to me if you have other things deserving attention.

Original bands round here can't keep their members because if they are any good, they are poached by covers bands doing more dates in a month that some do in 2 years.

What are you doing what for..????[/quote]

Exactly. Originally they wanted me mid-October, but they started asking me to practice late August, and to be honest, I wasnt prepared with work shifts (Ive been authorised to drop a day at work to put more into the gigs for the covers bands and to play some golf!) so Ive had to cram everything into the 2 nights I am at home with the missus, and she thinks Im taking too much on.

Even mid-October is hard work, because we have 4 gigs in two weeks, plus two rehearsals if necessary.

I totally understand why covers bands attract players; easy money, still good fun, learning experience, easier rehearsals, less stress, and much less chance of playing a duff gig with hardly anyone there and getting paid zilch.

Its not all about money, but it helps, a lot!

I think the decision is right for both parties. I was in a similar spot, auditioned for a band playing heavy/glam rock, which I love, and found out that I`m now at a point where I love listening to it, but not playing it.

So I told the band up front thanks, but I didn`t want to waste their time (it was also a 20 mile drive to rehearsals, which I wasn`t keen on). They asked if I would stand in, until they got someone permanent, and I said yes. Suited all parties. 2 months in, they got a permanent bassist.

So, to Gareth, rather than them getting to a certain standard with you, and then have to do it all again in 10 months time, better they get the right person now. Your decision is probably the best one.

Edited by Lozz196

Comes to most of us I think at some point.
The last time I actually enjoyed doing anything original was recording a friends CD about 15 year back. We promoted it on a few gigs and the novelty soon wore off.
Another friend asked me to join his originals band a couple of months back and I just knew it was something I would regret driving to the first rehersal as my heart wouldn't be in it, plus it wouldn't be long before one of my paid gigs clashed and I know which one I'd rather do from both a financial and enjoyment perspective.
Always nice to be asked though.