Why become a member? ×

C G C F. What cab(s) ?

Turk

Yesterday I had an audition with a band that use C G C F tuning. Original stuff. Hard rock, but not metal. I've been offered the job, with the first gig on Sept 23rd. I really don't think my 2x10 and 1x15 cabs will cope with a 'full on' gig. I'm using a 20yr old Hartke 2000 (200w) head and the speakers are Sheffield 10's and a Bugera 15.

Any suggestions on a more suitable (and ideally not too expensive) set up ?

Edited by Turk

[quote name='Turk' post='1363491' date='Sep 5 2011, 09:42 PM']Recently had an audition with a band that use C G C F tuning. I was offered the job but and really don't think my 2x10 and 1x15 cabs will cope with a 'full on' gig. I'm using a Hartke 2000 (200w) head and the speakers are Sheffield 10's and a Bugera 15.

Any suggestions on a more suitable (and ideally not too expensive) set up ?[/quote]

Bemused about the tuning, but there you go.... but 200w into a 210 and 115 should be easy....unless the cabs have taken a canning elsewhere.
What is the power rating of the cabs..?

I send a low B into 2x210's at loud volumes off a 550w amp. Works fine and sounds great, IMO.

My bas are currently tuned to CGCF, why's it so weird? It's just drop D down a step?

I'm using an SVT2 and an old 70s Ampeg 2x15 with Celestions in it. Handles it fine but I like it to sound like its driven to hell. Fits the music better. :)
Got an Eden head/Ashdown MAG410 cab setup that I use for another band that handles low A pretty well too.

In either case you're never going to hear the fundamental on the C or the A very well out of a bass amp. Should be there through the DI signal though, but whether the PA goes that low is another thing entirely.

Edited by TomTFS

Yep, it does make sense, but I'm not a lover of floppy strings. I'm using my Warwick Streamer, but haven't adjusted the neck for that much of a drop as yet. No way am dropping the tuning on my BB3000. My BB-N4 will be left as standard and just dropped as a back up for gigs, if I take the job.

Edited by Turk

I've played a low B through a single 2x10 and it sounded fine. The added 15 would help too and would certainly be giggable. If you like the sound you get from the cabs already it should be fine really :) but if you do wanna upgrade you can't go wrong with a 4x10. My current cab handles a low A with ease!

[quote name='Turk' post='1363611' date='Sep 5 2011, 11:35 PM']Incedentally, would C G C F have any adverse effect on the neck once it's set up ? What string gauge would be best for lessening the floppy 'four old boot laces' feel ?[/quote]

DR DDT strings, I can't reccomend them enough for drop tuning, pricy, but worthwhile.

[quote name='TomTFS' post='1363588' date='Sep 5 2011, 11:21 PM']My bas are currently tuned to CGCF, why's it so weird? It's just drop D down a step?[/quote]

You're stacking 4ths on 3 and a 5th of another string.....???

Doesn't sound very condusive from a fingering POV...unless anything goes if the tunes are all about open strings.
Otherwise you can do all that from a normal low B set-up...

but anyway.. £1000 would get you a decent set-up in the FS section, I'm sure...a decent amp and a 410 and you are sorted....
or if someone can recommend replacement drivers for the PV, but that sort of thing shouldn't be undertaken lightly, IME.

You could spec the chassis' already there and ask if anyone can spec a comparable driver

If £1k is your budget then you'll find many good rigs in the for sale section on here.
There's a good selection of amps (including a Markbass Rocker), & for cabs there's an Acme B2 & a Markbass 6x10 to start with. And you'd still have change left.
If you went down the combo route, there's a Markbass 2x10 for just £550! & if you needed further, there's a few matching 2x10s, again all below budget.

The last thing I would do is spend money on your old cabs (no offence intended), but reconing an old peavey is gonna cost more than it's worth.

I'm playing in a metal band with the same tuning.

Check out Newtone strings, they made me a custom set and they're brilliant to play. Now my strings are as tight as standard tuning on normal strings (you can't tune back up).

I use my ACG through a TC RH450 & RS210 and the band loves the tone. I'll get another cab when the need arises (probably another RS210)

IMHO change the strings before the cab they will change your sound WAY more than you realise.

I can type in the string gauges I use if you like with the Newtones. Otherwise send me a PM and I can let you know my name so you can ask for a matching set if you're interested.

Edited by charic

[quote name='JTUK' post='1363676' date='Sep 6 2011, 02:16 AM']You're stacking 4ths on 3 and a 5th of another string.....???

Doesn't sound very condusive from a fingering POV...unless anything goes if the tunes are all about open strings.
Otherwise you can do all that from a normal low B set-up...

but anyway.. £1000 would get you a decent set-up in the FS section, I'm sure...a decent amp and a 410 and you are sorted....
or if someone can recommend replacement drivers for the PV, but that sort of thing shouldn't be undertaken lightly, IME.

You could spec the chassis' already there and ask if anyone can spec a comparable driver[/quote]

It's a guitar driven tuning really. However there is absolutely NO WAY I could play these tunes on a 5 or 6 string in standard.