Why become a member? ×

Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray

Guest MoJo

Traded my Midnight Blue Rickenbacker for Martthebass' 30th Anniversary Stingray yesterday. Fret slots were a little shallow making playing around the first three frets hard on the tendons but with some careful use of the nut files and a tweak of the truss rod, this bass is amazing. Almost plays itself. I should have bought a stingray years ago, would have saved me alot of GAS money

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/markmojo/6111742078/"][/url]
[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/markmojo/6111742078/"]Stingray 1[/url] by [url="http://www.flickr.com/people/markmojo/"]markmojo[/url], on Flickr

Really glad you're enjoying her Mark.

After a couple of hours on the Ric my mind is still not made up, but I expected that! It may be a short relationship......but it is beautiful and the sound made me go through a lot of old classic rock stuff that I haven't played for a while.

[quote name='bassman2790' post='1361526' date='Sep 4 2011, 09:07 AM']... this bass is amazing. Almost plays itself. I should have bought a stingray years ago, would have saved me alot of GAS money[/quote]

I had a similar experience when I got my Stingray from [b]Mylkinut[/b] the other month. Such a comfortable bass to play. I love using it, more than any other bass I've owned.

[quote name='witterth' post='1361553' date='Sep 4 2011, 09:56 AM']Paging,Stingraypete....
Stingrays, you just gotta love 'em
they do eveything and look cool into the bargin[/quote]

[quote name='witterth' post='1361702' date='Sep 4 2011, 12:42 PM']Still no Peter? :)[/quote]

Sorry I was out shopping :)

Yep +1 to what everyone else said :lol:

+1, the Stingray appreciation society gains another member. Gorgeous looker in red with rosewood as well, the combo works big time. Clarky - if you're looking for a double bass sound mate, you NEED to try a 2EQ 'Ray, bass full on, treble off, play just at bottom of neck. Nails it like no other, and I've had P's in my time. Oh, and the neck spacings P like as well. You know you want to.... :)

[quote name='Clarky' post='1361706' date='Sep 4 2011, 12:45 PM']Confession time: I have never played a Ray! As I am happy with my Fenders I don't want to either, just in case of GAS :)[/quote]

Never?! Wow! Personally, I think you are in for a treat.

Yes, its never going to have the Fender passive tone, BUT, it is almost like an extension of it.

If you compare it to any Fender, the quality is night and day. The slightest touch gives you a massive tone.

Roll back the treble, stick some flats on it, lovely big warm DB-ish tones.

Have everything flat or raise the treble, with rounds, and use a pick, its just full on aggression and snarl.

As much as I love Fenders, my favourite bass is still the Ray.

I bought a Stingray off of here earlier this year and gigged it once or twice with my band - but TBH, its not really suited to the music I play. I still prefer the old fashioned thump of a Precision bass in all honesty.
Still its horses for courses, there are some folk on here who wont be seen dead with a Fender. :)

[quote name='Jacqueslemac' post='1361834' date='Sep 4 2011, 03:18 PM']Shows how it's all down to personal opinion. I had a 2EQ StingRay and, much as I loved the sound and the feel of the neck, I just couldn't get on with the nut width. To date, it's the only bass I've ever sold.

Still like the look of them, however![/quote]

You surprise me, I find the modern precision neck and EBMM Ray neck to be virtually indistinguishable from a playing point of view. Maybe you should try a Sterling?

Starting to miss 'big Red' already, consoling myself with my 2eq fretless, I've a feeling it won't be long before I'm looking for a fretted sister for her.

Edited by martthebass

[quote name='martthebass' post='1361842' date='Sep 4 2011, 03:33 PM']Starting to miss 'big Red' already, consoling myself with my 2eq fretless, I've a feeling it won't be long before I'm looking a fretted sister for her.[/quote]

Feeling guilty now :)

[quote name='martthebass' post='1361925' date='Sep 4 2011, 05:10 PM']Don't mate, this bass was so pristine that I kept her in a box. Needs to come out and see the light. I'll be putting your Ric up for sale soon, I'll probably get another Ray or a Sterling........no harm done :-)[/quote]
I thought this might happen Mart! You have to dip your toe I guess and hopefully the replacement Ray will be one you feel can use instead of worrying about knocking it about, I heard bassman is thinking of doing a home relic job on it anyway :)

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1361821' date='Sep 4 2011, 03:03 PM']Never?! Wow! Personally, I think you are in for a treat.

Yes, its never going to have the Fender passive tone, BUT, it is almost like an extension of it.

If you compare it to any Fender, the quality is night and day. The slightest touch gives you a massive tone.

Roll back the treble, stick some flats on it, lovely big warm DB-ish tones.

Have everything flat or raise the treble, with rounds, and use a pick, its just full on aggression and snarl.

As much as I love Fenders, my favourite bass is still the Ray.[/quote]
[attachment=88730:128839900466329911.jpg]

I used to have a Stingray. Sunburst, maple neck, from 1978. Bought it for £695.

I thought the Stingray's neck was too chunky and that it was this that was stopping me from being a super bitchin' badass bass player, and so I swapped it for a 74 Fender Jazz Bass.

That was in 1993.

I've still got the Jazz bass, which I record with, and an 88 Streamer that you can see in my picture, which I play live with.

I've just got another Stingray..., and oh my goodness its fantastic.

Why did I let the 78 go?!

[quote name='mike f' post='1362063' date='Sep 4 2011, 07:18 PM']I used to have a Stingray. Sunburst, maple neck, from 1978. Bought it for £695.

I thought the Stingray's neck was too chunky and that it was this that was stopping me from being a super bitchin' badass bass player, and so I swapped it for a 74 Fender Jazz Bass.

That was in 1993.

I've still got the Jazz bass, which I record with, and an 88 Streamer that you can see in my picture, which I play live with.

I've just got another Stingray..., and oh my goodness its fantastic.

Why did I let the 78 go?![/quote]
It would of been slimmer and a tad narrower than your newer one too and I guess you already know what the financial implications were unless you got a good price for it? Hindsight eh :lol:

I tried a Ray in about 1995 and didn't like it as I had a very slim necked Peavey Foundation bass at the time with a nut even narrower than a Jazz, bought a bass collection in 97 then tried one again in 2002 after going to collect my Warwick streamer Jazzman that turned out to have a blown preamp straight from the factory! Put me off Warwick altogether so it was a toss up between a Ray and a Ric as the money was burning a hole in my pocket, tried some Rics and bought the Ray :) I guess the Ric would of been a better buy as it would still be worth what I paid (both basses were about £1300). Still a happy man and ready for Ray number four ASAP :)