Why become a member? ×

Greetings from the North East!

StevieC

Greetings!

I've been reading all the posts for a while now, and thought I'd do the decent thing and register. I'm a very keen amateur
bass player of 20-odd years. (Is it really that long?)

Into all sorts of styles, but I seem to listen to an awful lot of Rush, It Bites and Jamiroquai. I play in a 5-piece covers band playing the odd gig
in pubs and hotels, and I play in the Sunday morning band at my Church.

I don't know how to (permanently) list my gear at the bottom of each post - maybe someone will point me in the right direction -
but I'm currently playing a sunburst Fender Marcus Miller Jazz 4 through a Phil Jones Suitcase and 4B extention cab.

Phil Jones stuff hasn't had one mention on Basschat as far as I can see, but it's fab and would recommend it to anyone. I've had the Marcus
for about 18 months, and love it to bits too.

Anyway, I look forward to getting involved in the site. Bye for now...

Hello and welcome (the Geordie chapter expands).

We don't bite (well some people will if you ask them nicely) and I'm sure your thoughts and views on the P Jones stuff will be welcomed.

re. putting info on as a signature. Go to 'My Controls' (scroll to the top and it's in bold), in there over to the left is Personal Profile and Edit Signature... Robert's your Father's brother!

Aye, There seems to be a few Geordies (including exiled ones) on this site.

Thanks to all for the welcomes.

The last gig I played was back in February at the Rose and Crown in Winlaton
(a far flung outpost of Gateshead for those that don't know)

The place got so hot that my amp tripped out on overheat during the last song. I shouldn't
have put it so close to the wall, and I'll have to watch that next time...

Hi from another exiled Geordie.

Been living away for about 7 years and I'll second the stottie sentiment.

I'm still relatively new here too and have already made some very helpful and useful contacts and got some great advice.

Hope you enjoy the forums and welcome aboard.

Paul

I know I'm new here, but was wondering if the north-east conglomerate has enough muscle to persuade Greggs to start selling stottie in all its national shops?

Even you locals must fancy a bit when you saunter outside the area?

Bit like eating fish and chips in Spain, granted, but.....

I think the nation doesn't know what it's missing. Every "foreigner" I have introduced it to (including the missus) has loved it, so I've even done some unofficial market research....

Washed down with a bottle of "dog", there's nothing better! (Especially at making your gut feel like a lead weight!)

What do you all reckon?

The Stottie Monster".

It could be worth a try! Wispas were brought back by popular demand, so why not the humble stottie?

Not wishing to name drop, I was chatting to one of the Greggs brothers the other day (long story) and he said
the only 'standard' product they make is the sausage roll. Greggs operates nationally because they keep on buying up other businesses so everything else is made to suit the local tastes. It might therefore be a bit of an uphill struggle to persuade the 'powers that be' that the southern softies can handle a stottie. (LOL)

[quote name='StevieC' post='160205' date='Mar 19 2008, 12:43 PM']Not wishing to name drop, I was chatting to one of the Greggs brothers the other day (long story) and he said
the only 'standard' product they make is the sausage roll. Greggs operates nationally because they keep on buying up other businesses so everything else is made to suit the local tastes. It might therefore be a bit of an uphill struggle to persuade the 'powers that be' that the southern softies can handle a stottie. (LOL)[/quote]

Ha ha, so they'll try Paddy McGuinness out with an atomic mouth burning pastie, but not stottie!

I'd love to hear that long story sometime. It's good to hear that fellow members are well connected.

Hello there!!
Im another geordie living in another part of the country, welcome to the forum theres some great people on here, always willing to give great advice especially our geordie bretheren, such as warwickhunt, funkyhobbit, bosshog, wateroftyne,shifrin, etc, good lads lads lots of knowledge, and yes living in bolton means greggs doesnt do stotties, funny though name dropping and all that in lancashire paddy mcguiness(phoenix nights) advertises greggs and hes a distant cousin of my wifes which means i dnt know him a t all( although i have went to a a mcguinnes family do!!) ha still cant get stotties in lancashire(apart from asda)
Greetings! LEE

I've been reading all the posts for a while now, and thought I'd do the decent thing and register. I'm a very keen amateur
bass player of 20-odd years. (Is it really that long?)

Into all sorts of styles, but I seem to listen to an awful lot of Rush, It Bites and Jamiroquai. I play in a 5-piece covers band playing the odd gig
in pubs and hotels, and I play in the Sunday morning band at my Church.

I don't know how to (permanently) list my gear at the bottom of each post - maybe someone will point me in the right direction -
but I'm currently playing a sunburst Fender Marcus Miller Jazz 4 through a Phil Jones Suitcase and 4B extention cab.

Phil Jones stuff hasn't had one mention on Basschat as far as I can see, but it's fab and would recommend it to anyone. I've had the Marcus
for about 18 months, and love it to bits too.

Anyway, I look forward to getting involved in the site. Bye for now...
[/quote]

[quote name='Ba55me15ter' post='160261' date='Mar 19 2008, 02:40 PM']Another greeting from a fellow Geordie (and fellow PJB owner!)[/quote]

So I'm not the only one then! - Which model do you have and what do you think of it? I bought both the Suitcase and the 4B from
Guitar Guitar in Newcastle. I think the guy's name was Steve - he seems to really know his stuff and some of the basses in that shop are
[b]most[/b] desirable.

I was viewing one of the amp threads, where folks have posted photos of their rigs. There are some fantastic rigs amongst them; I used to play through a Trace AH350SMX head and 4 x 10 cab myself, but I honestly couldn't stand the hassle of carting it all around now. The PJB stuff gives me all the bottom end I
want.

[quote name='Huge Hands' post='160305' date='Mar 19 2008, 04:09 PM']Ha ha, so they'll try Paddy McGuinness out with an atomic mouth burning pastie, but not stottie!

I'd love to hear that long story sometime. It's good to hear that fellow members are well connected.[/quote]

Ah, those pasties...not to mention the mince pies which leak everywhere.

Alright there Lee,

Some nice gear you've got there. My first bass was a new 1985 Squire Precision. Wish I still had that,
although I love the tone of the Jazz I have now. Seems to suit all the covers I play in the band.

Sounds like you've chosen to do some enhancements to your old Jazz. You pleased with the results?

I have the PJB Briefcase, and it is the best-sounding amp I have used. That's only as a practice amp mind you, I wouldn't put it up against a drum kit. The tone is just so...I dunno, rounded? The amp is only let down by the compressor which I find a little agricultural, but for practice who cares and for recording I've studio-grade stuff to do the job.
I used to use an AH250/4x10 - I got rid of the cab cos it was just too damn heavy, but I still have the head as a back-up for my Mark Bass SA450 (haven't needed it for a while!). I mostly just use a plastic JBL Eon 15" cab as a monitor these days, and the rest goes through the desk.

[quote name='StevieC' post='162674' date='Mar 24 2008, 03:28 PM']So I'm not the only one then! - Which model do you have and what do you think of it? I bought both the Suitcase and the 4B from
Guitar Guitar in Newcastle. I think the guy's name was Steve - he seems to really know his stuff and some of the basses in that shop are
[b]most[/b] desirable.

I was viewing one of the amp threads, where folks have posted photos of their rigs. There are some fantastic rigs amongst them; I used to play through a Trace AH350SMX head and 4 x 10 cab myself, but I honestly couldn't stand the hassle of carting it all around now. The PJB stuff gives me all the bottom end I
want.[/quote]

[quote name='funkyhobbit' post='164860' date='Mar 27 2008, 10:12 PM']Allreet Steve, good to have you owa on basschat LOL!
whats the name of the band you play in?[/quote]

Funkyhobbit! LOL

We're called Take Cover (Yes I know, bad name, but we don't take ourselves too seriously) Our next gig on 4th April is a private 21st Birthday bash for a student nurse and her mates. It'll be in Whickham if you know it.

Our line up is bass (natch), Lead vocal/electroacoustic, rythym /lead guitar, keys and drums and we have learnt and played around 75 songs in the 2 years that we've been together.

[quote name='StevieC' post='157827' date='Mar 15 2008, 10:04 AM']Phil Jones stuff hasn't had one mention on Basschat as far as I can see, but it's fab and would recommend it to anyone. I've had the Marcus
for about 18 months, and love it to bits too.[/quote]

Oh yes it has! It caused quite a stir to and some of us don't like to mention it. Do a search...

[quote name='Sean' post='167996' date='Apr 1 2008, 11:01 PM']Oh yes it has! It caused quite a stir to and some of us don't like to mention it. Do a search...[/quote]

My apologies - you're right, there are plenty of references. Which side do you fall on as a matter of interest?

Hi steve
sorry for the late reply, just noticed your reply to my thread (sorry) thanks mate im very lucky ive been collecting gear for a long time and wish i was happy, but unlike a lot of GAS heads on here im never satisfied in answer to your question i did the mods on my squire a while ago when i was in my early twenties, because i thought it woould make me sound like marcus miller, couldnt be more wrong ha ha!!, im currently thinking of putting nordstrands in to et more of its old tone back, mind you the EMG jv's are great but very midrangey and it didnt slap as well after i put them in( Not that its's a priority now) they would be fantastic for a fretless jazz though, the EMG circuit i thought was a waste of money doesnt add anything to the sound at all, am thinking of getting a j retro deluxe so i can have the proper passive sound and an active one. I love thw badass bridge though and will add one to any fender i get in the future, i am after a precision next after 18 years of playing ive never owned one.
I note youve got the marcus miller, im really surprised ive never bought one of those, as i adore him.
Keep in touch mate nice talking to you- LEE

Alright there Lee,

Some nice gear you've got there. My first bass was a new 1985 Squire Precision. Wish I still had that,
although I love the tone of the Jazz I have now. Seems to suit all the covers I play in the band.

Sounds like you've chosen to do some enhancements to your old Jazz. You pleased with the results?
[/quote]