Why become a member? ×

At what weight do you consider a bass to be heavy?

Evil Undead

[quote name='Spoombung' post='1358529' date='Sep 1 2011, 10:26 AM']What??? 15lbs? That is absolutely appalling. I mean -what were they thinking when they made it? Sheer incompetence IMO.[/quote]

If it sounds good and is playable to the owner I would disagree entirely.

I'll have to weigh the Yammy RBX6JM (feels heavy) and my ACG (not a feather weight either)

I have to say though, heavy basses FEEL like quality :)

I think the recent obsession with weight is something im not used to. Until using the for sale section, I barely thought about it, and now I spec to be under 10lbs for fear of it being difficult to sell on the second hand market.

Saying that, my old MIA Fender Deluxe P was VERY heavy and awkward. Im guessing it was 12lbs.

Laklands are the worst for weight, in the 5 string department, (IME).

Their JO5s must weight about 12 lbs on average! My Ray 5 HS is so much lighter in comparison.

One of my Status S2s is about 11lbs and I'd say that's a bit heavy, although that's still only about 3.5% of my body weight so I don't really notice it :) . The others are all about 6-9 lbs which feels about right to me.

But I agree with BigRedX that a comfortable, well balanced bass is important, I hate neck heavy basses whatever the weight.

Edited by Fat Rich

[quote name='charic' post='1358649' date='Sep 1 2011, 12:03 PM']I have to say though, heavy basses FEEL like quality :)[/quote]

Until you're spending over £100 a month on chiropractic fees and waiting 2 years for consultant's appointments. Then they feel like a right pain in the proverbials. :)

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' date='Sep 1 2011, 08:14 AM' post='1358395']
I'd consider this to be on the heavy side

Comes in just over 15lb.

Heavy or not, that is a great looking bass. My Spector weighs in at about 11lbs but it feels well balanced and comfortable to play which is much more important to me.

[quote name='seashell' post='1358759' date='Sep 1 2011, 01:27 PM']Unless it's a Marlin Sidewinder, which is what I started with :)[/quote]

I knew someone who tried to convince me a Marlin Sidewinder was a "Vintage" bass worth a lot of money. A quick question on here soon told me otherwise :)

Anything over 9lbs is a no-no for me these days. I can do a 2x1hr set with my Fender Power Jazz bass Special, which is a shade under 9lbs. 4hr rehearsal I prefer something lighter - usually the SGC Nanyo Bass Collection, which is my lightest bass at just under 7lbs. Anything in between is ok, really. My Washburn Scavenger, lovely beast, is sadly around 11lbs so I'll just open the case every now and then to admire it then put it back.