Why become a member? ×

Good time to sell on eBay?

dbass

Hi chaps,

Been a while since I've been on here but just had a quick browse on eBay and it seems almost dead regarding bass + cabs etc.

A couple of Warwick Thumbs and hardly anything Mark Bass related.

Reason I ask is that is it a good time to sell?

I have 3 Warwicks I am looking to get rid of and a Mark Bass 6x10 Classic Cab but unsure if it's even worth trying eBay :/

Obviously going to get them up on here ASAP and hopefully will have more luck!!!

Cheers
Dan

Looking at my last invoice, it seems this is included in the fees, not sure how this works to be honest, ( I think it's me and the way they word it) the VAT however they do calculate it, is at 15% as the invoice comes from Luxemburg.

Hello Dan! Blimey I havn't seen you in ages! :) (nice to see you Sunday mate :) ). Summer is the worst time on Ebay as most folk are away on hols it's the same every year, also Xmas time and New Year is generally dead. Best time is probably late Autumn. Ebay fees are bloody shocking I hate using Ebay to sell, not so bad buying stuff though. Try your luck here on BC again would be my advice. If you are gonna sell on Ebay you may have to up the price a bit just to cover the fees, or say at the end of your ad, "collection only - cash on collection preferred, I would rather not use Paypal" or words to that effect. Leave Paypal as an option but make it clear you'd rather not use it. You may get an email asking you to sell off Ebay anyway. Another option is to sell in a shop, but they will charge a sell on fee. Yet another option is to trade.
All the best with your sale, see you soon mate.....Tony

As above, eBay is increasingly not only a buyer's market price-wise, but is fast becoming a seller's nightmare in other respects also. The fees are prohibitive for sure, but the increasingly draconian rules protecting buyers mean that it is becoming all to easy for those buyers to scam sellers, or at least give the seller a really hard time over anything from postage costs through item description to alleged courier damage/non delivery etc (the opposite of how things were 5 or so years ago I guess). Sell on here.

Thanks for the feedback guys - looks like I will be going private and as a last resort try Mark down at Bass Direct. I know it would sell fairly fast through him but again fee's are stopping at the moment when prices are so crap for Warwicks at the moment. Please come back in to fashion...PLEASE!

Tony - fancy a new bass? :)

Angst about the feedback system / buyer "protection" scams etc I can understand, but I don't understand all the angst about eBay fees. Work them out in advance and then price accordingly.

TBH, now is not a good time to be selling anything, especially Warwicks. There was an absolutely beautiful custom shop Warwick sitting in the classifieds here at a ridiculously low price for a considerable length of time recently. If you're not desperate for the cash I'd consider holding back for a while. Its definitely a buyer's market at the minute.

[quote name='SS73' post='1356189' date='Aug 30 2011, 12:34 PM']When you get the 10% final value fee and then the 4% PPal fee, i'm putting my email address in the ad's now in the hope I get some contact and sell outside the bay.[/quote]

+1

I've just sold my Guild B-301 fretless via that method seeing as I was getting little to no interest on here (I did want that Marcus Miller Jazz though if you're reading it!) (ie listing on ebay for free last weekend, link to photobucket with lots of pics, and putting my email addy in the listing). Cost - precisely nothing. Fees - nothing. And I got what I wanted for it, so everyone's happy. He emailed me after it had ended (with 0 bids) and I let him have it for 20 quid less than the starting bid (which was 30 quid more than what I wanted for it to offset the potential ebay fees).....And breathe

Edited by gareth1982

[quote name='clarkpegasus4001' post='1356696' date='Aug 30 2011, 07:19 PM']I didn't know about adding your email address to the auction because I didn't think it was allowed by Ebay?[/quote]

They've never stopped me. I always put something like 'for more info, use the ask seller a question tab or drop me a line at [email protected]'

I've done it a few times actually. Why make eBay rich(er)?

[quote name='gareth1982' post='1356705' date='Aug 30 2011, 07:31 PM']They've never stopped me. I always put something like 'for more info, use the ask seller a question tab or drop me a line at [email protected]'

I've done it a few times actually. Why make eBay rich(er)?[/quote]

Too right! thanks i'll do that I have some bits i'll be putting up for sale shortly.....on BC first mind! :)