Why become a member? ×

Manchester Bass Day 06/11/11

daz

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1371671' date='Sep 13 2011, 12:37 PM']Are they also offering refunds to those who can't attend the new date?[/quote]
Surely they would be obliged to in law ? I'm starting to think it's just going to be a Marcus Miller gig with a couple of support acts and a few stands.

[quote name='Skol303' post='1371836' date='Sep 13 2011, 02:21 PM']£25 seems a wee bit steep, or are these events generally good bang for your buck$?[/quote]
Depends what you want out of it.

If you want to see MM play live then it's probably a good deal. If you want to try out loads of basses that you wouldn't normally encounter in the shops then it might not be as good a deal as in previous years.

Just had a look at the [url="http://www.bassday.co.uk/retail.html"]retail page for Bass Day, with a floorplan of the stands[/url].

5 stands in the bar/cafe room, and another 5 in the live room with the stage. I haven't been to Bass Day before, but I imagine that's a fair trimming down from previous years.

I don't envy anyone with a trade stand in the main live room.

[quote name='J.R.Bass' post='1371638' date='Sep 13 2011, 12:09 PM']I can't believe theyr'e asking for money from people that have already bought tickets, bad form that.[/quote]

absolutely flabbergasted personally. What he ibasicallyly saying is send me an extra £7 on a ticket i already bought to see Marcuss bloody Miller.

[quote]Dear Darryl

Thank you for your BASS DAY UK ticket purchase.

Courtesy e-mail information.

I would like to inform you of changes to this years BASS DAY UK event.

1. New date: Sunday 6th November 2011

2. New venue: Band On The Wall center manchester City centre

3. New ticket price of £25

This years event will now feature the incredible Marcus Miller.

I hope you can still attend the event, I feel sure it will be the best to-date.

Full up-date: www.bassday.co.uk

If you can still attend please send a cheque for the difference of £7.00

If you are unable to attend for any reason I will send you a full refund.

Please make cheque in the name of S.Williams

Send to:

xxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxx
cccc cccc

Please except my apologies for any inconvenienccompromise forward to your reply.[/quote]

Heres an comprasmise (sp?) idea. How about charging £18 for the bass day and those who want to see MM pay an extra £7 at the stage door ?

Edited by daz

I'm well aware of what Marcus Miller does and it's just not my thing so to me £27 isn't a bargain at all.
Also it's the venue that has put me off. Last year was great as it was spread out well , main theatre was perfect for the performances and good facilities for food etc.
I enjoyed having some time outside too when the noise got to me ! The workshop I enjoyed most last year was Mo Foster in the smaller lecture theatre , I would definately go and see him again.
As for this year , it seems a step backwards for more money , real shame.

[quote name='skychaserhigh' post='1372299' date='Sep 13 2011, 06:49 PM']I'm well aware of what Marcus Miller does and it's just not my thing so to me £27 isn't a bargain at all.[/quote]

Yup, this goes for me too. Still, I won't be going anyway so no problem here!

[quote name='Doddy' post='1369451' date='Sep 11 2011, 02:37 PM']I won't be going though because the date has been moved to the same day that I fly out to
LA.[/quote]
well Ken,
very nice for you and good luck!
LA? eh did you tell us that just to upset/make us Jealous,or simply show off? it worked .( really, though, good luck and I hope "universal studios" & "waterworld" on Orlando Drive is all you hope its gonna be :) )

BOTW/BASSDAY whole thing looks scaled down on past years and for 27 notes!!?! I'm gonna give it a body swerve this year ( now, if they'ed given Charlie Moreneo a gig I'd have gone just for curiousity value, he was entertaining in a"Flashy" way but good fun to watch )
but this year? no thanks
£20 up to £27 whats next? £30 if theres not enough punters showing up?
Poor form it would seem
sorry.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1372412' date='Sep 13 2011, 07:44 PM']Took me a bit to get the Ken joke............[/quote]
"Keep your eye on the ball" Pete!! :)
(1977? you should have got,well did, get that one quick!! ha ha )
BTW,urb got cross with me for that "eye on the ball" comment in tha past, and told me off. but its its only a laugh, hes a sensitve artist maybe. :)

Edited by witterth

I'm really not sure whether i'm going to go or not now.

10 stands don't seem worth it. I'm sure Marcus will be great but it does feel like its a Marcus gig with a couple of trade stands there.

Also, the main room is pretty dark and the lighting sucks so i hope they sort that out, don't want to spend the day in a dingy small room being blasted by trebly slap.

Edited by J.R.Bass

There was only about 10 stands or so before but what a selection of 10 stands!, For those that have never been its not 10 stands selling Squier starter packs etc. RNCM is a great venue and has great stage area and sound in the performance hall is top notch and seperate from the slappers in the trade area (Nigel Clutterbuck will slap very loudly right by the door though during all the performances so get a seat nearer the front if it ever returns to the rncm :) )

Edited by stingrayPete1977

I'm really struggling to see how it's going to work this year.

They say there will be 5 stands in the cafe area & 5 in the live room.

The promenade music stand last year will take up the entire wall of the cafe at BOTW.

So does this mean that the stands are going to be even smaller?

Also, it may work in the live room as i'm assuming they're going to put the stands on the upstairs balcony, but even then i don't feel the space is big enough.

I hope Stevie comes on the forums and explains things before i shell out £25/£27 for a ticket.

[quote name='witterth' post='1372409' date='Sep 13 2011, 07:41 PM']well Ken,
very nice for you and good luck!
LA? eh did you tell us that just to upset/make us Jealous,or simply show off? it worked .( really, though, good luck and I hope "universal studios" & "waterworld" on Orlando Drive is all you hope its gonna be :) )[/quote]

Just stating that that's the reason I won't be going-no showing off intended.(and it's to work not holiday)
About the Ken thing.....where did you think the nickname from? :)

As regards to Bass Day,I can kind of understand the price increase because I've heard rumours in the past about how much
it costs for Marcus....But,a few years ago he did a great clinic at PMT in Manchester,where he did a long Q&A and brought his
band along and it was free entry.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1372461' date='Sep 13 2011, 08:11 PM']There was only about 10 stands or so before but what a selection of 10 stands!, For those that have never been its not 10 stands selling Squier starter packs etc.[/quote]

I think there were 16 stands last year at RNCM, depends what you call a 'stand' really. I can remember: Matamp, TC electronics,EBS, ACG, Bernie Goodfellow, Markbass, Hartke, Rotosound, two or more bass dealer stands, a guy with a huge table of equiupment(Bass Gear?) , a guy with huge table of strings (at fantastic prices) some guy doing a double bass stand, bass guitar magazine (did Yamaha, and Shuker have a stand too ? PMT, Dawsons ?) I must have missed several out.

Edited by daz

[quote name='Doddy' post='1372656' date='Sep 13 2011, 10:55 PM']Just stating that that's the reason I won't be going-no showing off intended.(and it's to work not holiday)
About the Ken thing.....where did you think the nickname from? :)

As regards to Bass Day,I can kind of understand the price increase because I've heard rumours in the past about how much
it costs for Marcus....But,a few years ago he did a great clinic at PMT in Manchester,where he did a long Q&A and brought his
band along and it was free entry.[/quote]
Just having a laugh, have a good trip :)