Why become a member? ×

Help me find the 'right' bass!

DanEly

Sorry if this comes up a lot but Im really after some people opinions and advice. Its coming up to my birthday and I have been lucky enough to be give a budget of at most £1500 to spend on a serious bass. Iv been to a few shops and tried out a fair few that I have had my eye on. I currently own a Fender japan jazz bass with a hip shot trem and schaller tuners. I tired out a few jazz bass's in the shop. I just can't get enough of the sound and tone. Then I tired a Rickenbacker 4003 they look amazing and have such a distinctive tone that I also love. Also tired a Lakland 55-02 that sounded all right, nice tones and a wide range. Now here is my dilemma, Rickenbacker or another jazz bass? I did start to look in to a nice 5 stringer but Im not sure if thats my thing. Any body go any suggestions?

Cheers guys and gals

Try a wide rangeof stuff, not just jazzes.

A jazz is a jazz is a jazz, they'll all sound relatively similar so you arnt going to experience anything they will either confirm or deny that jazzes are right for you.

Since you have what I consider a huge budget make a special trip to bass direct, they have a bit of everything there. Never know what you might end up with.

If you're a jazz bass man with a nice budget then be sure to check out Sadowsky, Sandberg & Shuker. I'd personally also try the new Fender American Deluxe, as they look pretty damn tidy.

Bare in mind you could also get a lot more bang for your buck going second hand though.

A jazz with a term? If you're using the trem you're pretty limited in your choices.

If you don't need the trem, I'd go with something else, MIJ jazzes are very nice and there's no point spending £1500 on a bass that's similar to a good quality one you already own.

I'd be looking at musicmans, Sandbergs, overwaters in that price range 2nd hand. Try 5 strings if you're thinking about that but defo don't buy one new, lots of people don't get on with them and there's no int laying down that much money on such a risk.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1347521' date='Aug 21 2011, 09:00 PM']If you love the Jazz, and have one, and also love the Ricky, but don`t have one, get a Ricky.[/quote]

nail > head.

But as you already have a good bass that gives you a sound you love then I'd probably blow the money on a couple of weeks in the Carribean or similar. It seems a bit unimaginative to just buy another bass. :)

[quote name='flyfisher' post='1348934' date='Aug 23 2011, 12:50 PM']nail > head.

But as you already have a good bass that gives you a sound you love then I'd probably blow the money on a couple of weeks in the Carribean or similar. It seems a bit unimaginative to just buy another bass. :)[/quote]
Hahaha, Would rather spend the money on something that will last :)

Think im going to go for the ricky! I can't get enough of the the way my jazz sounds but the rickys looks are to die for. I should be getting my hands on a fireglo 06 one fingers crossed!